Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Personal Number
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Personal Number

CoreyCorey Member
edited December 2012 in General

How do people keep getting my personal number :)..... can someone please do some investigation on me. Instead of calling our business line people are calling my personal number.

Comments

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2012

[removed]

Tel. +903.[removed]

?

EDIT: Seems it's even in the WHOIS still.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I always get annoyed when people call me. Don't they know these devices only support this "phone" feature for the same reason we kept floppy drives around for far too long? Talking is overrated.

• @joepie91 said: ?

EDIT: Seems it's even in the WHOIS still.

(903) 746-4415 is the number I'm seeing in the whois.

That whois information there is google cache and will be removed soon right? Surely they are getting the info somewhere else.

• @jarland said: I always get annoyed when people call me. Don't they know these devices only support this "phone" feature for the same reason we kept floppy drives around for far too long? Talking is overrated.

I sense sarcasm.

• Ask them politely :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Corey said: I sense sarcasm.

You'd think so, but the "phone" app is actually my least favorite one ;)

@Corey said: (903) 746-4415 is the number I'm seeing in the whois.

Right, seems the site I linked did some failing number parsing. Seems to have the same number.

That whois information there is google cache and will be removed soon right? Surely they are getting the info somewhere else.

The information on the site I linked comes straight from the WHOIS. The problem is that you didn't give your personal number, so I have no idea if the number in your WHOIS is a personal or a company number. Seemed like a personal number because of the associated address.

• @jarland said: You'd think so, but the "phone" app is actually my least favorite one ;)

I don't mind if people call me, but my business number is there for a buffer. Maybe I'm asleep and that's why business phone isn't getting answered.... I don't want them calling me when I'm asleep.

I had to unfriend everyone on facebook because the first time there was an issue they were messaging me on facebook instead of opening a ticket.

• @joepie91 said: @Corey said: (903) 746-4415 is the number I'm seeing in the whois.

Right, seems the site I linked did some failing number parsing. Seems to have the same number.

The information on the site I linked comes straight from the WHOIS. The problem is that you didn't give your personal number, so I have no idea if the number in your WHOIS is a personal or a company number. Seemed like a personal number because of the associated address.

No the site you linked actually has my personal number, the 746 is an old number.

@Corey said: No the site you linked actually has my personal number, the 746 is an old number.

I see, then it's probably old WHOIS data. It'll take a while for it to vanish from all the online WHOIS services.

Also, removed number and URL from my post.

• @joepie91 said: I see, then it's probably old WHOIS data. It'll take a while for it to vanish from all the online WHOIS services.

Also, removed number and URL from my post.

Ahh ok gotcha.

• Also if you have ever posted it, which you have, then there are sites that index that stuff and keep it. Many agencies will look it up for people also for a minimal fee.

• @AuroraZ said: Also if you have ever posted it, which you have, then there are sites that index that stuff and keep it. Many agencies will look it up for people also for a minimal fee.

I've posted my number? It was in whois, but do other sites keep that info?

edited December 2012

@Corey said: I've posted my number? It was in whois, but do other sites keep that info?

Sites like DomainTools will, but they charge for it. I strongly doubt someone is going to pay DomainTools to get your personal number, unless you really piss someone off.

• @joepie91 said: Sites like DomainTools will, but they charge for it. I strongly doubt someone is going to pay DomainTools to get your personal number.

Ahh ok I see.

• nunimnunim Member
    edited December 2012

903-590-xxxx is your personal #?

There are some free services to see prior domain history, it's not as extensive as DomainTools but it frequently does the job for me.

I've got some domains where I enabled privacy but it seems the registrar pushed the domain through with my original details first then updated it with the whois privacy, as a result you can see the original information with sites like this.

• I recommend not worrying too much about who has your number, and just set up your phone to ignore calls from unknown numbers between certain hours. There are plenty of apps that do that. Sure, you shouldn't HAVE to do that, but once your number is out there, it's out there, and someone determined enough WILL find it.

• Tip: If you've entered it on internet, it can be found. Somehow.

• NexusNexus Member
    edited December 2012

LOL This thread reminds me, I just got a random voice message from some guy today on google voice.

"Hi Mike, This is John with Brian homes. Please call me at (703) 598-3128. Thank you, bye, bye."

My name isn't even mike, lol. Was pretty funny

Google giving our voice phone numbers to advertisers? Bastards! :D

• I received a new cell number the other day and received a text that I had won a target gift card twenty minutes later. Someone received a phone call soon after a rather nasty one. Namely my cell company.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@AuroraZ
    Probably since your phonecompany reused your number.

I have accidently called a guy at Dell when I was looking for someone else on another company. Calling the number listed for the guy I was looking for.

• @nunim said: 903-590-xxxx is your personal #?

There are some free services to see prior domain history, it's not as extensive as DomainTools but it frequently does the job for me.

I've got some domains where I enabled privacy but it seems the registrar pushed the domain through with my original details first then updated it with the whois privacy, as a result you can see the original information with sites like this.

No it is not.

• @Corey - it's already out there - your best option is to change your personal number and never give it out to anyone but your family/friends/etc contacts.

Then use a google voice number for any online service you sign up for to prevent marketing/potential leaks.

Then use your business number strictly for your business.

• If anyone wants a british number, going to their Skype, Contact me :D

• AuroraZAuroraZ Barred
    edited December 2012

@MikHo said: Probably since your phonecompany reused your number.

I have accidently called a guy at Dell when I was looking for someone else on another company. Calling the number listed for the guy I was looking for.

They did just kind of cheesed me off was all. I had them block the number for good.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Connorl said: If anyone wants a british number, going to their Skype, Contact me :D

Can't you do that already?

• ConnorlConnorl Member
    edited December 2012

@Infinity said: Can't you do that already?

Skype Prices = Expensive

About $9 pm, I can do them for about Half :D

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2012

@Connorl said: About $9 pm, I can do them for about Half :D

Meh, leave that for the Cess Pit. I wouldn't trust you to be honest, you've hardly just joined the forums.