Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cloudron - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cloudron

Comments

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

That is actually your own install log I am pointed too for troubleshooting :)

The problem is that there are about 10 different things that can cause this, my main point was that a single dpkg failure should not kill the entire install process.

• I am aware that this is most likely from our install log file, but maybe a bit more context would be good. DigitalOcean is the most common installation target for us, this was never reported thus far unless the instance was not a pristine Ubuntu 16.04.

You should be able to just rerun it though, if it fails on the same part, then it is likely a issue to fix.

Thanked by 1PepeSilvia
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2017

Ok. PSA: I just received their email updating the self-hosted pricing to $8/m for more than 2 'apps'.

https://cloudron.io/pricing.html

I'm all tapped out from my dedi cluster bills. :/

Thanked by 2Yura BeardyUnixGuy
  • YuraYura Member
    edited May 2017

@vimalware said:
    Ok. PSA: I just received their email updating the self-hosted pricing to $8/m for more than 2 'apps'.

Fuck them! Sandstorm or diy. Feel bad for people who moved into their app.

Also, @cloudron is a ban evasion for @nebulon account. I mentioned as such on his page a while back.

• @Yura said:

@vimalware said:

Feel bad for people who ....contributed to the source and have this plot twist on their live instances.

To be fair , there seems to be a free waiver for Cloudron contributors on their pricing page.

Perhaps they need to FAQ-link the process to apply/verify contributor status right there , on that fine print.

I'm trying to force and update on my instance to see what UX is enforced, for those with more than 2 apps.

• YuraYura Member

To be fair , there seems to be a free waiver for Cloudron contributors on their pricing page.

Yes, I edited my message to reflect that upon seeing the small print. Was this decision dictated by their license (for code contributions) or they realized that alienating all the people who believed in them and did free work for them thinking it's for common good, I don't know. But I know how to call a dick move which made to appear less dick-ish: a small dick move.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited May 2017

Bloody hell! I've already referred a number of non-technical friends and family to use Cloudron since it's really simplified management of various aspects for them. Now I find out about this bait & switch ?!?

FYI, here are older versions of the pricing page: 17 June 2016 and 9 July 2016.

Thanked by 1Yura
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

For what it's worth I have 5 apps, just installed a 6th, and I'm not paying anything.

• @jarland: "Cloudron is currently in beta. Use it for free until version 1.0"

Thanked by 1jar
  • TionTion Member

And the free tier gets completely removed once they hit 1.0?
    Nice.

• GravelyGravely Member

I mean, if its $8/month for unlimited apps, its really not that bad

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited May 2017

Any information from them regarding what happens if I have 5 apps now and they transition to 1.0?

• YuraYura Member

@caracal said:
    Any information from them regarding what happens if I have 5 apps now and they transition to 1.0?

Not that I'm aware of. You can pay $8/mo or more, never update from the last beta (bad idea), fork the project or switch to Sandstorm, Yuno, manual, etc.

It's a bait and switch, planned from the start, hence special license and not MIT, Apache, GPL-kind. They will refuse your access to programs in excess of 2 if you don't pay. Some optimistic souls hope for only a nagging screen but that's not how you squeeze money from the suckers. They are going to do as bad as they can get away with, legal and brand wise.

Free plan is limited to 2 "apps" only. There is zero practical sense to add this sort of complexity for 2 apps only. It's much more reliable, solid and efficient to setup 2 apps on two different VMs or inside one under virtual hosts, etc. This renders "free" cloudronshit plan as a veneer and facade, which it really is.

So, realistically cloudronshit is a paid product which is built entirely on the free and open source products, developed by unpaid contributors and which you install and maintain on your own servers.
    The worst part is they are unreliable and not trustworthy. GFY, cloudronshit!

Thanked by 1caracal
  • twaintwain Member

@vimalware said:
    I'll have to try cloudron too today. but I like Sandstorm for when I can't be bothered to hot patch all those 'self-hosted' php apps.

Sandstorm's sandbox model is really proper isolation by design.

