Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mandrill soon becoming a paid add-on of MailChimp )-: - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mandrill soon becoming a paid add-on of MailChimp )-:

Comments

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

@kingpin said:
    They could at least have just given a longer notice and their decision wouldn't piss us off so much. I mean free tier plan has been around for quite some time, and I think an extra two months of notice wouldn't cost them lots of money.

Do you really need four months to switch providers? That's the one part of this announcement I can't fault them for at all. A lot of companies would have given much less than two months notice.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Dylan said: Do you really need four months to switch providers? That's the one part of this announcement I can't fault them for at all. A lot of companies would have given much less than two months notice.

I'm chuckling because LET is the land where hosts deadpool with zero notice - they just stop responding to ping :-)

Thanked by 2Dylan vimalware
  • Sendgrid all the way for now

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@rikiy_roberts said:
    Pepipost is better alternative for my business needs as they provide 24*7 support and 25k free emails my friend suggested me so thinking of giving it a try

I suspect that you'll either:

A. Have many more nice things to post here as a new member.
    B. Admit to working for pepipost.

Either one is fine with me, but don't pick this one:

C. Show up in threads to recommend pepipost wherever arguably relevant and add nothing else to discussions here.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I checked plenty of providers (Amazon SES, Postmark, Mailgun, Mailjet, SMTP2GO, some others which I don't remember...) and ultimately switched to Sendgrid.

Why? Stable and reliable company, likely the best deliverability of them all (along with Mailgun and maybe Postmark), good feature set and flexibility and good pricing (indeed free for me, since I have 40k/month included).

It's sad to pay for email delivery, but this is 2016 and that's the sad state of affairs.

• GulfGulf Member
    edited February 2016

@Nyr said:
    I checked plenty of providers (Amazon SES, Postmark, Mailgun, Mailjet, SMTP2GO, some others which I don't remember...) and ultimately switched to Sendgrid.

Too expensive.
    For example, just checked one of aws accounts dedicated to ses.
    So I will pay 157$ for 720 000 emails.

SendGrid scenario:

$19.95 for 100 000

(720 000 - 100 000)*0.00075=465$

19.95 + 465 = 484.95$

edited February 2016

@Gulf said:

Price is only a factor when considering a service. Anyway, I use less than 40k/month so for me SendGrid it's completely free.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Gulf said: So I will pay 157$ for 720 000 emails.

720K emails? That's a pretty big opt-in email list...

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Gulf said: 720 000

What email are you even sending?

By the way, funny how Mandrill closed the comments for the announcement blog post (but they are open on all others).

For anyone interested in SendGrid: they have some different partner offers where the free tier is better...

https://www.google.ru/search?q=inurl:"https://sendgrid.com/partner"&filter=0

Thanked by 1pechspilz
  • @raindog308 said:
    720K emails? That's a pretty big opt-in email list...

It is a busy middle east website. It sends around 40k emails per day.

The delivery is good and low spam rate.

• But I'm looking for a cheaper solution.

Just contacted SendGrid, sadly they do not allow to track email delivery on Lite plan. Would be perfect replacement for SES.

Thanked by 1kingpin
  • Btw SES grants 62 000 free emails per month if you send them from EC2.

• edited February 2016

I hate how only SES allows for sending emails without the originating IP in the headers. Makes it a bit tricky to hide IPs in order to prevent DDOS.

Thanked by 2vimalware Rolter
    edited February 2016

ALinuxNinja said: I hate how only SES allows for sending emails without the originating IP. Makes it a bit tricky to hide IPs in order to prevent DDOS.

That's also the case for Mandrill (and I think SendGrid too).

• DylanDylan Member
    edited February 2016

@Nyr said:
    That's also the case for Mandrill (and I think SendGrid too).

I think you have might have misread his post (I did at first too): Mailgun, Mandrill, and Sendgrid all show the originating IP in the headers. SES doesn't.

Thanked by 1Nyr

Dylan said: I think you have might have misread his post (I did at first too): Mailgun, Mandrill, and Sendgrid all show the originating IP in the headers. SES doesn't.

I did, thanks!

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

aglodek said: Actually, goodwill is often key to putting food on the table

Ok then, goodwill alone, at some point you have to actually sell something, a large customer base is great, a large free customer base is not putting food on the table.

Your right though, this is pretty abrupt, I suspect a new business manager is in place, looked at the figures and realized even if he/she only retains 20% they can make huge profits.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • jarland said: Just FYI if inbox delivery is the key rather than having to send tens of thousands of emails per hour, I would put MXroute as an even stronger service than Mandrill. I've seen emails bounce due to Mandrill's IPs being on RBLs, for example, where MailChannels will re-send from another IP instead of bouncing in such a case.

I can use it as SMTP server to send transactional email @jarland ? Any limit how many emails sent per hour?

edited February 2016

utama said: I can use it as SMTP server to send transactional email @jarland ? Any limit how many emails sent per hour?

You can, it works well for that. Just uses SMTP protocol. I don't have in place strict per-hour limits. I'd prefer not to have to add any, but instead to scale up my MailChannels subscription with growth. To put it in perspective, right now I pay for 300,000 emails per month with MailChannels and all customers combined use barely over 150,000 per month. If you're looking at tens of thousands of emails per day, we should probably talk. Most people aren't going to use anywhere near that.

• SendGrid is using GoDaddy cert on their site.

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited February 2016

Found SparkPost in a Reddit comment. Looks pretty good at the moment:

SparkPost - 100,000 (100K) emails per month FREE

Here's their blog post for Mandrill users: Mandrill Alternative: The SparkPost Survival Guide for Mandrill Users

EDIT: There's a 10K/day limit. Which is still extremely generous!

Thanked by 4black n0my aglodek Neoon

telephone said: Looks pretty good at the moment

That's actually a pretty good price for their next level up too. For 200k emails/m I'd pay $45/m if I knew they would be delivered consistently.

edited February 2016

telephone said: SparkPost

They don't accept sign ups or even logins to existing accounts from Russia, which is ridiculous.

Also they don't advertise this and just show a generic/misleading error, not telling the real reason.

Thanked by 1Rolter
  • Sparkpost looks promising, I'll give it a try.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

If you have a rackspace account you still might be able to get 50k free /mo: http://www.mailgun.com/rackspace

Zeniva said: If you have a rackspace account you still might be able to get 50k free /mo: http://www.mailgun.com/rackspace

Yes, you can actually access Mailgun from your Rackspace account:
    https://help.mailgun.com/hc/en-us/articles/203645864-How-do-I-login-to-Mailgun-from-Rackspace-Cloud-

That's where I found my old Mailgun account which wasn't deleted after all, just merged with my Rackspace.

• @telephone Thanks! 100k/month 10k/day can't go wrong.

Just tested, works really well. Mandrill had a significant lag when it came to gmail. This is instant.

Is there anyway to hide origin IP from the email header?

• I switched to Sendgrid as well. Their WordPress SMTP plugin is super easy to set up, it essentially just requires an API key. Using the Google referrer (thanks Nyr!) I now can send up to 25k free emails a month. I probably need less than 500 a month though ;-)
    It looks like the whitelabel feature is available for free accounts too.
    You know, I wouldn't even mind paying a few cents for my low usage but then it's probably not worth offering a low end usage plan because of the transaction fees.