Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BEST CDN Service? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BEST CDN Service?

Comments

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep

@ALinuxNinja said:
    Thanks!

Hotlinking:
    At the moment we support hotlinking protection upon request, but we will soon be adding this to the control panel.

Disabling/enabling certain POPs/locations
    We are currently working on a feature to disable Asian POPs. We have no plans for disabling individual POPs though

Secure Token
    As mentioned earlier, this is unfortunately still on our TODO list.

LetsEncrypt Support
    We have recently enabled Let's Encrypt for all custom domains. Our own zone domain runs on a wildcard certificate though.

Force Cache (Strip cookies/etc so that it is cacheable)
    This is the default behaviour. We strip the Set-Cookie header during a pull request.

We have just recently finished the new Control Panel so we are now in the process of addign more features weekly.

Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats

@jimaek said:
    BunnySpeed From Poland I was hitting Hong Kong for some reason. It switched me to Germany only after a few minutes. After a while I was getting UK, then Atlanta and then New York. I stopped monitoring after that.

It looks completely random or basic Round Robin. Thats not how CDNs work

Strange, we're using Rage4's GeoDNS. What is your DNS config?

• jimaekjimaek Member
    edited February 2016

I am using Google's DNS
    http://pastebin.com/raw/egqaz92Z

Your CDN replies literally with a different random answer on every single request

edited February 2016

Can you try again? Should be fixed now. I think it was a caching problem (25s TTL was too high apparently).

• Seems to be working better now

edited February 2016

@ALinuxNinja said:
    I like the pricing, ive been using the OnApp CDN for a while now and would like to try.

Few questions:

Any plans for implementing referer protection to prevent hotlinking?

Also looking for following features:

• Disabling/enabling certain POPs/locations
    • Secure Token
    • LetsEncrypt Support (SSL)
    • Force Cache (Strip cookies/etc so that it is cacheable)

Thanks!

Just wanted to let you know that we rolled out a big update today:

We added support for:

• Blocking hotlinking/allowing requests against a link of whitelisted referrers
    • Blocking specific IPs or IP subnets
    • Toggling delivery for a specific continent
    • Query string ignore to improve cacheability
    • URL token authentication (Secure Links)
    Thanked by 1PrincessOfCats
  • @bunnyspeed - i'm thinking about offering your services to my clients (as in bundling it in). Is it possible to set a bandwidth limit per domain?

edited February 2016

@DeanKamitsis said:
    bunnyspeed - i'm thinking about offering your services to my clients (as in bundling it in). Is it possible to set a bandwidth limit per domain?

Not at the moment, but it would easily be achievable using the API. We will put it on the todo list and I'll update you on the progress. It should be quite easy to implement.

• @BunnySpeed said:
    Not at the moment, but it would easily be achievable using the API. We will put it on the todo list and I'll update you on the progress. It should be quite easy to implement.

That would be nice, I just started playing with the CDN on one site just to see what the service was like.

Looking at it it's all prepaid so someone shouldn't be able to rack up a huge bill using it?

Am I also right in thinking once there's credit on the account it will last until used (or expires?)

• @BunnySpeed said:
    Strange, we're using Rage4's GeoDNS. What is your DNS config?

How's your experience been with them?
    For their NS servers they don't seem to do too great of routing: http://ping.pe/ns1.r4ns.com

RamNode LA goes to EU at 150+ms, but QuadraNet LA goes somewhere only 5ms away.

edited March 2016

@dragon2611 said:
    That would be nice, I just started playing with the CDN on one site just to see what the service was like.

Looking at it it's all prepaid so someone shouldn't be able to rack up a huge bill using it?

Am I also right in thinking once there's credit on the account it will last until used (or expires?)

At the moment we don't automatically suspend any accounts, so technically you could go into negative balance, but we won't really allow you to rack up a huge bill. We are already planning a limiting system of sorts as Dean suggested, so this shouldn't be a problem anymore.
    The account credit never expires of course :) I hate expiring credits...

