Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp - Page 4
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Alternative to SolusVM & OnApp

Comments

• moonmartinmoonmartin Member
    edited May 2017

@AnthonySmith said:

@moonmartin said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    ... ...... ..... ... ...

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • Ali1Ali1 Member

Is v2 still being worked on with VirtKick? Will v2 have KVM disk resizing capabilities automatically instead of manually?

@OnApp_Terry said:

@Rhys said:

@OnApp_Terry said:

@moonmartin said:

Not as good as having everything available in WHMCS though.

Completely agree - and the setup is unnecessarily ugly. The v2 WHMCS module will look like a native environment, and not a hacked together plugin.

Will OnApp's ever get that same treatment?

The knowledge will be shared between the two brands, so it will happen. OnApp's are a bit more complicated due to the amount of modules created for it. If you have any specific requests, make sure to notify your account manager. They have routine meetings with the OnApp product manager, and CRO to ensure customer feedback is being listened to.

• @Ali1 said:
    Is v2 still being worked on with VirtKick? Will v2 have KVM disk resizing capabilities automatically instead of manually?

It won't have automatic KVM disk resizing. Feel free to contact me at [email protected], to share other ideas - as we're approaching release, the more customers I hear from regarding ways we can improve the product, the better.

The VirtKick team is not employed by, nor working with OnApp or on SolusVM.

• About SolsuVM v2.

It looks like OnApp have stopped the development.
    I mean.. At the time where SolusVM still was SolusVM there was an Alpha version that already has the basics working. That was 2 Years ago.

• YuraYura Member

@OnApp_Terry said:
    as we're approaching release

Great to hear that. So as soon as OneSite gets acquired by Amazon or shortly after that?

Thanked by 1WSS
  • @OnApp_Terry said: as we're approaching release

Don't you do that over few year now "as we're approaching release" ?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

OnApp_Terry said: It won't have automatic KVM disk resizing.

I think you mean it won't have automatic partition resizing unless you mean that v2 will be less capable than v1 .. which would be pretty stupid.

Thanked by 1racksx
  • WSSWSS Member

I forgot just how brutal you assholes are to people who promise but don't deliver. It warms the cockles of my broken heart.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited August 2017

@MrFunken said:
    About SolsuVM v2.

I mean.. At the time where SolusVM still was SolusVM there was an Alpha version that already has the basics working. That was 2 Years ago.

Not true - we actually brought on one additional developer last week to help us with this final push on the UI. We're getting there guys; it's been a long wait.

@AnthonySmith said:

I think you mean it won't have automatic partition resizing unless you mean that v2 will be less capable than v1 .. which would be pretty stupid.

Yes, thank you for clarifying things further.

• jackbjackb Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2017

@OnApp_Terry said:

@MrFunken said:
    About SolsuVM v2.

Not true - we actually brought on one additional developer last week to help us with this final push on the UI. We're getting there guys; it's been a long wait.

@AnthonySmith said:

Terry - you'll know as well as anyone involved in development here, that a new hire takes ~6 months to get up to speed with an established product.

I know Solus is behind on timelines and trying to save face, but this isn't the place where soundbites will work unfortunately. If a new hire is the news on the ETA for v2, I'm expecting 7+ months.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Terry - you'll know as well as anyone involved in development here, that a new hire takes ~6 months to get up to speed with the product.

I know Solus is behind on timelines and trying to save face, but this isn't the place where soundbites will work unfortunately.

So I agree - this is mostly UI work, and not backend dev. The design team have already given us the elements. The dev team are now going through and converting all the pages to the new design. So you're right, no one can expect him to have the productivity of the team that has been with us the whole way, but when it comes to fine tuning small behavior, it will certainly help.

@OnApp_Terry said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Terry - you'll know as well as anyone involved in development here, that a new hire takes ~6 months to get up to speed with the product.

I know Solus is behind on timelines and trying to save face, but this isn't the place where soundbites will work unfortunately.

So I agree - this is mostly UI work, and not backend dev. The design team have already given us the elements. The dev team are now going through and converting all the pages to the new design. So you're right, no one can expect him to have the productivity of the team that has been with us the whole way, but when it comes to fine tuning small behavior, it will certainly help.

I will say - it is good to hear that you are making an investment in the product. Hopefully solusvm V2 is closer than I thought.

• WSSWSS Member

@jackb said:
    Terry - you'll know as well as anyone involved in development here, that a new hire takes ~6 months to get up to speed with an established product.

It doesn't take that long to get up to date on PHP Spaghetti.

Understanding WHY, however..

• I use something called virtpanel, it's good but just as expensive as SolusVM. It's a cloud-based panel that connects to your servers and managed KVM VPSs (and Docker too apparently.)

• What about Virtualizor ?

it's a great alternative

edited August 2017

@WSS said:

@jackb said:

That's mostly what I meant - most developers (at the point of being hired for a job) should be competent or have transferable skills to be competent in - the language in question in a short time period.

