Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SolusVM Updates! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SolusVM Updates!

2»

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AnthonySmith said:

MikePT said: Sowie... Just posted the email I have received :p

lol no worries, interesting that its the first one you have had about a solusvm update that actually happened in 3 years though eh, even if it was only a version number that got updates haha.

Welllllll... Didn't know that. I do not run SolusVM but Proxmox for our internal VMs :p

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

What a scummy move. I'm assuming the kid they hired to do marketing was getting pressured to actually show up to work and had to look busy for the 8 hours he was there so he came up with this plan to blast out an e-mail with no real news to justify the $50 that they paid him this week. Since they spent that $50 on marketing though, they had to slash their development budget in half meaning they could only pay for maybe 10 lines of code for SolusVM 2.0, it's a sad sad day for SolusVM users. :(

• Those 10 lines were upping $ Id $

• This thread was a roller coaster :( We've been on mainline for months now.

Pretty sure I'm just gonna go to Virtualizor now. The SolusVM delay memes were hilarious before I offered VPS, but now I get to feel the pain of using abandonware with the rest of you guys.

Love SolusVM support though - the other day, they literally told me to just "Google it" when I was trying to resolve an issue with their software. 10/10.

• OnApp is a revolutionary SaaS provider: Sarcasm as a Service.

edited September 2017

Every time I see one of these threads I want to spend the 5 or so hours it would take to release a better control panel but I have too many other projects right now. :(

• Business going strong eh!

@KuJoe said:
    Every time I see one of these threads I want to spend the 5 or so hours it would take to release a better control panel but I have too many other projects right now. :(

@Hxxx said:
    Business going strong eh!

@KuJoe said:

It's been really good. My dad keeps telling me we'd be even better off if I licensed out Wyvern and based on these kinds of threads appearing regularly I don't doubt it.

• I agree with your dad. You both are smart.

@KuJoe said:

@Hxxx said:
    Business going strong eh!

@KuJoe said:

It's been really good. My dad keeps telling me we'd be even better off if I licensed out Wyvern and based on these kinds of threads appearing regularly I don't doubt it.

• oneilonlineoneilonline Member, Host Rep

Why Vern?

As soon as I saw the email, I realized they were throwing a bone :(

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2017

@Arch_Liam said:
    This thread was a roller coaster :( We've been on mainline for months now.

Pretty sure I'm just gonna go to Virtualizor now. The SolusVM delay memes were hilarious before I offered VPS, but now I get to feel the pain of using abandonware with the rest of you guys.

Love SolusVM support though - the other day, they literally told me to just "Google it" when I was trying to resolve an issue with their software. 10/10.

This has got to be my favorite after pointing out solusvm stores ceratin system passwords in plain text:

This is how it works, Do you want us to encrypt the password information? 
    Hope you enabled the TLS support for system backup.

Regards,
    SolusVM L3 MGMT Support

Yes.. L3^

Thanked by 1Arch
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    Yes.. L3^

Maybe Level 1, 2 & 3 is the same person with different login ID

• AnthonySmith said: Do you want us to encrypt the password information?

How do you reply to that, other than "no shit".

Thanked by 1bugrakoc

Aidan said: How do you reply to that, other than "no shit".

pretty much, but first you have to read it 5 times in disbelief and think to yourself "wait, am I the asshole here?"

Thanked by 4Aidan WSS MasonR bugrakoc
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited September 2017
  • @bigcat said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    Yes.. L3^

Maybe Level 1, 2 & 3 is the same person with different login ID

The higher up the chain, the snarkier the response. It's required to appear to be an actual technology company.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Nice, I can't read each points.

Too many improvements.

DewlanceVPS said: Nice, I can't read each points.

or any of the replies evidently.

Thanked by 3MikeA Aidan Clouvider
  • I respect everyone's opinions here. There was a lot of really good feedback discussed regarding our marketing, and I'll be using that improve our email communications.

