Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Verizon CFO - Unlimited is just a word it doesn't really mean anything
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Verizon CFO - Unlimited is just a word it doesn't really mean anything

serverbearserverbear Member
edited September 2012 in General

There's a few interesting points in this thread that relate to hosting:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/20/verizon-cfo-claims-unlimited-data-is-dead/

consumers "think they consume a lot more data than they really do."

The same has to be said with hosting, I would bet that a large amount of people that sign up to unlimited plans end up using hardly anything. I have unlimited ADSL2 at home, I probably wouldn't use more than 50GB/month.

How much monthly data do you actually use on your hosting plans? We have 3.2TB BW & only used 40GB in the last month (across 5 sites).

Comments

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited September 2012

We have 30TB bandwidth on our nodes, you can see our actual usage at https://simpleno.de/monitor/

That usage is since boot, not for that month.

• edited September 2012

A lot of customers think their wordpress blog will be the next big thing on the internet, and a measly 5GB hosting plan won't suffice.

90% of the time, it suffices. (But they still want access to a large amount of resources)

• VictorVictor Member
    edited September 2012

I have unlimited adsl2 at my home as well and use ~80GB+/mo, I guess it's just an insurance for me as I don't like paying overage charges. :)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

All my nodes are over 15TBs of BW, however I hardly use more than 5TB on filled up node.

In home - I tend to use around 800GBs monthly.

• well.. until now, I only use 600 GB bandwidth max in a month... never out of that number...

• What do you guys do with 600 or 800 GB of bandwidth? 600GB is like 100 DVDs - can you actually watch 100 DVDs in a month?

• I use a surprisingly low amount of bandwidth at home. Most of my traffic is routed through my VPN so the only measurement I have is:
    7.87 GB of 500 GB Used

That's for this month.

• @rds100 said: What do you guys do with 600 or 800 GB of bandwidth? 600GB is like 100 DVDs - can you actually watch 100 DVDs in a month?

No... It's not like what you think.. In 2010 until 2011 I have a small shared hosting company...
    You know, 80% of my clients implemented some disturbing wordpress plugins like wp-robot and make a lot of auto generated content website in my VPS...
    That's why I lost most of my monthly bandwidth quota... :(

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I think people tend to over-purchase bandwidth allocation because of the ridiculously high overage charges there typically are. It seems safer to just get a lot of bandwidth up front for cheap, instead of paying the jackpot when they go slightly over it.

Solution: lower overage charges.

Thanked by 1Raymii
  • AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

My Netflix b/w for the family alone is over 300GB so far this month.

Throw in another > ~600GB for downloads, streaming, etc.

Love my ISP, no throttling or limits.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@eLohkCalb said: Doesn't work in Opera. :)

F*ck Opera.

:P

• I really agree with you. As far as things like web hosting and cell service goes most people don't need much at all.

@AsadHaider I think home connections are a completely different thing. I use a ton of data each day at home from all of the media streaming and everything.

• @wdq I'm still tied into a old two year contract that came with "Unlimited Mobile Data", they stopped offering it across most carriers here in the UK last year but it's still on my contact. It's great, I always tether my phone when I'm out, stream stuff from iplayer or netflix.

Before this summer, while doing exam revision at the library, I had to tether my laptop to the phone for internet. And I used up around 1.5-2GB every day for a couple of weeks (researching, procrastinating watching videos, etc).

Never had any issues or a phone call telling me it was excessive. O2 are awesome.

• @AsadHaider I'm on Sprint in the United States which is one of the last carriers here to offer unlimited data. Since I host some websites from home and don't have a great upload speed I usually upload YouTube videos through tethering my Sprint phone.

Sprint hasn't really had any issues with it even though the files are several gigabytes each.

• AsadAsad Member
    edited September 2012

@wdq That's cool, how much do you pay for that plan if you don't mind me asking. I've seen mobile plans in the States cost a lot more than here in the UK.

Three do unlimited data, but they have a crappy network where I live.

• wdqwdq Member
    edited September 2012

@AsadHaider Sprint charges the usual price of around $70 per month for the first phone. The larger carriers here charge pretty much the same price.

How much does O2 cost you?

