Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MiniPort Australian VPS with unlimited outbound
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

MiniPort Australian VPS with unlimited outbound

trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Hey everyone,

Had this link shared with me today and I thought some of you might be interested.

https://www.miniport.com.au/cart.php?gid=22

Server 1
512Mb RAM
Shared CPU Core
20Gb SSD
50GB Included Inbound Data
Unlimited QLD-IX and NSW-IX
Unlimited Outbound Data

It's $11 AUD/month so about $8.20 USD at current rate. A touch over $7 but for unlimited traffic in Aus it's not too bad.

Comments

• i can seed my linux ISOs in australia now!

• What does 50GB inbound data even mean?

• GravelyGravely Member
    edited May 2017

Wow Unlimited outbound in australia, whats the catch?

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Gravely said:

Low inbound is the catch by the looks of it. Would be good for content distribution.

• GravelyGravely Member

@trewq said:

@Gravely said:

Low inbound is the catch by the looks of it. Would be good for content distribution.

are... missed that bit. What are people using for their seedbox's? quickbox.io?

• vmhausvmhaus Member, Top Host, Host Rep

The 50GB inbound is basically for you to fill up the 20G ssds :)

• corbpiecorbpie Member
    edited May 2017

linux iso seed heaven

• Unlimited QLD-IX and NSW-IX

Sounds like inbound is "unlimited" too, if it's through one of these exchanges.

Thanked by 1trewq
  • josephbjosephb Member

@Gravely said:

Maybe the catch is that you can't reach most of the big AU networks (Telstra/Optus/TPG) via the IX's listed?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Unlimited via specific IX's is probably feasible as long as the ISP maintains a big enough port. But unlimited outbound? I can see that costing them alot or coming with some undisclosed T&C's.

All it takes is one person with a packet generator... 0B ingress.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

josephb said: Maybe the catch is that you can't reach most of the big AU networks (Telstra/Optus/TPG) via the IX's listed?

And yep to reach residential customers with the exception of iiNet AFAIK you will need transit. Might be good if your target is Universities, AARNET peer there.

• BeaufromausBeaufromaus Member
    edited May 2017

G'day Guys,

I am Beau, I am one of the lemmings over @ Miniport.

So we are a "ISP" first and foremost, this means we sell home and business internet over DSL and Fibre. We need to maintain a large amount of backhaul, however, being residential users most traffic we see is inbound meaning that we have large amounts of outbound not in use.

The T&C's are pretty clear that we can kill any service at any time without providing a reason however as long as you what you are doing is "legal" and you pay for the inbound to meet the packet/page requests the chances of being cut for using too much outbound data is incredibly low.

IXNSW and IXQLD are both accessible to about 40% of all residential NBN and ADSL clients in Australia, If you would like to know if you can get data over the IX check Peering DB*** or contact your provider.

Let me know if you have any questions, I am normally very helpful.

https://www.peeringdb.com/ix/576(QLDIX)
    https://www.peeringdb.com/ix/716(NSWIX)

• lionlion Member

@Beaufromaus said:
    I am normally very helpful.

lol

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@Beaufromaus You should run a USD $7 special offer here on LET.

• OliverOliver Member, Host Rep

Pretty interesting offer, and a clever idea. Connectivity over the IX mentioned is quite cheap but how this is accounted sounds a bit tricky.

@Beaufromaus out of interest where did you get that 40% of residential ADSL and NBN being "accessible" over those IX points? Last I saw TPG, Telstra and Optus are over 80% of the NBN market alone so I am a bit skeptical of your number since none of them peer.

Thanked by 2GamerTech24 Falco33
  • @Oliver said:
    Pretty interesting offer, and a clever idea. Connectivity over the IX mentioned is quite cheap but how this is accounted sounds a bit tricky.

@Beaufromaus out of interest where did you get that 40% of residential ADSL and NBN being "accessible" over those IX points? Last I saw TPG, Telstra and Optus are over 80% of the NBN market alone so I am a bit skeptical of your number since none of them peer.

I'm guessing a separate link through SolusVM that's set to not count traffic. Other than that I can't think of anyway using off the shelf software right now

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Oliver said:

I'm guessing a separate link through SolusVM that's set to not count traffic. Other than that I can't think of anyway using off the shelf software right now

Off the shelf flow monitoring software that can do accounting aggregated per IP + next hop or interface index for example.

• @Clouvider said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Oliver said:

Off the shelf flow monitoring software that can do accounting aggregated per IP + next hop or interface index for example.

I was referring to off the shelf VPS management software. With this being a small ISP I'd imagine they havent got this linked up with WHMCS. Anyway good point I just can't see this being used with WHMCS for such a small company

Well if they are an ISP they likely are already in a good position to have something setup to monitor and account for traffic out of different network links.

When I said 'tricky' I didn't mean it in a negative way; it's cool. This term is maybe used in Australian English to mean "impressive because it's sophisticated" in a congratulatory way - and that's what I meant. :-)

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Clouvider said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

@Oliver said:

I was referring to off the shelf VPS management software. With this being a small ISP I'd imagine they havent got this linked up with WHMCS. Anyway good point I just can't see this being used with WHMCS for such a small company

If they are an ISP they likely have something hardware in the core routing layer, most of the hardware kit is capable in doing flow monitoring at 1:1 unless old or poor kit.

