Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CatalystHost Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CatalystHost Review

NevilNevil Member
edited April 2013 in Reviews

Hello LowEndTalk Members,

On the 1st April (not a joke!) I got a message from @Infinity about a promotion by CatalystHost. I though: "Well, why not take a look at it". It was, if I recall correctly, a promotion for their new plan called "Micro" with small specifications (17 USD/year) with a promo code for a free year. I got one for myself :).

Specifications (doubled at their birthday):
20 GB HDD
600 GB BW
128 MB RAM
128 MB vSwap
1x IPv4 IP-address
1 Gbit/s (Austin, Texas, US)

Now I have this baby (Micro) for about almost two weeks soon. A few days (maybe even 1 or 2, can't remember) after I got it CatalysHost had birthday and so my HDD, BW and I-Nodes increased to 2x of what they were before. I've done all kinds of test on it. It performed and still performs perfectly and fast for all my needs!

Performance:
Although it has only 1 E5-2620 core at 2.00 GHz the VPS is really fast! It responds really fast to input and tasks. No delay at all. I installed OpenVPN and the rebuilding of LZO was finished in like less than 1 minute while another VPS I had in Dallas, Texas with 4 cores at around 3 GHz needed more than 5 minutes to complete the task.

Network:
They said it's 1 Gbit/s and it really is 1 Gbit/s. Got top speeds to almost all locations of the FreeVPS Directory & Discussion bench.sh script. SSH input/output is really fast (no delay while input/output is being transfered between VPS and me).

Support:
I haven't really had a reason to consult the support of CatalystHost for things other than changing the rDNS entry of my IPv4 IP-address. So I made a ticket and it was legen wait for it... dary! I made the ticket at 12:34 and the reply that the rDNS was changed came only 5 minutes later by Ryan. That's really fast.

Rating: 10/10

I mean it seriously! The Micro VPS fits all my needs (OpenVPN server for personal use). The network is top and the performance is just awesome. The support is fast, Ryan and Jarland know what they do. CatalystHost ftw!

Thanks a lot @jarland and Ryan! You're great guys.

Comments

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Good post.

• ryanarpryanarp Member, Patron Provider

Thank @nevil we appreciate the kind words. In our books its a good thing if your not contacting us for support all the time, means things are running the way we would like :)

• Thanks @nevil! Very much appreciate your review of us! We try to make sure all of our customers get exactly that, great VPS and fast support!

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2013

Payment sent. ....I mean... kidding guys. I wouldn't, umm... runs away

Thanks for the review! Our primary goal is that it be as snappy a year later as it was on day one. No one wants to rent an apartment only to find that all of their neighbors stay 0.1dB under a noise limit 24/7. It's about communication and working with people to keep everyone happy, be it through offering to help people optimize, or isolating abuse quickly. That's what we try to do, and I love to see it working.

• CoreyCorey Member

Glad to see happy customers ordering your services @jarland @ryanarp @halfeatenpie
    Everyone knows they will be taken care of with you guys.

• @nevil thanks for the review - you got an awesome deal there (17usd for the year then resource doubled - I'm totally jealous!) - and you're in safe/capable hands with the CatalystHost crew.

• We've been very happy with our CatalystHost vps (1024). Good performance and solid network.

• marcmmarcm Member

@jarland said: Payment sent

@jarland - How much for a review?

edited April 2013

@marcm We would never pay anyone $50 for a review. I strongly suggest that you do not email my first name @ mac.com and provide your Paypal info.

• marcmmarcm Member

@jarland said: @marcm We would never pay anyone $50 for a review. I strongly suggest that you do not email my first name @ mac.com and provide your Paypal info.

Good one, lol :-)

• HalfEatenPieHalfEatenPie Veteran
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: @marcm We would never pay anyone $50 for a review. I strongly suggest that you do not email my first name @ mac.com and provide your Paypal info.

I hear whoever e-mails him about a free VPS will get one wink wink

That was a lie.

Or was it?

The world may never know.

Time to ditch another email address!

I ditch old email addresses like summer hosts bail...

• @Nevil said: Support:

I haven't really had a reason to consult the support of CatalystHost for things other than changing the rDNS entry of my IPv4 IP-address. So I made a ticket and it was legen wait for it... dary! I made the ticket at 12:34 and the reply that the rDNS was changed came only 5 minutes later by Ryan. That's really fast.

support is their greatest feature. nice to know the other end is maintained by great people

• OP said Austin... Offers are out of Dallas :)

Good provider... Good review.

edited April 2013

Oh yeah, the IP shows as Austin since that's where Gordon has the business (Incero) registered.

• Doh doh doh! Makes sense... Austin is close enough to Dallas, but I wouldn't want to have to walk :)

Stickler says, fix the IPs so geolocated in right spot... :)

• who is more technical netween ryan and jarland?

• @Jarland I've thought as the more technical, but he's seemingly quiet a busy fellow. Ryan keeps that low cool background profile :)

edited April 2013

@jcaleb said: who is more technical netween ryan and jarland?

The great part is that we're equal, but we both have areas where we need work. In those areas, quite consistently one of us has the skill that the other lacks.

I'm the linux console nerd.

• budingyunbudingyun Member
    edited April 2013

@jarland said: I'm the linux console nerd.

Tell me when you start offering kvm vps. I'll be the first one to purchase. :D

• @budingyun said: Tell me when you start offering kvm vps. I'll be the first one to purchase. :D

that would be nice

@pubcrawler said: Ryan keeps that low cool background profile :)

I am glad I have someone fooled on here ;)

• You know it @ryanarp. Freaking hillbilly ridge running ninja.

@jarland said: The great part is that we're equal, but we both have areas where we need work. In those areas, quite consistently one of us has the skill that the other lacks.

I'm the linux console nerd.

This is what makes us such a great team. We compliment each other. If the both of us are stumped then we get @halfeatenpie to show us up.

@pubcrawler said: Freaking hillbilly ridge running ninja.

I actually like the sound of that.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@Jarland is a good guy :) Keep it up

• Chris is good guy too.

@CVPS_Chris Thanks brother. Look forward to seeing the good things you guys have ahead!

• I had a nice surprise from Catalyst in my inbox this morning - thanks very much guys!

No problem @craigb, welcome back :)