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited September 2012
    Database updated: Tue Sep 25 08:13:01 2012

eth0 since 09/11/12

rx:  35.78 GiB      tx:  71.15 GiB      total:  106.93 GiB

monthly
                         rx      |     tx      |    total    |   avg. rate
         ------------------------+-------------+-------------+---------------
           Sep '12     35.78 GiB |   71.15 GiB |  106.93 GiB |  426.49 kbit/s
         estimated     44.09 GiB |   87.69 GiB |  131.78 GiB |

daily
         yesterday      1.97 GiB |    3.07 GiB |    5.04 GiB |  489.62 kbit/s
             today    132.67 MiB |    1.26 GiB |    1.39 GiB |  394.00 kbit/s
         estimated       385 MiB |    3.68 GiB |    4.05 GiB |
    vnstat
    Database updated: Tue Sep 25 08:14:01 2012

eth0 since 06/11/12

rx:  55.32 GiB      tx:  99.67 GiB      total:  154.99 GiB

monthly
           Aug '12    794.41 MiB |  111.25 MiB |  905.66 MiB |    2.77 kbit/s
           Sep '12     47.83 GiB |   42.66 GiB |   90.48 GiB |  360.89 kbit/s
         estimated     58.94 GiB |   52.57 GiB |  111.51 GiB |

daily
         yesterday      9.24 GiB |    3.87 GiB |   13.11 GiB |    1.27 Mbit/s
             today     88.80 MiB |    1.05 GiB |    1.14 GiB |  322.52 kbit/s
         estimated       256 MiB |    3.07 GiB |    3.32 GiB |
  • inverseinverse Member
    edited September 2012

up 20 days, 13:51

RX bytes:74054493718 (74.0 GB) TX bytes:409646164337 (409.6 GB)

• @wdq Ouch! That is expensive.. I pay £15 which is around $24, probably could have talked that down but I ordered online. I already had a phone, that's sim only.

Not really sure how the calling charges work over there, can you call all over the country or just your state?

• @AsadHaider Wow, that's incredibly cheap for unlimited data.

Calling nationally or across the United States or in another state is completely free. I'm pretty sure international calling costs extra.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2012

I would tend to agree that people get all too upset about limits that they'll never break, or far too excited about unlimited when they barely use any. It's just a mental state where once we've been fed the word "unlimited" long enough, we instinctively think that someone is trying to screw us by limiting us.

I'm the only person I know who willingly dropped the AT&T unlimited data plan in favor of a limited one. The second I heard that they were throttling some users in CA just over 2gb usage, I went with the 4gb plan (now 5gb).

On the subject of actual usage, well my wireless usage is high. I'm probably going to push 10gb this month. On my servers, most don't use 1gb in a month. The most our shared hosting server has ever used is 8gb in a month. Home ISP usually doesn't exceed 60-70gb. That's from memory, as it hasn't been up long enough to consume 5gb for about 6 months now.

• @rds100 said: What do you guys do with 600 or 800 GB of bandwidth? 600GB is like 100 DVDs - can you actually watch 100 DVDs in a month?

WAREZ

• Totally we use around 2tb at our home
    My dad downloads alot of movies (blu-ray) and i... download tons of games

• No cap here!

Well, if TWC (same company as Bright House Networks) tries to do that 40GB/mo crap again, I'm going with another ISP.

• Per server around 2 - 4TB a Month, And at home I would say 10 - 30GB a Day?

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

On my VPS packages, I rarely go above maybe 10% of my b/w limits?

At home, I've no clue how much I use... what I do know is that it's probably quite a lot, and I also get my internet (with unlimited data - no fair usage policy AFAIK) for free :D.

Watch a whole lot of Netflix, and make big downloads from time to time.. I'd estimate that we use around 100GB/month, which isn't too bad considering it doesn't cost us anything!

• DanielMDanielM Member
    edited September 2012

Most i have used on my mobile was 167.42GB. On my adsl most i have used was around 700GB and on virgin media about 4TB

so not unlimited but still alot. wonder what the "Limit" really is.

but thinking US providers are realy shady with there policies. and how they advertise stuff. over in UK we have abit of protection. (via the likes of ofcom etc)

• @Jacob Take it easy with the newbpron will ya?

• My contract has 500MB Data, I only went over data once, How you can use 167GB on a Phone I have nfi.

@DanielM said: mobile was 167.42G