Sandstorm is very cool and really there wasn't/isn't much that can compare with what it does and the security/sandboxing aspects. Their enterprise business has unfortunately failed however, and most of the team are now working for Cloudflare:

https://sandstorm.io/news/2017-02-06-sandstorm-returning-to-community-roots

Good for the open-source user however, as they have opened up their enterprise features (LDAP auth, etc); hopefully development on Sandstorm won't stall though now that it will mostly be community driven, but I'd expect that Kenton (quite a brilliant guy btw) will still be working on his labor of love as much as he can, and will be hesitant to let it stagnate.

Thanked by 2Yura vimalware
  • MikaeelZAMikaeelZA Member, Host Rep

Just like ServerPilot, no?

• YuraYura Member

@MikaeelZA said:
    Just like ServerPilot, no?

No. "Serverpilot - the best way to run PHP and Wordpress sites on DO" in their own words. Serverpilot is a webserver control panel alternative to Cpanel, Webmin, Plesk. It's close source, freemium and limited to specific stack - PHP, other languages are officially unsupported.

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited May 2017

@twain said:

@vimalware said:
    I'll have to try cloudron too today. but I like Sandstorm for when I can't be bothered to hot patch all those 'self-hosted' php apps.

Sandstorm's sandbox model is really proper isolation by design.

Sandstorm is very cool and really there wasn't/isn't much that can compare with what it does and the security/sandboxing aspects. Their enterprise business has unfortunately failed however, and most of the team are now working for Cloudflare:

https://sandstorm.io/news/2017-02-06-sandstorm-returning-to-community-roots

Good for the open-source user however, as they have opened up their enterprise features (LDAP auth, etc); hopefully development on Sandstorm won't stall though now that it will mostly be community driven, but I'd expect that Kenton (quite a brilliant guy btw) will still be working on his labor of love as much as he can, and will be hesitant to let it stagnate.

Looking to replace Cloudron.. Took on Sandstorm.io as a recommendation.
    I just installed it and am finding it hard to adapt to its paradigm, especially since I had hoped to find something that can replace my cloudron instance of easily deployed webapp instances.

Shall stick with it and see how it goes. Unfortunately does seem like many of the apps are unmaintained/old versions, like Wordpress and Ghost.

• sarahsarah Member

@Yura said:

@caracal said:

Not that I'm aware of. You can pay $8/mo or more, never update from the last beta (bad idea), fork the project or switch to Sandstorm, Yuno, manual, etc.

So sandstorm, yuno, manual etc give you free updates? Last I checked, sandstorm apps are hardly updated. Yunohost does not provide and support or service. In fact, installing openvpn app broke my entire yunohost installation (https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/openvpn_ynh/issues/31) and nobody cares.

So, realistically cloudronshit is a paid product which is built entirely on the free and open source products, developed by unpaid contributors and which you install and maintain on your own servers.
    The worst part is they are unreliable and not trustworthy. GFY, cloudronshit!

Well, like some others said, I would pay for something that works. Maybe you can make a truly free system that works if it's so easy? I will be your first customer and bitch on you when you stop working for free.

• YuraYura Member

@sarah said:
    So sandstorm, yuno, manual etc give you free updates? Last I checked, sandstorm apps are hardly updated. Yunohost does not provide and support or service.

Yes, they give you free updates. They are community products and support is provided via communities on forums, gitter, github, reddit, etc.

And manual means doing installations and updates by yourself. Obviously. I thought it's obvious, but it wasn't for you. I do things by hand, because I learn better that way, but Sandstorm is a viable and security oriented option as well.

In fact, installing openvpn app broke my entire yunohost installation (https://github.com/YunoHost-Apps/openvpn_ynh/issues/31) and nobody cares.

OMG, did you call the police? The app you wanted to install doesn't work correctly on your system due to bug in sandstorm, bug in openvpn, curvature of your hands or any combination of those. It happens.

Well, like some others said, I would pay for something that works.

Ok? Do I hold your wallet as a hostage or something? Go ahead and spend money however you like, no need to inform me personally.

Maybe you can make a truly free system that works if it's so easy? I will be your first customer and bitch on you when you stop working for free.

