Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arduino cloud server on a Low end box
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Arduino cloud server on a Low end box

Not sure if anyone here are into creating Arduino hardware projects, but if you are, you may want to check out the following DZONE article:

How to set up your own Arduino IoT Cloud Server:
https://dzone.com/articles/setting-up-your-own-arduino-iot-cloud-server

Comments

• What is your definition of "Cloud"?

• From my perspective, "Cloud" is a pure marketing term.

• @Stilman said:
    From my perspective, "Cloud" is a pure marketing term.

One single RPI isn't a "cloud"

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited October 2016

@doghouch said:

Based on what universally accepted definition of "cloud"?

Cloud means whatever people want to it mean. If you absolutely have to generalize, you could argue it's anything hosted off your network. "Cloud" isn't a technical specification, it's a marketing term.

Thanked by 2netomx Pwner
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited October 2016

@Microlinux said:

@doghouch said:

Cloud means whatever people want to it mean. If you absolutely have to generalize, you could argue it's anything hosted off your network. "Cloud" isn't a technical specification, it's a marketing term.

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-145.pdf

Just because people misuse it and spread misinformation doesn't mean that cloud computing doesn't have a widely accepted definition. The NIST definition matches what most (if not all) major "cloud" providers interpret it to mean, so it's a fairly accurate definition in that it can be reasonably applied as an expectation when a server host uses the word cloud. I can say "hosting" means "pet rabbit" and post it in enough forums but the word still has a meaning.

Regardless, seems like a silly thing to argue over when it's really just one word in the title of the article.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@jarland said:

@Microlinux said:

@doghouch said:

http://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-145.pdf

Just because people misuse it and spread misinformation doesn't mean that cloud computing doesn't have a widely accepted definition. The NIST definition matches what most (if not all) major "cloud" providers interpret it to mean, so it's a fairly accurate definition in that it can be reasonably applied as an expectation when a server host uses the word cloud. I can say "hosting" means "pet rabbit" and post it in enough forums but the word still has a meaning.

Regardless, seems like a silly thing to argue over when it's really just one word in the title of the article.

You will colocate my Rabbit? Wondefull, been trying to get rid of it for a while. EATS everything, Like a fekkin goat! Its also bigger then a small dog so might need 4u of space.

She runs Debian, K thx bai.

Thanked by 2jar lontong

On a more serious note, you WANT to add MORE nodes to this latest DOS Botnet of apocalyptic DOOM?

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • @pbgben said:
    On a more serious note, you WANT to add MORE nodes to this latest DOS Botnet of apocalyptic DOOM?

He did technically mention IoT

@doghouch said:

@pbgben said:

He did technically mention IoT

Oh nooo, make him shtaap.

• IoT DDOS Bot

• Dudes, I just put a cloud sticker on my skateboard and I am now calling it cloudboard. Will the NIST overlords now come after me for misusing the term "cloud"?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Stilman said:
    Dudes, I just put a cloud sticker on my skateboard and I am now calling it cloudboard. Will the NIST overlords now come after me for misusing the term "cloud"?

No ones coming for you. Don't be dumb. I'm just saying it has a meaning, and that meaning is consistently a reliable set of expectations for cloud server providers. You can call it something else but then you're the one making it confusing. There's a definition and providers stick to it fairly well, only you can make that confusing and "just a marketing term" by creating your own random definitions for it so that you can say "there is no clear definition because I just made up a few."