There was a bit more that went into the release other than simply moving 1.19 from mainline to stable.

Those that were not included in mainline previously:

• Ability to set native disk IO flag
    • Fixing the KVM reboot pre-hook
    • API call for custom port speed on IPv4
    • Lets Encrypt was once again fixed.
    • ... and my personal contribution, fixing adminstrator to administrator :)

Understandably this was not our largest release, and this clearly frustrated some people. Hopefully others did find it helpful being alerted to the newest stable release. Likewise, that as we improve our communication, you do continue to look forward to hearing from us.

edited September 2017

- Feb 2015 "Stay tuned"

- May 2015 "Stay tuned"

- June 2015 "Soon, I promise"

- November 2015 "Details in next few weeks"

- December 2015 "Information in a few weeks"

- December 2015 "Information coming soon"

- January 2016 "Releasing information soon"

- January 2016 "Update very soon"

- January 2016 "Information very soon"

- February 2016 "Information very soon"

- February 2016 "News very soon"

- March 2016 "Information coming soon"

- March 2016 "Hope to have information by end of March"

- May 2016 "Hope to have more info soon"

- August 2016 "Exciting updates scheduled"

Octover 2016 - "it will be released by the end of the year"

November 2016 - "just a few things to fix with the installer"

December 2016 - "it is complete , it just needs a code check"

May 2017 - Preview given to V1 with a new skin (that some of us saw a very similar version of a year before Terry got involved and called it 1.5) with only basic OpenVZ support and called V2 preview

June 2017 - "It will be ready by summer 2017"

End of summer 2017 - Still about 6+ months of work to do and a version update to the stable branch along with a couple of very minor things and some things that were done months ago and reported years ago.

OnApp_Terry said: as we improve our communication, you do continue to look forward to hearing from us.

You can fluff us all you want, it is quite entertaining to see how much hot air a company can produce without delivering on anything, meanwhile, the only person with any real control over solusvm is like:

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited September 2017

>

You can fluff us all you want, it is quite entertaining to see how much hot air a company can produce without delivering on anything, meanwhile, the only person with any real control over solusvm is like:

Although everything you've said is true and accurate, I do appreciate that Terry is trying. It must be really defeating to be in his position with development missing every deadline and never seeming to have any real estimate on effort required to release, I do not envy it.

I heavily suspect the problems are either management or development (or both) problems. Terry is the sales guy, and he does seem to get a lot of shit being the public face of solusvm, despite the release schedule problems almost certainly being in other departments of OnApp.

edited September 2017

jackb said: I do appreciate that Terry is trying.

Yep, he certainly has brought some cohesion, at at least it 'sounds' that way.

jackb said: Terry is the sales guy, and he does seem to get a lot of shit being the public face of solusvm.

Yep, he wanted it that way though I gather, anyone more senior than him has ran away and left him to sink or swim by the look of it.

I have spoken with Terry on the phone briefly, nice guy, but this is pretty much informal business.

The reality is behind the scenes, Phill holds all the cards, as Phill no longer has a voice Terry is our only outlet!

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OnApp_Terry said: There was a lot of really good feedback discussed regarding our marketing

But the really important feedback was everything else.

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Soon™

• @OnApp_Terry

There's a missing GIF being embedded on the page when sending a mass email:

l-o-a-d.gif Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)

• That'll be fixed in 1.22.

WSS said: That'll be fixed in 1.22.

I assume you mean 1.20.03, which will be released in to the beta branch first in 4 months after they become aware of the issue (avg time to get minor fixes in to beta).

4 months after that it will be pushed to mainline (the avg time it takes them to take on board absolutely no feedback whatsoever from beta then update the beta branch to mainline).

About 4 months later they will then renumber it to 1.19.01 stable, which coincidently will coincide with summer 2018 when they yet again fail to deliver solusvm v2 but palm everyone off with some tweaks they did a year ago instead.

My best guess would be that the dev's have just outsourced their jobs to China so they can play pokemon go all day instead.