@HackedServer said:
    How's your experience been with them? For their NS servers they don't seem to do too great of routing: http://ping.pe/ns1.r4ns.com

RamNode LA goes to EU at 150+ms, but QuadraNet LA goes somewhere only 5ms away.

Performance wise they indeed do have some really strange routes in certain places, but as a global service they are quite nice. I don't remember any downtime in the last 3 years that we've been testing / using their service. The GEO routing works really well on the other hand, especially after Google fixed their edns. 3 years ago it was a different story. We're quite happy, except for the price... :)

Thanked by 1iKeyZ
  • DeanDean Member

Yeah, I don't want a site to suddenly start racking up bills; that and i'd want to pre-top up and allocate it to fixed amount per site.

• @Bunnyspeed

Yeh one of the things that puts me off clouds/pay per GB is if someone was feeling particularly malicious they could just repeatedly grab a large file off the site to burn bandwidth.

• @dragon2611 said:
    Bunnyspeed

Yeh one of the things that puts me off clouds/pay per GB is if someone was feeling particularly malicious they could just repeatedly grab a large file off the site to burn bandwidth.

Time to use secure token.

Thanked by 1daxterfellowes
    edited March 2016

@DeanKamitsis said:
    Yeah, I don't want a site to suddenly start racking up bills; that and i'd want to pre-top up and allocate it to fixed amount per site.

Turned out this was actually quite a simple update. We just pushed the new version and you can now set a monthly limit for each pull zone. After it's reached we stop charging for bandwidth for this pull zone and return an empty page HTTP 509 error instead of the data. The API documentation hasn't been updated yet, but the PHP/.NET client have.

Thanked by 1Dean
  • @Cachefly said
    No minimum monthly usage/spend requirement. No upfront cost. No termination fees. LIMITED TIME OFFER. New customers only.
    OFFER CODE: FASTER2016

https://www.cachefly.com/plans-pricing/pay-as-you-go-cdn/

A bit more pricey, but with no minimum it could be cheaper for low usage users.

• ReeRee Member

HackedServer said: https://www.cachefly.com/plans-pricing/pay-as-you-go-cdn/

A bit more pricey, but with no minimum it could be cheaper for low usage users.

If I'm reading their terms correctly, you pay in 1 GB increments, so if in the course of a month you serve just 1 request from each of the 4 zones you're paying $0.62. And if you have a push zone, then $2/mo for storage, even if it's only a couple megs.

And no Let's Encrypt integration that I can see, so they charge $$$ for SSL.

So I think for low usage users, AWS is probably cheaper.

• HackedServerHackedServer Member
    edited March 2016

@Ree said:
    So I think for low usage users, AWS is probably cheaper.

AWS is pull zone only, where cachefly supports push zones. So not apples to apples.
    Thanks for sharing though, I didn't know about the 1GB minimum for storage, that's unfortunate.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2016

@BunnySpeed said:
    Performance wise they indeed do have some really strange routes in certain places, but as a global service they are quite nice. I don't remember any downtime in the last 3 years that we've been testing / using their service. The GEO routing works really well on the other hand, especially after Google fixed their edns. 3 years ago it was a different story. We're quite happy, except for the price... :)

Well, I'm pretty happy with MaxCDN + Amazon S3.

I don't see why BunnyCDN more special... especially when it gave me the same IP when I did nslookup from Canada and Europe.

• FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited March 2016

doghouch said: especially when it gave me the same IP when I did nslookup from Canada and Europe.

Anycast?

Edit:Forget that.

• ReeRee Member

HackedServer said: AWS is pull zone only, where cachefly supports push zones. So not apples to apples. Thanks for sharing though, I didn't know about the 1GB minimum for storage, that's unfortunate.

By AWS I meant CloudFront+S3, which is pretty much like a push zone.

And that's just my interpretation of the terms, so it would be good to double check with them. In fact I'm curious so I think I'll go open a ticket now!

Thanked by 1HackedServer
  • We use keyCDN, very fast and cheap

edited March 2016

@doghouch said:
    Well, I'm pretty happy with MaxCDN + Amazon S3.