Did I say it's easy? No. You put up a strawman argument to defeat it and think no one is wiser.

You already are doing exactly that. In 3 years on Github your contributions are about 10 or so issues where you complain that something doesn't work. You don't pay them, you don't contribute pull requests, right? Using your own words, you bitch on sandstorm developers and bragging here about this.

Anyways, nice try with today's registration and trying to mud the waters. Cloudronshit have 2 accounts banned here already but you guys have nerves to reg and do sneaky attacks on Sandstorm who just open-sourced their enterprise features? Okay. Good luck with sales, cloudronshit guys. Spamming on forums is your strongest asset so far.

edited May 2017

Damn @Yura, you're acting like cloudron took a shit on your pillow in the middle of the night. Maybe take licensing costs a little less personally? It's not like they're waiting outside to murder you.

Thanked by 1Gravely
  • YuraYura Member
    edited May 2017

@jarland said:
    Damn @Yura, you're acting like cloudron took a shit on your pillow in the middle of the night. Maybe take licensing costs a little less personally? It's not like they're waiting outside to murder you.

Firstly, thanks for reinforcing combination of cloudron + shit, I hope it will take off :)

Secondly, I couldnt care less for licensing costs because I pay for licenses, VPS, mail services and software even when it just idles forever for the heck of it. And I don't/didn't rely on cloudron myself, as I mentioned above (Proxmox for me). What I'm not ok with is when a company abuses good will (which I believe they do) and I have over 2 dozens of not very technical people who listened to my recommendation of Cloudronshit and now stuck in this limbo. Yes, they can decide for themselves and pay or move on, but I feel shitty for setting them up for this.

I take a friendly hint from you and stop with taking my displeasure in this thread, partly because I said everything I had to say and partly because they are as good as dead for me. Everyone else - enjoy your stay!

P.S. I wonder if DO will continue to sponsor them. I wished Sandstorm or other not shitty project of this specialty would be seen as more worthy of DO support. <3

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2017

It's the bait and switch that annoys me TBH.
    IIRC, there was no mention of grandfathered pricing for older installs.

I'm just glad I didn't recommend it to anyone yet.

That being said, I'll look at some Sandstorm community ports that I could contribute to/maintain. (without touching PHP)

Pay forward the goodwill shown by Kenton and team by open-sourcing Sandstorm y'all.

It won't be complete waste of one's time , since you'll learn some internals of Cap'n proto,

which you can later use in real world projects(multiple language support),
    that require a robust serialization framework.

trivia: Kenton also wrote the predecessor project 'ProtocolBuffers' (primary author)

Thanked by 1Yura
  • Hi there,

just wanted to clarify a few things from our side, we probably did some miscommunication regarding introduction of pricing. We certainly didn't want to give a feeling of some bait and switch and I still believe this is not what we intended to do in any way, quite sad for me to read this.

To give some background as it seems people have a different view, we are a small shop of two people working on Cloudron and have invested over 2 years by now of our time building the platform, packaging apps and keep everything updated. There is no substantial contributor community.

You can imagine that all this is quite some work and we are happy to invest this, however to ensure ongoing time investment it simply can't be all free forever without any returns for us. Not sure why I have to apologize for giving so much for free, open source is not just for getting things cheap in my personal view. We have tried a couple of monetization routes, and came to the conclusion that the service to keep everything up-to-date is where our users see continued value. Now I can see how this might look like a dead end for someone not seeing enough value, but this is where the open source angle comes into play. As said maybe we didn't communicate this well, but the code is under AGPL (btw a very common license in that field), the code is all out there at https://git.cloudron.io and by virtue of that you are welcome to track upstream releases from git tags on your own and we even have built tooling to help keep everything up-to-date manually. This is no different from other open source/core projects. So if you are willing to invest your own time to update and don't require support, then don't use our service.

If you are willing to contribute back, of course you get the whole service for free. We are investing to build a larger contributor community in the future, which will allow us to adjust the pricing accordingly to reflect reduced workload on our end, but we also have to be realistic about the current situation.