The longer task is generally understanding the product, its users & what they want with it, and in some cases understanding the landfill site your predecessor left you. Plus, company procedures, preferred design patterns and styles.

• WSSWSS Member

@jackb said:

@WSS said:

@jackb said:

That's mostly what I meant - most developers (at the point of being hired for a job) should be competent or have transferable skills to be competent in - the language in question in a short time period.

The longer task is generally understanding the product, its users & what they want with it, and in some cases understanding the landfill site your predecessor left you. Plus, company procedures, preferred design patterns and styles.

It doesn't take 6 months to realize "Holy fuck this is awful."

KeDaddy said: What about Virtualizor ?

it's a great alternative

It is, it has its own issues however at least it is in active development and the staff are responsive to issues unlike onapp's lack of any sort of meaningful development for a whole 3 years and outright lies they have been caught in.

Frankly, at this stage, I don't care if SolusVM v2 is the ultimate solution (Terry has already confirmed it will be nothing but a new GUI with little to no extra features), trusting them now is like inviting a convicted multiple murderers to use your spare room when they get out of jail because they have a new parole officer who said they are good people now.

Continuing to use solusvm any longer than you need too or putting faith in v2 is like waiting for GVH to relaunch and hoping for the best.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

AnthonySmith said: Continuing to use solusvm any longer than you need too or putting faith in v2 is like waiting for GVH to relaunch and hoping for the best.

there is a rumour floating in the cest pit that Nuggets will open shop again....

• jiggawattjiggawatt Member
    edited August 2017

jackb said: Terry - you'll know as well as anyone involved in development here, that a new hire takes ~6 months to get up to speed with an established product.

It doesn't take 6 months for a front-end developer to..

OnApp_Terry said: help us with this final push on the UI.

@mikho said:

AnthonySmith said: Continuing to use solusvm any longer than you need too or putting faith in v2 is like waiting for GVH to relaunch and hoping for the best.

there is a rumour floating in the cest pit that Nuggets will open shop again....

And I have no doubt he will get customers again.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@mikho said:

My money is ready. I dodged the @Vortexnode deadpool, I need to hit my deadpool quota for this year. So far I only have @quadhost.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

AnthonySmith said: (Terry has already confirmed it will be nothing but a new GUI with little to no extra features)

Wait wait wait, so SolusVM2 is literally a lipstick pig or am I misunderstanding?

Is there not a new backend or are they literally bolting the new theme on top of the old base?

Francisco

edited August 2017

@MagicalTrain said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@mikho said:

My money is ready. I dodged the @Vortexnode deadpool, I need to hit my deadpool quota for this year. So far I only have @quadhost.

I know where you can put your money while waiting ;)

• @mikho said:

@MagicalTrain said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@mikho said:

Are you trying to tell me that youre going to deadpool soon?

edited August 2017

@MagicalTrain said:

@mikho said:

Are you trying to tell me that youre going to deadpool soon?

Did I mention my name?? Nope :)
    ... don't buy from me if you only buy from providers who will deadpool.

Perhaps it's only providers that you buy from that deadpools ??? Oh, the horror

• OnApp_TerryOnApp_Terry Member
    edited August 2017

@Francisco said:

AnthonySmith said: (Terry has already confirmed it will be nothing but a new GUI with little to no extra features)

Wait wait wait, so SolusVM2 is literally a lipstick pig or am I misunderstanding?

Is there not a new backend or are they literally bolting the new theme on top of the old base?

Francisco

It's a completely new backend, for a more reliable experience. The primary changes involve full task logging, which will track active/pending/failed tasks. It's not a pretty feature, but will significantly improve the reliability of deployments, and the ease of which providers can diagnose problems. Combined with this, we're able to make the API more powerful, so every feature in the GUI is exposed to the API.

In extremely untechnical terms, in the past when you issued a command to SolusVM, it would basically respond with, "Heard your command. I'll try to do this."

With the new backend, you'll be able to monitor progress, so it's a bit like, "I understand your command... I am working on this... I have finished this/I was not able to complete this, because x."

There's been a few additional improvements around user roles/RBAC, security, and end-user VM management as well.

• WSSWSS Member

Jesus fuck the last time I had this much smoke blown up my ass I had to buy a gram of coke..

• WSSWSS Member
    • I LOVE COLA!
    Thanked by 3racksx lazyt Aidan
    edited August 2017

Francisco said: Wait wait wait, so SolusVM2 is literally a lipstick pig or am I misunderstanding?

If you believe them, I don't, then they have essentially rewritten the backend to do exactly what the current one does but logs better.

Sounds like a legit use of 3 years?

Just shows how backward thinking they are, they will have just put all the same limitations and inflexibility right back in by broader design.

My biggest issue overall though is that they have literally told customers to fuck off for 3 years with genuine issues and outright lied privately and publicly and also shown they are absolutely incapable of fixing even simple things, they can't even get kvm templates to deploy properly, why would anyone put any faith in their ability going forward.