Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cogent became an internet police.. Is now blocking TPB and other torrent sites - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cogent became an internet police.. Is now blocking TPB and other torrent sites

2»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@busbr said:
    Isn't that an CloudFlare IP on the screenshot?

It is indeed Sir!

• @William said:
    my convictions for it...

You actually got convicted for it? Thought you were only arrested for it...

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited February 2017

teamacc said: You actually got convicted for it? Thought you were only arrested for it...

I was never arrested (in this case, there's some more fun after that unrelated) - search != arrest, i was able to leave my then flat immediately after, without passports/ID (and without mobile phone).

Anyway, yea that left me with a few convictions and probation until the early 2020s.

• William said: Cogent is a Bermuda company under commonwealth law, and one of few Tier1 not incorporated inside the US.

It's incorporated in many countries including the USA.

Anyway, Cogent should not be called an Internet backbone or a Tier1. It's involved in so many commercial crap and violation of Internet neutrality for more than a decade.

They've been blackmailing other large networks, sometimes preventing all their customers from accessing other networks. They also refuse to peer, or use other networks for transit. Therefore they have 0 redundancy.

They also don't like IPv6 because Hurricane Electric does it better, this result in Cogent being unable to provide access to the IPv6 Internet because they don't want to announce prefixes announced by Hurricane Electric.

Now they've just demonstrated that they do not longer provide access to the IPv4 Internet.

It's also very unlikely that Cogent has null routed those addresses for piracy reasons since Cogent likes very much sites like that. They used to provide bandwidth for megaupload.com and I think they still do for mega.com.

Few years ago, cogent used to harass us over phone, email and all communication means for provide us bandwidth because they had just lost megaupload.com and they had discovered that a similar site that someone hosted on our network was becoming quite popular.

The harassment lasted for almost a month. They were so much in need that they wanted to provide us free bandwidth for 6 months.

This operator does not like the Internet, and does not provide Internet services. It's a plague but unfortunately many networks are forced to rely on it because nothing else is available nearby.

• J1021J1021 Member
    edited February 2017

UrDN said: They also refuse to peer, or use other networks for transit. Therefore they have 0 redundancy.

Eh?

If they refused to peer you'd only be able to reach directly connected peers, which isn't the case.

It's not ideal that Cogent are the way they are, but it's not a huge pain also. No downstream network should be reliant on a single tier 1 and if they are, more fool them :P

• Looks like cogent nullrouted the ip address for TPB

Thanked by 1J1021