Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Enterprise quality cpanel hosting? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Enterprise quality cpanel hosting?

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited December 2016

cmsjr123 said:

High availability in a hosting world is where the site stays up despite failures at multiple points.

While a provider can use reliable hardware designed for being online 24/7 it is not the same as having a high availinilty website where an attack on the dns, provider, isp etc are not enough to take it down. As there is redundant locations, server, DNs isp. He is after a failover like system that fails over to a backup of whatever fails.

BuyVM (the VPS side of the business, not the shared hosting operation) once offered to set something like that up for me using 3 large managed VPS (LV, NJ, and Luxembourg) with a single anycast IP and failover and so on. Price was pretty good considering the amount of resources and staff attention involved, but way outside of LET territory and outside the budget of the person who had asked me to look into it. I think she's with Dreamhost now and it's much wimpier, though it more or less works most of the time.

Anyway, if you do want a srs bzns HA setup and have the bucks for it, I'd say talk to Fran or Ald. I'm surprised there don't seem to be turnkey offerings of that sort but I looked around and didn't see any.

If you just want a single location server with redundant hardware, try the OVH Cloud VPS or Public Cloud offerings. They use Ceph storage so the disk data is triple replicated and they can fail over from one server to another very quickly.

• @willie said:

cmsjr123 said:

High availability in a hosting world is where the site stays up despite failures at multiple points.

While a provider can use reliable hardware designed for being online 24/7 it is not the same as having a high availinilty website where an attack on the dns, provider, isp etc are not enough to take it down. As there is redundant locations, server, DNs isp. He is after a failover like system that fails over to a backup of whatever fails.

BuyVM (the VPS side of the business, not the shared hosting operation) once offered to set something like that up for me using 3 large managed VPS (LV, NJ, and Luxembourg) with a single anycast IP and failover and so on. Price was pretty good considering the amount of resources and staff attention involved, but way outside of LET territory and outside the budget of the person who had asked me to look into it. I think she's with Dreamhost now and it's much wimpier, though it more or less works most of the time.

Anyway, if you do want a srs bzns HA setup and have the bucks for it, I'd say talk to Fran or Ald. I'm surprised there don't seem to be turnkey offerings of that sort but I looked around and didn't see any.

If you just want a single location server with redundant hardware, try the OVH Cloud VPS or Public Cloud offerings. They use Ceph storage so the disk data is triple replicated and they can fail over from one server to another very quickly.

Was it using cpanel? Keeping all configurations synced live? All content synced live?

• @doughnet Would you consider using a real enterprise-class provider (AWS, Azure, Softlayer) and acquiring your own CPanel license?

• @dcamero said:
    @doughnet Would you consider using a real enterprise-class provider (AWS, Azure, Softlayer) and acquiring your own CPanel license?

That would be a self managed cpanel solution ... not exactly what I was trying to research. If there are shared cpanel providers; I don't see why there aren't more high availability options. I understand it would be more expensive (multiple servers for high availibity) but paying 3x more knowing high availability is well worth it.

• @doughnet it actually would be a good business.

• @OhMyMy said:
    @doughnet it actually would be a good business.

I think any small business would be happy to pay 3x knowing their sites will be up, stable, etc

• And I would sleep well at night as a vendor if I knew that if 1/2 my architecture blew up, I can deal with it in the morning - cause the system still works :)

• @OhMyMy said:
    And I would sleep well at night as a vendor if I knew that if 1/2 my architecture blew up, I can deal with it in the morning - cause the system still works :)

Very good point!

• More money, less aggravation, better customers.... Incoming offer in.... LOL wish I had the skill set

• I think the most difficult part in the HA set up using LE*-style VPS is to keep the contents and DB in sync. BuyVM for example, provide low cost floating IP that you can dynamically assign them to VPS in any of their 3 locations, so that is already providing (sort of) the hardware you need for such a set up, for really cheap.

But then you have 3 of their 128MB RAM boxes and unless you use a CMS that's not DB dependent (so no Wordpress, etc), master-to-master MySQL sync would eat up most of the 128MB. On top of that you have to save RAM for rsync to sync contents and other things like keepalived and heartbeat to run.

I have never tried ceph or any sort of storage-level replication, but I am not sure if it would work with 128MB either.