Yura said: P.S. I wonder if DO will continue to sponsor them. I wished Sandstorm or other not shitty project of this specialty would be seen as more worthy of DO support. <3

We are in no way sponsored by Digital Ocean. Not sure what made you think that.

vimalware said: IIRC, there was no mention of grandfathered pricing for older installs.

Indeed, we simply forgot to mention that in the newsletter. There will be a discounted option for our early adopters (as of writing this, we are still pre 1.0) or as explained, just go the manual update route.

• caracalcaracal Member
    edited June 2017

@cloudron said:
    Hi..

Thanks for that explanation and the hard work. I'm glad to hear that there's a scheme for grandfathered users. Could you shed a little more details on this?

For someone who pays less than $8 a month for all my VPS's, moving to the paid version would more than double my monthly costs in hosting. I'd love to see perhaps a more generous limit of 4-5 app installation for free tier-grandfathered users.

• @cloudron said:

vimalware said: IIRC, there was no mention of grandfathered pricing for older installs.

Indeed, we simply forgot to mention that in the newsletter. There will be a discounted option for our early adopters (as of writing this, we are still pre 1.0) or as explained, just go the manual update route.

Oh well. I wiped that server and loaded proxmox for my own homebrew LXC 'jails' with NAT.

Better for me in the long run to get familiar with LXC quirks.

• cloudron said: Not sure why I have to apologize for giving so much for free, open source is not just for getting things cheap in my personal view

Once you start calling your software open source, it sets a certain expectation. Cloudron, if I remember correctly, not only requires registration with a server under your control, but also requires a paid subscription for certain features. You can point at your "open" code all you want, this is not how I define "open source" or "free software".

Stop acting like your users owe you anything. Not everyone is a cheapskate, I have significant contributions to at least one of the projects in your store, do you see me asking for money? No, because that's what you sign up for when you release something as open source.

Don't get me wrong, of course you have bills to pay and would like to get something back for all the time invested, that's cool. But instead of nagging Average Joe to pay a few bucks, why not instead sell to companies? I think there are a lot of small businesses out there that see value in a easy way to install and update internal applications.

• Cloudron works fine without an account to access our app library. As mentioned earlier, you can use it by building app packages manually and install them on your server (this is also the normal route for custom apps). What you sign up for is the service to get easy install and supported automatic updates. This also means we are not selling the apps we package, we sell the service to keep them updated, also involving for example things like ensuring that data migration works, which you otherwise have to do manually.

jgillich said: But instead of nagging Average Joe to pay a few bucks, why not instead sell to companies?

I don't see anything wrong with selling a service also to individuals. In the end it comes down to how much someone values his/her own time spent.

• cloudron said: Cloudron works fine without an account to access our app library. As mentioned earlier, you can use it by building app packages manually and install them on your server

I don't know why I even have to tell you this, but the app libary is the primary reason why I'd want to install Cloudron in the first place. If you take that away, I don't see the point.

cloudron said: I don't see anything wrong with selling a service also to individuals.

I just told you, did you skip that part? By calling your project open source, you're setting the wrong expectations, which means people will get disappointed once they find out they're forced to pay (which, lets be real here, they are).

cloudron said: In the end it comes down to how much someone values his/her own time spent.

Which is why selling to companies is a lot easier. Lets say a sysadmin has to spend 5 hours less per month updating and maintaining applications, you charge them $50 and save the company $200. Win win.

On top of that, you've got tons of people using and promoting your software for free. This is pretty much the model of nginx and GitLab.

• iKeyZiKeyZ Veteran

@jgillich said:

cloudron said: In the end it comes down to how much someone values his/her own time spent.

Which is why selling to companies is a lot easier. Lets say a sysadmin has to spend 5 hours less per month updating and maintaining applications, you charge them $50 and save the company $200. Win win.

On top of that, you've got tons of people using and promoting your software for free. This is pretty much the model of nginx and GitLab.

Uhhh this is not true

jgillich said: I don't know why I even have to tell you this, but the app libary is the primary reason why I'd want to install Cloudron in the first place. If you take that away, I don't see the point.

I disagree. If you take it's framework without the apps, you end up with an excellent web interface for managing docker containers. That hardly seems like a low value item to me.