Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Speedykvm 30% 1-time/customer coupon (all products) - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Speedykvm 30% 1-time/customer coupon (all products)

Comments

• Amazing promotion, hard to resist. Considering the service quality of SpeedyKVM, I think it is an unbelievable price.

However, the policy for CPU and DISK load in TOS / AUP seems to be unclear. I think it would be nice to have more information on this. :-)

PS : Now that the second node has been built, does it have over 100 users on a mass storage server? If so, it should only be used as a backup.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@DaipuX said:
    Amazing promotion, hard to resist. Considering the service quality of SpeedyKVM, I think it is an unbelievable price.

However, the policy for CPU and DISK load in TOS / AUP seems to be unclear. I think it would be nice to have more information on this. :-)

PS : Now that the second node has been built, does it have over 100 users on a mass storage server? If so, it should only be used as a backup.

Pretty simple policy, be friendly to your neighbors. If your VPS is abusing and causing others issues, you will be ticketed and warned.

Number of VM on these two storage nodes will never exceed 40 each. So that should resolve your concerns there.

• @SpeedyKVM_Ryan said:

@DaipuX said:
    Amazing promotion, hard to resist. Considering the service quality of SpeedyKVM, I think it is an unbelievable price.

Pretty simple policy, be friendly to your neighbors. If your VPS is abusing and causing others issues, you will be ticketed and warned.

Number of VM on these two storage nodes will never exceed 40 each. So that should resolve your concerns there.

40 users? Really awesome! I can't resist...

• DaipuX said: 40 users? Really awesome!

This is what they want you to believe, but providers never tell the truth about this :P

• gisadikgisadik Banned, Member

@FredQc said:

DaipuX said: 40 users? Really awesome!

This is what they want you to believe, but providers never tell the truth about this :P

The first node only has 28x users, as most people chose the 2TB plan. The second will probably be the same. We have no incentive nor desire to lie to customers, none of us work on commission, we just enjoy working with servers and networks. :-)

• @SpeedyKVM_Ryan said:
    If your VPS is abusing and causing others issues, you will be ticketed and warned.

Exactly what I came here to ask. Ticket is the right way to give backpressure to customer to 'nice' or 'ionice' some processes.

That generous RAM quota tempts everyone to run multiple applications, or containers.

Thanked by 2SpeedyKVM deadbeef
  • Ryan has been great with Catalyst.
    While I'm not being really needing a vm I might try it as I know Ryan gets what I do :)

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2017

@gisadik said:

@FredQc said:

DaipuX said: 40 users? Really awesome!

The first node only has 28x users, as most people chose the 2TB plan.

Half of us are idler collectors, another big chunk won't finish what they planned to do with it and the few that will actually use it in some non-trivial capacity will have a monster machine to play with. Love it! :)

• @SpeedyKVM_Ryan Can I still use a 30% discount?

• deadbeef said: Half of us are idler collectors, another big chunk won't finish what they planned to do with it and the few that will actually use it in some non-trivial capacity will have a monster machine to play with. Love it! :)

Excuse me, I am actually using around 50MB out of the 500GB plan I have with TimeVPS. I'm planning to do the same with SpeedyKVM

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • deadbeefdeadbeef Member
    edited March 2017

@jcaleb said:
    Excuse me, I am actually using around 50MB out of the 500GB plan I have with TimeVPS. I'm planning to do the same with SpeedyKVM

Avant-garde!

• HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@jcaleb said:

deadbeef said: Half of us are idler collectors, another big chunk won't finish what they planned to do with it and the few that will actually use it in some non-trivial capacity will have a monster machine to play with. Love it! :)

I'll be mirroring my empty ZXHost 1TB special with my SpeedyKVM special. So it'll clearly get some use from hourly rsyncs where nothing gets transferred but a copy of the rsync logs.

@sphielv1 said:
    @SpeedyKVM_Ryan Can I still use a 30% discount?

Yep

• gisadikgisadik Banned, Member

@jcaleb said:

deadbeef said: Half of us are idler collectors, another big chunk won't finish what they planned to do with it and the few that will actually use it in some non-trivial capacity will have a monster machine to play with. Love it! :)

T4VPS is openvz so they benefit when you don't use all your space and can sell the rest to another customer. SpeedyKVM uses KVM with VPS disks provisioned with LVMs so the space is dedicated per client, so don't feel bad about using all your disk with us. It is all preallocated to you whether you use it or not :-)

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • gisadik said: The first node only has 28x users, as most people chose the 2TB plan. The second will probably be the same. We have no incentive nor desire to lie to customers, none of us work on commission, we just enjoy working with servers and networks. :-)

Thank you for your honest answer ;-) I'll trust you on this.

