Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WholeSaleInternet $10 servers

Comments

• dccdcc Member, Host Rep

We have got an AMD server yesterday with Centos 7. At first there were issues with Centos refusing to install. Then Centos 6 was installed, however server kept crashing under heavy load - it appeared like overheating issue.

Support performed hardware test, which revealed no issues. A few hours later after a completely fresh OS install server started crashing even under little to no load. Support offered to cancel service as a solution...

• sinsin Member
    edited March 2016

dcc said: We have got an AMD server yesterday with Centos 7

Maybe you had gotten my AMD server? I canceled it the day before yesterday because of the same issue. At first I thought it was the network card because I would randomly lose my SSH connection to it and would have to reboot it but then when I tried running benchmarks (like geekbench, unixbench, etc) I would immediately lose connection so I think it was overheating or freezing up.

I ended up canceling it (after spending a week trying to troubleshoot it) and got the $10 Core2Duo which I love and have had zero issues with.

I'm not sure if it would work but maybe you can ask their support if they could exchange your server for a different $10 server like the core2duo?

Thanked by 1dcc
  • When is the 2TB E5 coming up ??

• Passed the bandwidth test no worries! Now to go into production use as backup box...

Thanked by 1sin
  • AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

@dcc said:
    We have got an AMD server yesterday with Centos 7. At first there were issues with Centos refusing to install. Then Centos 6 was installed, however server kept crashing under heavy load - it appeared like overheating issue.

Support performed hardware test, which revealed no issues. A few hours later after a completely fresh OS install server started crashing even under little to no load. Support offered to cancel service as a solution...

Hmmm... They didn't offer you a different server?

sin said: Maybe you had gotten my AMD server? I canceled it the day before yesterday because of the same issue. At first I thought it was the network card because I would randomly lose my SSH connection to it and would have to reboot it but then when I tried running benchmarks (like geekbench, unixbench, etc) I would immediately lose connection so I think it was overheating or freezing up.

Would you mind sending me your service ID? I assume this was a AMD248?

@darknessends said:
    When is the 2TB E5 coming up ??

We had some issues with some of the network gear we had gotten. The replacements are supposed to be here Friday so hopefully Monday they'll be live on the site.

Thanked by 1inthecloudblog
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@AaronW said:

Hmm. One question, you transferred your Colocation customers to another company (not referring it), but your plans like E5—2670 with 1TB, how are they profitable? If you still had the colo customers, well, they would basically cover the costs, but I don't see how it's possible for you to provide such prices, while having an excellent support staff 24/7, owned equipment, etc... Just asking, what are your plans with this?

Thanked by 1AaronW
  • Hey @AaronW, any chance of getting a Windows install on a C2Q with my own license (I have a 7 Home and 2012R2 Standard)? It's okay if it's not possible, I'll keep using Debian in that case.

• @MrGeneral said:
    Hmm. One question, you transferred your Colocation customers to another company (not referring it), but your plans like E5—2670 with 1TB, how are they profitable? If you still had the colo customers, well, they would basically cover the costs, but I don't see how it's possible for you to provide such prices, while having an excellent support staff 24/7, owned equipment, etc... Just asking, what are your plans with this?

He did say most of the way wsi and datashack relate one to each other ( a general aspect of course )

• @MrGeneral said:

Well, they are getting 2,000 of them so it'll work out ok I think. But everything in kanas is cheap as far as I know, (electric etc)...

They'll more then likely be making a bigger margin wasn't the collocation plans something like $36? This will bring in nearly $98,000 in revenue...

@AaronW said:

I gave you a third chance two days ago and ordered a 5420, your support is awesome, really fast. In my opinion, they do have a lot to improve, though. And you know why I'm saying this. They don't seem to bother for losing customers and aren't friendly.

In the past, 6 years ago, I remember the support was friendly.

@inthecloudblog said:
    He did say most of the way wsi and datashack relate one to each other ( a general aspect of course )

It has been like that for a long, long time... They even share, or shared their staff to reply to the tickers... It's the same company.

@MSPNick said:

No colocation plans with them now. So, you can only rent servers which, for example the E5, no one can beat their prices. It's unrealistic. But here I am just questioning, I don't want them to disappear. Aaron knows I enjoy their service, and being a very old customer, established some sort of affection for WSI.

@MrGeneral said:

We never did a lot of colo. Our business is based on volume and dedicated servers are much more profitable than colo.

@AaronW said:

Understood. And please, don't take it as an attack. I like to know what is going on. In gact, I do have plans to order more servers from you. I do need custom, though.

We currently refer any colo inquiries we receive to either JCHost or Accuserv.

@AaronW said:
    We currently refer any colo inquiries we receive to either JCHost or Accuserv.

The second one took your colo customers. Still, if you can get me 10 of those E5s, I will order it now.

@MrGeneral said:
    The second one took your colo customers. Still, if you can get me 10 of those E5s, I will order it now.

We gave them the Oak facility and everything in it. All the network gear, power gear, racks and all the customers that were there. The only thing we got in return was that they assumed the lease.

That should tell you how much we liked colo. :)

Thanked by 1MikePT

The E5s aren't quite ready. Another couple days.

Look at it this way: At least I'm not promising you something, taking your money and then taking several weeks to get your servers online. We all know of providers that play that game. :)

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • blackblack Member

That's a lot of E5's. The other pictures on the timeline are pretty great too :)

Do you mind giving full specs such as ram, harddrive, bandwidth, etc of the E5 for $50?

• @AaronW said:
    We had some issues with some of the network gear we had gotten. The replacements are supposed to be here Friday so hopefully Monday they'll be live on the site.

My wallet is ready.

@black said:
    Do you mind giving full specs such as ram, harddrive, bandwidth, etc of the E5 for $50?

I'd like this too.

black said: That's a lot of E5's.

I think that's the first batch which would be about 500 of them.

black said: Do you mind giving full specs such as ram, harddrive, bandwidth, etc of the E5 for $50?

So what's going to happen is this: On Monday we're going to put the servers online with the 96GB RAM and the 1TB SSDs for $99. Once those are going I'm going to set up a rack with the $49 servers. Probably a few days later. Then, as promised, I will post a link here to them. They won't be on the website. That way my new LET friends will get first crack at them.

When I post the link, I'll have the full specs. They will have 32Gb RAM and a 240GB SSD.

• blackblack Member

AaronW said: Then, as promised, I will post a link here to them. They won't be on the website. That way my new LET friends will get first crack at them.

When I post the link, I'll have the full specs. They will have 32Gb RAM and a 240GB SSD.

Sounds good, I'm looking forward to the shit storm on LET.

• MunMun Member

@AaronW when are the customers at datashack / WSI going to be notified of the new ownership? Will we be moved to a new panel? Actually, why hasn't any info been stated to the customers at all as of right now?

• sinsin Member

Personally I think the most important question of all is...what happened to the live webcam link?!?!?

Thanked by 2zrunner david_W

@AaronW said:

Just got an exact quote: "We can pull the service if you like."

@sin said:

In our case the server would completely shut down (power off) and we had to contact support to have it started. So a bit different it seems. However the issue was getting progressively worse so it could very well be the same system.