Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Multiple Currency rule for LEB offers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Multiple Currency rule for LEB offers

NHRoelNHRoel Member
edited December 2012 in General

Well, as we all know that currency is not stable and will change on a regular basis. So, I suggest, instead of using USD as the only currency standard, can we also have a limit based on euro? This way, even if the currency fluctuates, it shouldn't have any issue.
I.e 7 usd or 5.5 euro?

Take this for example,
http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/rootnerds-e5-50month-256mb-openvz-vps-in-frankfurt-germany/#comments

Comments

• Burstnet for examples, maintains two different currency for their euro and US location.

• @Liam I don't actually mind having an EU currency offer as I am pretty sure they do their accounting and pay their bills in Euro.

Why not add a point next to USD and create another limit on euro? Since we don't see anything besides EURO or USD anyway.

• I think you can put a +/- limit for foreign currency conversion.

• Bahh. Leave it the way it is.

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited December 2012

Next we will be talking about adding one for GBP as well... If a US company can offer a German/UK/NL vps for 7$, there is no reason a UK or German company can't check the currency conversion and offer it at close to the same amount. Once an offer is posted, the end user should understand that currency fluctuates and the price could sometimes be a bit higher, or in some cases, a bit lower. A great example of this is with EURO, I have a dedicated server which I pay in EUR even though I am from the US, sometimes paying it in euro may actually be cheaper for me than paying in USD, and vise versa. If you're that concerned, ask the company going into the purchase if they are willing to entertain payments in USD or find a different host that will.

P.S. I will actually watch the currency and how much the conversion costs and attempt to pay my EUR payments when the conversion is in my favor. A EUR is a EUR, so if I can buy the EUR cheaper on the 15th of the month in USD, I pay my bills on the 15th of the month, etc. The company accepting the EUR won't know the difference, only your pocket will when you happen to miss when it is cheaper.

What is a dollar among friends anyhow?

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• Great, another rule

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I try not to over think things. There's a reason pure democracy doesn't work and its that people won't leave things alone until they've overcomplicated them to the point of insanity.

• @Taz said: Bahh. Leave it the way it is.

This this this.

• @Chief need thank you button please

• NHRoelNHRoel Member
    edited December 2012

@TheLinuxBug I completely agree with your point of view and I have never mentioned anything about changing anything. GBP won't be the major as EURO is bigger than GBP and is accepted all over EU. My point was, Just like we have a 7 USD limit, can we not have another 5.5 euro limit? Since offers are posted both euro and usd, It would have been nice to have an actual limit for both currency. Just my 2c.

@bamn Nope, not another rule but just simplifying. One option for USD another for euro. Those who sending offers in euro, will follow euro minimum while those who accepts USD follows USD minimum. Thus future currency change wouldn't have any affect.

@jarland ^^

This is solely my opinion. As this is a community and since majority thinks it is not a good idea, I guess it is not than :)

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We had a similar problem when due to Euro rising against the dollar passed 7$ on our offer by 10 cents or so.
    On the other hand, we use a fixed currency ratio, so we do 1.3/1 no matter what and that can make us take a loss or gain something, but the customer can chose how to pay.
    I think most EU providers have dollar payments, since many customers around the world are more comfortable with that currency, but I admit I dont know the ratio of the dollar against my currency as romania does 80% of trade in Euro and the currency is pegged on Euro more or less.

• I thought it was calculated at the mid-market rate when the offer is posted?
    Personally, I'm fine with that - Most promotions are limited my time/quantity anyway, so any fluctuations aren't too significant.

How about a utility for checking the current mid-market rate (or PayPal's rate) on the website?

• hostdoghostdog Member
    edited December 2012

@Taz said: Bahh. Leave it the way it is.

Our site is in Euro. If a client's currency is in USD, GBP etc it's not sth that we can do anything about it. So if USD is more expensive or less expensive our prices will still be the same in Euro. Your complains to the economy system :)

• Oh the good ole BurstedNet gets mentioned. They were a royal pisser when I griped about then being a US company offering services to a US resident but then doing so in foreign currency. Actually, I believe we are both residing/DBA in the same state.

Anyways, they said baugh humburg and I said see you after a month of that. Cause, oddly their ad, then on WHT was all posted in US dollars. Not a mention of GBP or euros (forget which).

I don't like everything being dollar centric at a time when the dollar is losing prominence.

Whatever the site rules should be is setting the price in whatever currency is common. USD is still it, for now. But more importantly, providers should come up with commonness and know what the financial implication to them is.

Lots of offers end up costing more by the time I check them out and find foreign currency muck, plus I do believe PayPal steps the transaction another 2.5%. Those always seem to be euros.

• what about yuan?

• @Kowloon we have never seen any chinese provider on LEB offering in yuan and I doubt we will ever see any.

• nhroel a lot of china user buy california vps..

• @Kowloon You need to re read this thread buddy.