It doesn't have to be in WHMCS. They could cron it with daily email if they see IP from range X over Y Mbps avg to particular next hop etc.

• Oh wow, I just came here to say we were working on a $7 special to post up.

Let's try and clear some of this up.

WHMCS runs everything, I literally mean everything, Basically every part of our network is plugged in.

For reference, we are using Vmware and have multiple Dell blade chassis housed in NextDC B1 with our own routers, internet and peering paths.

Although TPG are not on the IX, iiNet are. You will also find vocus(and a handful of things it owns) on the IX and a huge number of smaller providers such as Amaysim and Skymesh are also on the IX. 40% might be mildly generous but I wouldn't say its a stretch of the truth.

• @Beaufromaus said:
    Oh wow, I just came here to say we were working on a $7 special to post up.

Let's try and clear some of this up.

WHMCS runs everything, I literally mean everything, Basically every part of our network is plugged in.

For reference, we are using Vmware and have multiple Dell blade chassis housed in NextDC B1 with our own routers, internet and peering paths.

Although TPG are not on the IX, iiNet are. You will also find vocus(and a handful of things it owns) on the IX and a huge number of smaller providers such as Amaysim and Skymesh are also on the IX. 40% might be mildly generous but I wouldn't say its a stretch of the truth.

The unlimited BW on the IX. Would it be possible to have it switch the IX when I run out of other BW.

edited May 2017

@GenjiSwitchPls said:
    The unlimited BW on the IX. Would it be possible to have it switch the IX when I run out of other BW.

The VM will automagically pull data over the IX links wherever possible.
    If the 50GB limit is hit you will either be able to pay $2/10GB for more data to keep using the inbound/outbound or your service will be limited to the IX links.

Thanked by 1GenjiSwitchPls
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Beaufromaus said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

The VM will automagically pull data over the IX links wherever possible.
    If the 50GB limit is hit you will either be able to pay $2/10GB for more data to keep using the inbound/outbound or your service will be limited to the IX links.

Is the latter the default? Looking forward to the $7 offer!

Beaufromaus said: Although TPG are not on the IX, iiNet are. You will also find vocus(and a handful of things it owns) on the IX and a huge number of smaller providers such as Amaysim and Skymesh are also on the IX. 40% might be mildly generous but I wouldn't say its a stretch of the truth.

Fair enough. I was going more by this figure though:

https://www.crn.com.au/news/telstra-optus-and-tpg-control-83-percent-of-nbn-market-437982

In any case I think for this type of service the fact that content providers like Facebook, Microsoft, Google etc are on peering is probably a better selling point than a bunch of small (relative to the big 4) ISPs. :-)

Good job with the plans; they are unique.

edited May 2017

@Oliver said:

https://www.crn.com.au/news/telstra-optus-and-tpg-control-83-percent-of-nbn-market-437982

In any case I think for this type of service the fact that content providers like Facebook, Microsoft, Google etc are on peering is probably a better selling point than a bunch of small (relative to the big 4) ISPs. :-)

Thank you, We like doing weird and unique stuff.

Just quickly re that link-
    1, It is outdated info and a large chunk of those 83% are iinet clients(who get marked as TPG because TPG owns them) even though they are on the IX. I know its hard because lots of people lie on the internet but trust, I didnt pull the 40% out of a hat ;)

@trewq said:

@Beaufromaus said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

The VM will automatically pull data over the IX links wherever possible.

There is no default, it is a configurable option listed in the store.

I have got the $7 deal planned out, It is going to be a bit of an upgrade on our $11AUD server.
    Just waiting on the bosses OK before posting it up, might take till early next week :(

Beaufromaus said: Just quickly re that link- 1, It is outdated info and a large chunk of those 83% are iinet clients(who get marked as TPG because TPG owns them) even though they are on the IX. I know its hard because lots of people lie on the internet but trust, I didnt pull the 40% out of a hat ;)

Yeah fair call; if we are realistic about the future of IINET/Internode and whatever else TPG takes over it would not surprise me to see any traffic that was on an IX going over transit instead though down the track. After all TPG already has dismantled a lot of Internodes network and there's no economic reason for them to be peering when they could instead sell transit (same with Optus and Telstra basically).

Maybe I am just cynical. ;-)

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Beaufromaus said:

@Oliver said:

Thank you, We like doing weird and unique stuff.

Just quickly re that link-
    1, It is outdated info and a large chunk of those 83% are iinet clients(who get marked as TPG because TPG owns them) even though they are on the IX. I know its hard because lots of people lie on the internet but trust, I didnt pull the 40% out of a hat ;)

@trewq said:

@Beaufromaus said:

@GenjiSwitchPls said:

The VM will automatically pull data over the IX links wherever possible.

There is no default, it is a configurable option listed in the store.

I have got the $7 deal planned out, It is going to be a bit of an upgrade on our $11AUD server.
    Just waiting on the bosses OK before posting it up, might take till early next week :(

You might want to get a provider tag first before posting offers tho.. :)

• kingjjkingjj Member

This would be fantastic for anyone targeting NZ users. All the Big Kiwi ISP's pair at NSW-IX inc. Spark (largest), Vodafone NZ (2nd largest), Orcon (owns several brands), 2Degrees, MyRepublic, Vibe, Vocus.