The only way I have seen so far to achieve HA using LE*-style VPS is to use jekyll + github. So basically use Jekyll whenever the static contents in the sites are updated (assuming you don't update your site like once every 20 seconds) to generate the static version of your website, check into Github and then on each of the front-end VPS check out the revision.

With this approach though, things like comments have to be outsourced to things like Disqus, and I don't even know how well the constant automatic Wordpress -> Jekyll conversion would go before something blows up.

• I am not familiar with cpanel at all. Are all the files and configuration within a centralized location (ie. /usr/local/lib/cpanel/)? If so; is it possible to store all the content in an S3 container (ie. Amazon S3); and if so have all 3 servers attach to that container to have the exact same contents (no live syncing required if this works). Then use a single anycast IP and failover to the systems when one is down. The MySQL/MariaDB might be best to run the master on Backup Server #2 and slave on Backup Server #3; then the Main Server #1 would have less overhead (maybe a bad idea; not sure).

Just brainstorming.

• If with amazon - make life simple use RDS for the database and check the high availability box - it will automatically make replicas that it can failover to and it would be in different region etc. Google cloud does the same thing. Amazon uses block storage for the drives, so its possible to have a failover of the server that grabs the drive and keeps on going. SO, AWS may be a good approach but it does require more hands on - and I know you want the simple things of sign up somewhere and upload files and be done with it (I want that too!).

• @spammy said:
    I think the most difficult part in the HA set up using LE*-style VPS is to keep the contents and DB in sync. BuyVM for example, provide low cost floating IP that you can dynamically assign them to VPS in any of their 3 locations, so that is already providing (sort of) the hardware you need for such a set up, for really cheap.

But then you have 3 of their 128MB RAM boxes and unless you use a CMS that's not DB dependent (so no Wordpress, etc), master-to-master MySQL sync would eat up most of the 128MB. On top of that you have to save RAM for rsync to sync contents and other things like keepalived and heartbeat to run.

I have never tried ceph or any sort of storage-level replication, but I am not sure if it would work with 128MB either.

The only way I have seen so far to achieve HA using LE*-style VPS is to use jekyll + github. So basically use Jekyll whenever the static contents in the sites are updated (assuming you don't update your site like once every 20 seconds) to generate the static version of your website, check into Github and then on each of the front-end VPS check out the revision.

With this approach though, things like comments have to be outsourced to things like Disqus, and I don't even know how well the constant automatic Wordpress -> Jekyll conversion would go before something blows up.

That wouldn't be using a cpanel as the backend; your solution would be more for a single webserver/site running on one system or setting up virtual hosts but then you have to keep the virtual hosts configuration synced between all the system. I easily was able to setup a HA webserver using haproxy + caddyserver + glusterfs ... but I'm not looking to manage it and also it wouldn't scale as easily and Cpanel could.

A good/easy introduction/example to ansible can be found here which sets up a HA of apache: https://github.com/geerlingguy/ansible-for-devops/tree/master/deployments-balancer

Thanked by 1spammy
  • doughnet said: Was it using cpanel? Keeping all configurations synced live? All content synced live?

Cpanel: I don't think that was discussed but obviously they could do that if you paid the licenses. Other stuff: yes, though if you could stand degraded performance in case of a location out, that could simplify things and reduce costs.

doughnet said: I think any small business would be happy to pay 3x knowing their sites will be up, stable, etc

This was a really serious setup, way more than 3x a basic shared plan. But way less than hiring your own internal ops team to look after the thing full time.

spammy said:

But then you have 3 of their 128MB RAM boxes

Yes you'd need bigger ones.

• @doughnet said:
    Hi all. Hope everyone is well. Wanted to find some recommendations on cpanel shared and reseller providers that are reputable and stable enough to be used for sites that need to have a very stable uptime. Appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you!

We offer SSD hosted Web Hosting with our CloudLinux and LiteSpeed server. It comes with various featured plugins. So far it has had 100% uptime.
    http://hostslayer.com/webhosting.html
    Also it includes 50Gbps DDoS Protection

• @VENETX said:

@doughnet said:
    Hi all. Hope everyone is well. Wanted to find some recommendations on cpanel shared and reseller providers that are reputable and stable enough to be used for sites that need to have a very stable uptime. Appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you!

