Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner added AMD Ryzen CPUs - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner added AMD Ryzen CPUs

2»

Comments

• willie said: Hmm, true, they charge a lot for IP's and you need the Flexipack and all that. Well, NAT+ipv6 works for me, maybe not for everyone.

You don't need flexi pack for a subnet.

Rodney said: Do you still have to pay the setup fee even if you cancel within 14 days?

No, it is refunded.

Also, if you do this too often Hetzner will in the future deny any service to you and not accept you as customer. This is legal and legitimate with no recourse.

Thanked by 2vimalware Hetzner_OL
  • lurchlurch Member

I'm looking at getting the ryzen 7 to host some vps's on and would be happy to give out some trial accounts.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2017

@Harambe said:
    Fucking cluster. Double post. Ignore me.

That's the ColoCrossing Effect (tm)

Not that I'm particularly dissatisfied with a server, but my CC VPSes had their IPs thrown onto another blacklist. Again.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited October 2017

Surprised this hasn't gained more traction!

https://www.hetzner.com/dedicated-rootserver/ax50-ssd

49 Euros a month for a true 8 core 16 thread setup with modern 32gb of ram DDR4 (potentially even ECC as Ryzen does support ECC) and Raid 1 SSDs coupled with 1gbits guaranteed? PLUS 100gb of free backup?

I have no interest in european Datacenters but if I did this would be on the very top of my list..

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@sureiam said:
    Surprised this hasn't gained more traction!

@sureiam said:
    I have no interest in european Datacenters but if I did this would be on the very top of my list..

Probably answer to why. :!

• The main issue I have with Hetzner, is the fact they use shitty consumer drives in their low-end servers. Oh and their setup fee sucks :-D

• @Zerpy said:
    The main issue I have with Hetzner, is the fact they use shitty consumer drives in their low-end servers. Oh and their setup fee sucks :-D

You can't offer such server's with enterprise hardware within this price range.
    Or do you want shitty network, support and drives with 50.000+ hours??

Thanked by 1Frecyboy
  • graphic said: You can't offer such server's with enterprise hardware within this price range.

Clouvider has enterprise drives in this price range.

• sureiamsureiam Member
    edited October 2017

I'm comfortable with consumer grade 2016+ Model SSDs in raid 1. Confident a raid alert would also be resolved asap. But again for this price range a 3.5ghz 16thread 32gb ram solution is tough to beat.

• ZerpyZerpy Member
    edited October 2017

@graphic said:

@Zerpy said:
    The main issue I have with Hetzner is the fact they use shitty consumer drives in their low-end servers. Oh, and their setup fee sucks :-D

You can't offer such server's with enterprise hardware within this price range.
    Or do you want shitty network, support, and drives with 50.000+ hours??

Actually, you can :-) SM863a is enterprise-grade and isn't exactly expensive. Now in my case, I run two setups of ElasticSearch - one on enterprise grade drives, and one on Hetzner consumer drives.

So far I've managed to kill 4 sets of SSDs from Hetzner and still running on the first batch enterprise drives at another provider - so until now the cost of SSDs is already higher at Hetzner compared to the enterprise version I run somewhere else.

From a cost perspective, the enterprise version isn't really more expensive on a long-term, especially if you're a decent sized hosting provider (like Hetzner is).

The Hetzner network isn't exactly great either, it's decent - but that's about it.

Also, regarding the 50k+ hours - I've yet to see it on other providers that even offer enterprise-grade hardware ;).

@sureiam said:
    I'm comfortable with consumer grade 2016+ Model SSDs in raid 1. Confident a raid alert would also be resolved asap. But again for this price range a 3.5ghz 16thread 32gb ram solution is tough to beat.

2016+ models didn't really improve en their endurance - and QoS still sucks.

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

@excution0x876 was incorrect when he stated that we don't charge until the end of the month. The policy that I think he means is a 14-day policy and is not based on calendar months. See the post from @amitz. Setup fees are refunded if you cancel properly within 14 days of your order. But be warned - as @William said: If you [cancel using the 14 day policy] too often Hetzner will in the future deny any service to you and not accept you as customer. This is legal and legitimate with no recourse.
    Keep in mind that on our admin interface Robot, you need to select "Cancel order" not "Cancel server" to cancel within the first 14 days. There is a linguistic and legal distinction in German that does not translate well into English. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 2mfs Aluminat

We at Hetzner weren't checking LET regularly back in April - so here is some extra info to help clarify a few things.

• The CPUs are capable of ECC, but don't have official ECC support
      As a hoster we choose to follow official guidelines instead of selling features, which are not officially supported by the manufacturer.

• We are offering Ubuntu 16.04 with HWE Kernel (4.10+), Ubuntu 17.04 (Kernel 4.10+) and will soon offer Ubuntu 17.10 (Kernel 4.13) which was released a few days ago. --Katie

Thanked by 3mfs Aluminat vpsGOD
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    We at Hetzner weren't checking LET regularly back in April - so here is some extra info to help clarify a few things.

• The CPUs are capable of ECC, but don't have official ECC support
      As a hoster we choose to follow official guidelines instead of selling features, which are not officially supported by the manufacturer.

• We are offering Ubuntu 16.04 with HWE Kernel (4.10+), Ubuntu 17.04 (Kernel 4.10+) and will soon offer Ubuntu 17.10 (Kernel 4.13) which was released a few days ago. --Katie

Any more plan of free setup?

• @cgs3238 said:
    Any more plan of free setup?

Maybe on BF or next year. It's how they make their money on those systems.

We will announce any free setup fee deals here on LET. But we don't announce them far in advance. --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1boernd
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited October 2017

Hetzner_OL said: The CPUs are capable of ECC, but don't have official ECC support As a hoster we choose to follow official guidelines instead of selling features, which are not officially supported by the manufacturer

This is wrong. AMD officially supports ECC for all Ryzen chips with Zen core. Your mainboards have no official support, this has nothing to do with AMD (and, regardless of this, support ECC aside of EFI - the chips are provided by AMD as well after all).

There are AMD AM4 boards with fully manufacturer tested Unbuffered ECC support and DIMM buyer guidelines.

But yes, generally non-ECC RAM makes more sense but only if faster clocked; Zen profits massively from RAM speed and most Unbuffered modules follow JEDEC to the point, not offering OC steps above them.

Thanked by 1telephone
  • I like AMD but Hetzner's AX series doesn't have advantages over the EX series that I can see.