Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner introducing DDoS mitigation for all customers and services - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner introducing DDoS mitigation for all customers and services

2»

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, its obvious, you see what happend with OVH, asap they said we got 480Gbit, people tested with 480Gbit DDOS.

Since then, they only silently announce the capacity.

• @JustRefleX said:

@joepie91 said:
    Seems security-through-obscurity is in fashion again.

I mean, they can either give the customers an assurance about what attacks they'll be able to deal with, or let the script kiddies do it for them. I don't know why they believe that not disclosing the capacity is somehow going to make things more "secure".

Yeah, it's quite weird. I just want a rough estimate by you guys or a minimal amount of protection I can expect from Hetzner - Saying nothing at all is just confusing. If they can't give me a proper answer or this forum can't I may have to use SYS.

i think its great thing that they keep it in secret, they only info i got i told they told me they told me since the lunch never null routed server ip and they always keep increasing capacity and improve rules everyday

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

Advicerxyz said: i think its great thing that they keep it in secret

How, exactly, would this be "great"? All they're doing is hiding it from their customers - an attacker can work it out by himself anyway.

• So... has anybody tested the system yet? Does it provide decent protection or what levels of protection can it provide?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

NTT does the same thing with not disclosing their network capacity for their DDoS mitigation due to 'security'.

• @Neoon said:
    Well, its obvious, you see what happend with OVH, asap they said we got 480Gbit, people tested with 480Gbit DDOS.

Yeah, Oles so silent, he just brags about DDoS all the time.

• @tr1cky said:

@Neoon said:

Don't they have 550 GBits right now with voxility layers or something?

• BochiBochi Member
    edited October 2016

@JustRefleX said:

@tr1cky said:

@Neoon said:

If I get that right, they got three times 160Gbps protection at all three sites: https://www.ovh.com/us/about-us/security.xml#protection
    What should theoretically add up to 480Gbps worth of protection, if I am not mistaken and "three 160 Gbps anti-DDoS infrastructures" refers to one 160Gbps protection on each of the three sites.
    However, I am not sure if Hetzner is already playing in the same league with OVH in this terms.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@Bochi said:

@JustRefleX said:

@tr1cky said:

@Neoon said:

If I get that right, they got three times 160Gbps protection at all three sites: https://www.ovh.com/us/about-us/security.xml#protection
    What should theoretically add up to 480Gbps worth of protection, if I am not mistaken and "three 160 Gbps anti-DDoS infrastructures" refers to one 160Gbps protection on each of the three sites.
    However, I am not sure if Hetzner is already playing in the same league with OVH in this terms.

That page is outdated and not accurate now pretty sure.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited October 2016

OVH can tank a DDoS up to 1.5/1.6Tbps.
    Edit: They purchased another VAC last month and are still expanding. Each VAC is able to filter 160Gbps IIRC.

Thanked by 1dynweb
  • Last time I checked OVH has technically more DDOS Protection / VAC than Hetzner has total external capacity. They have started to create their own DDOS Protection hardware along with their own vRACK routers which are going in all their new DC's.

However it is great to see Hetzner taking to step which i saw was their only weak point in their product, along with upgrading their network to 1Gbps Guaranteed for 99% of their products.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • So have anyone tried their protection? I have a VPS with them but not been able to test.

• No offense but .. WTF is up with everyone wanting to test the DDOS capabilities of their provider?!? Do you guys go crash all of your cars to ensure that the safety mechanisms work exactly as what the car manufacturer said it would?!?

Why bother messing up the network (for everyone) just so that you can "test"?

If your current provider was unable to stop a DDOS, then simply move to another provider who is said to have better DDOS protection. End of story.

(mumbles something about kids these days)

@BeardyUnixGuy said:
    No offense but .. WTF is up with everyone wanting to test the DDOS capabilities of their provider?!? Do you guys go crash all of your cars to ensure that the safety mechanisms work exactly as what the car manufacturer said it would?!?

Why bother messing up the network (for everyone) just so that you can "test"?

If your current provider was unable to stop a DDOS, then simply move to another provider who is said to have better DDOS protection. End of story.

(mumbles something about kids these days)

WTF is wrong with you? Obviously, if someone offers something like a FUSE or AntiDDOS, I gonna test it.

No one said, they gonna fire with 100Gbit on the Provider and put multiple racks offline.

• Neoon said: No one said, they gonna fire with 100Gbit on the Provider and put multiple racks offline.

Yea, I'm pretty sure guys here (maybe yourself included?) are going to test your provider's 600gbit+ DDOS capabilities with just like a 1gbit stress test? /sarcasm

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited October 2016

BeardyUnixGuy said: Do you guys go crash all of your cars to ensure that the safety mechanisms work exactly as what the car manufacturer said it would?!?

I always do that. But honestly, the comparison is not too good. Actually it's as bad as that "you wouldn't steal a car" bs. When an mp3 is copied, the original is not gone. And when the server gets attacked, nothing will be destroyed.

If they advertise it as a feature I think you as a customer should at least get some details on it. Or would you trust your internet provider if they told you "we will give you fast internet anytime, trust us"? I totally see the point in your statement, but I definitely get why people would want to test it.

Thanked by 1simonindia
    edited October 2016

@BeardyUnixGuy said:

Neoon said: No one said, they gonna fire with 100Gbit on the Provider and put multiple racks offline.

Yea, I'm pretty sure guys here (maybe yourself included?) are going to test your provider's 600gbit+ DDOS capabilities with just like a 1gbit stress test? /sarcasm

Sometimes its enought to put there a Server for a month, we had a case in Interwerk DC, they had Vioxility Protection 600Gbit+.

When someone got hit, not directly our IP, the Dedicated vent offline, completely for 10-60s, sometimes even longer. As we got told later, they oversold the AntiDDOS protection, we were not the only one which had this issue.

Sometimes the ammount is not the thing you want to test, mostly the filters.

• BeardyUnixGuyBeardyUnixGuy Member
    edited October 2016

If I was buying a car for safety and the manufacturer said it was safe because of $x features, then I would accept it as it is. I would not need to test the features. If I didn't believe/trust the manufacturer, then I would simply buy the car from elsewhere.

chrisp said: And when the server gets attacked, nothing will be destroyed.

I agree that nothing gets destroyed, but it's naive to think that nothing changes as there's absolutely no cost to testing.

There's bound to be some incoming/outgoing lines (not only to the target provider but rather across the Internet) that will now be flooded with the attack up until the point at which the attack is filtered out. At this point, we already have internet-citizens affected.

Furthermore, we have no idea of how Hetzner is being charged for their DDOS protection. Assuming that, somewhere in that equation, there's a limit as to how much attack traffic will be filtered per month (for their current monthly service), and this limit is exceeded, then naturally they'll have to increase their budget. Assuming this becomes an issue, Hetzner customers get a bill increase as well.

Bear in mind that Hetzner has tons of clients so even if a small minority have the same urges to "test" the DDOS protection, we'll see the above repeating fairly often. Though, the actual knock-on effects may not always be seen immediately.

To those who wish to still "test" Hetzner, please remember that the DDOS protection was rolled out as a freebie to all Hetzner clients. Please don't let your immaturity ruin it for the rest of the Hetzner clients.

Thanked by 1Amitz