We offer SSD hosted Web Hosting with our CloudLinux and LiteSpeed server. It comes with various featured plugins. So far it has had 100% uptime.
    http://hostslayer.com/webhosting.html
    Also it includes 50Gbps DDoS Protection

Read the previous posts. Your services don't meet standards.

• Someone offer a managed solution to this person already please.

Uptime is not the same as high availability.

This person needs a managed solution not just a vps, or three with one provider or more. It needs a professional setup for high availability. A vps or a dedicated server is not enough for high availibity it needs to be professionally setup.

Multiple isp, redundant servers at different locations one name servers/dns failures won't take it down.

If you can't manage to set something like this up for the customer idk why you are offering then. The person clearly has little knowledge of the hosting world besides a desire to have high availability and willingness to spend money to have it down for them :)

So let's get more of those in here.

• Pretty much I guess what I was researching is if any providers are able to do a cpanel shared hosting/reseller account that is PaaS with high availability.

Guess it isn't possible yet; but I don't understand why not.

@cmsjr123: but I previously stated not interested in customized managed service(s). Trying to find out which (if any) could provide high availability for a cpanel shared/reseller account.

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited December 2016

This is what @doughnet wants I think. http://www.netlocations.com/cpanel.html In general I don't think we see more of this because cpanel only clusters dns and configuration out of the box. So for companies like hydraburx (@venetx) who are incapable of reading (and who have office in San Diego with agreement governed in Florida, licensed in Nevada and servers in NJ) its too hard to do all of this out of mommy's spare bedroom. See this good article on what cpanel does out of the box related to your specific needs: https://bobcares.com/blog/cpanel-multi-server-cpanel-cluster/

• Just a side note, cPanel doesn't support HA at all and they even recommend against using cPanel in an HA setup.

The above holds true when doing the HA from the OS layer and up, doing it from the virtualization layer so cPanel basically has no idea it's in HA is perfectly good.

That said, see here - https://www.jetapps.com/jetclone

• @OhMyMy said:
    This is what @doughnet wants I think. http://www.netlocations.com/cpanel.html In general I don't think we see more of this because cpanel only clusters dns and configuration out of the box. So for companies like hydraburx (@venetx) who are incapable of reading (and who have office in San Diego with agreement governed in Florida, licensed in Nevada and servers in NJ) its too hard to do all of this out of mommy's spare bedroom. See this good article on what cpanel does out of the box related to your specific needs: https://bobcares.com/blog/cpanel-multi-server-cpanel-cluster/

Thank you. I'll read those pages tonight!

• vaporware, future ware, dreamware expected in over 2 months @ihaveadarkpassenger lets see if it ships on time bug free

• @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Just a side note, cPanel doesn't support HA at all and they even recommend against using cPanel in an HA setup.

The above holds true when doing the HA from the OS layer and up, doing it from the virtualization layer so cPanel basically has no idea it's in HA is perfectly good.

That said, see here - https://www.jetapps.com/jetclone

That looks awesome!

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@doughnet said:

Try SSD Hosting - UK Server - Uptime is about 99.99% and we also take daily and monthly backup.

Why would you take a monthly backup if you are already taking them daily? hmm...

• OhMyMyOhMyMy Member
    edited December 2016

@startvm-chase daily could be incremental to reduce bandwidth and processing time. Monthly could be full backup hmmm... think that's a good idea hmmmmm?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

doughnet said: Guess it isn't possible yet; but I don't understand why not.

Did you check WiredTree or KnownHost as I suggested?

• raindog308 said: You may want to look at someone like WiredTree or KnownHost or someone of that caliber.

Like always Thanks for your recommendation! If anyone has any questions about KnownHost contact us by emailing [email protected] or send me a message.

• @raindog308:

KnownHost doesn't have a high availability cpanel hosting (what I've been inquiring on).

Neither does WiredTree; so they are out of my discussions.

• Doughnet, what kind of site is this for? How much budget have you allocated? We may all have completely different pictures in mind.

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited December 2016

hmmmm, any dc's out there w/o generators?

@OhMyMy said:
    @sharp_servers you do not understand. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-availability_cluster YOU DO NOT HAVE HIGH AVAILABILITY BECAUSE THEY HAVE A GENERATOR