Thanked by 1gisadik
  • @SpeedyKVM_Ryan Can I run nested virt with V-DEDICATED?

@robohost said:
    @SpeedyKVM_Ryan Can I run nested virt with V-DEDICATED?

Yep

Thanked by 3Falzo vimalware bersy
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@robohost said:
    @SpeedyKVM_Ryan Can I run nested virt with V-DEDICATED?

They'll also enable CPU passthrough if you ask nicely :)

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2017

@trewq said:

They'll also enable CPU passthrough if you ask nicely :)

They enabled mine in like 45 secs. I was slightly terrified when my VM rebooted. :D

You can do LXC/LXD inside the KVM @robohost

• @SpeedyKVM_Ryan @gisadik Just a small feature request: would you consider adding a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS template? I understand that I can do a 14.04->16.04 upgrade or do a clean install by mounting the provided 16.04 image in Solus, but the latest Ubuntu LTS release is reasonably popular and it would be awesome if a 16.04 template could be provided for convenience's sake, so that I and other users can get stuff up and running faster. Thanks for considering!

• @victory7 said:
    do a clean install by mounting the provided 16.04 image in Solus, but the latest Ubuntu LTS release is reasonably popular.

I mulled over ticketing for this too, then I realized, why get BIG-storage-KVM if I'm not doing FDE LUKS setup from ISO installation.
    There's practically no cpu overhead for writing data once host-passthrough is enabled. Go for it.

Thanked by 2deadbeef victory7
  • vimalware said: There's practically no cpu overhead for writing data once host-passthrough is enabled. Go for it.

I'll try filing a ticket to get host passthrough enabled. Thanks for the tip!

While we're on the topic of feature requests, @SpeedyKVM_Ryan @gisadik please consider adding support for two-factor authentication for the client area (unless I simply overlooked 2FA and it's already there?)

• @vimalware said: why get BIG-storage-KVM if I'm not doing FDE LUKS setup from ISO installation

Do you then use a keyfile to boot automatically or do you just let the KVM "wait" till you interactively connect and type in the key to boot (or, even better, have you figured out a secure way to get it to boot)?

This issue (of not being to autoboot with FDE/LUKS in a "secure" manner) is one of the reasons I don't use FDE as much as I'd like to (I'd rather have the KVM boot without one of my encrypted volumes rather than just sit there waiting for the key/password).

Thanks.

• @nullnothere said:

@vimalware said: why get BIG-storage-KVM if I'm not doing FDE LUKS setup from ISO installation

Do you then use a keyfile to boot automatically or do you just let the KVM "wait" till you interactively connect and type in the key to boot (or, even better, have you figured out a secure way to get it to boot)?

I don't reboot storage VMs more frequently than 5 months.

In the case of a storage KVM vps , LUKS is just for preventing information leakage to the next tenant , who get provisioned the same disk sectors, that you were using.

Anyone with hypervisor access can dump your keys from RAM anyway.

If you want more secure remote unlock with SSH, go with a dedi+LUKS+dropbear-initramfs.

Thanked by 2deadbeef nullnothere
  • @vimalware said:
    preventing information leakage to the next tenant , who get provisioned the same disk sectors, that you were using.

I've never heard of this attack - details please?

• @deadbeef said:

@vimalware said:
    preventing information leakage to the next tenant , who get provisioned the same disk sectors, that you were using.

I've never heard of this attack - details please?

good old DD can read bits.

Enabling luks just solves the 'media disposal problem' http://vpsboard.com/topic/4303-full-disk-encryption-on-a-kvm-vps/#comment-62643

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • @vimalware said: LUKS is just for preventing information leakage

Understood. I typically have a separate (LUKS) mount for sensitive stuff (which is relatively speaking a small fraction of the entire disk only) and tend to shred/wipe before giving up the VM anyways.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • OVH told me they wipe all sectors on the disk before they turn it over to a new person. I hope everyone does that including for all KVM plans.

• @willie said: OVH told me they wipe all sectors on the disk before they turn it over to a new person. I hope everyone does that including for all KVM plans.

Online.net also zeroes all sectors on the disk (I have verified this by random sampling on both OVH and Online.net servers - and it "appears" to be correctly zeroed. Of course because this is random sampling I have no way to verify that it is always the case for every sector on disk).

I am unaware of any other provider doing the same for any type of plan.

I think as a general rule of thumb, it is wise to use LUKS (as pointed out by @vimalware) if only for at rest data protection from provider incompetance (there is NO protection from an "evil" provider).

Of course (doubting Thomas here...), if a provider dumps mounted disk or snapshots RAM to disk for a KVM and that dumped disk/snapshot is not wiped, does the said dump feel exposed or not...

• any coupon code still valid? for any kvm?