I don't see why BunnyCDN more special... especially when it gave me the same IP when I did nslookup from Canada and Europe.

Well, price. MaxCDN is great of course, but it's expensive.

Not sure about your nameserver config but I'm getting quite consistent results with super-ping.com, on my local machine, at home, other ping sites as well as our network. But it is GeoDNS. Also, our main website isn't hosted on a CDN yet, just the static files are.

• Cloudflare is the best there is no better option really, also Free!

• @Ree said
    By AWS I meant CloudFront+S3, which is pretty much like a push zone.
    And that's just my interpretation of the terms, so it would be good to double check with them. In fact I'm curious so I think I'll go open a ticket now!

My (extremely limited) test with CloudFront+S3 felt very much like a pull zone. The first requests were slow as it had to fetch the file. Different experience than what you get with a push zone.

I'm interested in what they say, I'd love to use them, but don't want to pay 1GB of storage for a few MB of files. So do share please :)

• ReeRee Member
    edited March 2016

HackedServer said: My (extremely limited) test with CloudFront+S3 felt very much like a pull zone. The first requests were slow as it had to fetch the file. Different experience than what you get with a push zone.

Good point -- I guess it's not really like a push zone afterall. And my content must not stay in CloudFront's cache very long -- 50,000 requests seen in CloudFront, 27,000 in S3, so over half are being seen as first requests.

I'm interested in what they say, I'd love to use them, but don't want to pay 1GB of storage for a few MB of files. So do share please :)

It looks like my interpretation was incorrect. Their terms page says "CacheFly Pay-As-You-Go Plans are charged as consumption occurs and settled on a monthly basis on the anniversary date of the plan. Charges for Pay-As-You-Go data transfer and storage are billed in Gigabyte increments, as measured by the CacheFly Network.", which is what lead me to believe you'd be billed for 1GB even if you only had a few MB, but here's the responses I just received:

• We prorate storage and do not round up. In a case where you've uploaded 10MB of content, you would be charged only $0.02.

• In this scenario [100MB of transfer in each of the 4 zones], $0.06 ; 10% of 1GB in each zone.

• We currently do not charge for additional zones (we call them subaccounts) and do not have a hard limit on the number of additional created. [KeyCDN charges $1/mo/zone for >5, which is why I asked about this]

• SSL will work out of the box on your CacheFly given subdomain (e.g. https://username.cachefly.net). If you require a custom subdomain to be added to our existing certificate, we can provision this for an additional cost of a one time setup fee of $500 and $200 reoccurring monthly support. [This was in response to whether they had plans to support free SSL, such as Let's Encrypt]

• Pay as you go is postpaid in 30 day increments. We do offer the ability to prepay and If I remember correctly, they expire after 12 months. There is no minimum prepayment amount at this time.

I think I'll sign up for the free trial, but the fee for SSL is likely going to be a deal killer for me. At least I'll be registered as a pay-go user in the event that they integrate Let's Encrypt in the future :)

EDIT: Further reading indicates subaccounts requires a Platinum subscription, so another bummer since it means only one hostname per pay-go account.

Thanked by 1HackedServer
  • @Ree said:
    We prorate storage and do not round up. In a case where you've uploaded 10MB of content, you would be charged only $0.02.

This is great! I'm glad you reached out to them. I am happy using their provided subdomain and free SSL, but those are some pretty steep prices if you need your own.

• @BunnySpeed said:
    Not sure about your nameserver config but I'm getting quite consistent results with super-ping.com, on my local machine, at home, other ping sites as well as our network. But it is GeoDNS. Also, our main website isn't hosted on a CDN yet, just the static files are.

You're absolutely right. MaxCDN is actually quite expensive, but I've been a customer when they first started out as NetDNA. Anyway, I was checking using @jimaek's configuration. (not the main site)

• HackedServerHackedServer Member
    edited March 2016

EDIT: nvm

• GeekoineGeekoine Member
    edited March 2016

Keycdn is Very good. Even if I just discovered the expiring credit thing. Do they allow to transfer the remaining credit to someone else?