Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IntenseNode spam - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IntenseNode spam

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Thats not going to change anything. The notification only needs the username once and the email notification can be turned of so .....

• @rds100 said:
    On a related note i got a marketing email from a well known provider the other day, offering me to win some Asus tablet. I don't currently have any active services with that provider, though i was a customer in the past.

Did you opt out of said provider's mailing list?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

Nekki said: Did you opt out of said provider's mailing list?

No, but i don't remember opting in either. And in such cases i'd assume that the opt-out is automatic when you are not a customer with active services.

• @rds100 said:
    On a related note i got a marketing email from a well known provider the other day, offering me to win some Asus tablet. I don't currently have any active services with that provider, though i was a customer in the past.

Same here, now that he's no longer a mod, he must have more time for marketing ;)

• @rds100 said:

While I don't approve that either, it's much worse when you get an email from provider you never had service with and you track back that account to another provider. Meaning on of the below scenarios:
    Someone sold your data.
    You data was in one of many DB leaks.
    The new provider is just another brand for the other provider and they are trying to hide it.
    Aliens.

Thanked by 1rds100
  • @vedran I agree.

• @rds100 said:
    No, but i don't remember opting in either. And in such cases i'd assume that the opt-out is automatic when you are not a customer with active services.

Interesting, because I would never assume that and it's perfectly normal in the UK to continue to receive marketing emails even if you're no longer a service user - the onus is on the individual to remove themselves from the marketing list.

As for the opt-in, in the UK there's an exception to the marketing regs that allows you to be marketed to if you've provided your details as part of a sale, and so long as the marketing is relevant to that sale.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited September 2015

@rds100 there is an opt-out link on the email and an opt-out option client side, I understand why a customer might find it a little odd but your a host yourself so I find the fact that you would even say that to be completely ridiculous and a complete diversion your doing on behalf of CVPS for some reason despite the fact that a stolen/hacked, sold database is an ENTIRELY different thing emailing promotions to current customers from your own customer database.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited September 2015

@AnthonySmith i didn't know there is an opt-out in the client area, will check it. I saw an opt-out link in the email, though i never click on links from emails.

And i am not a provider myself, i work for a provider. But the provider i work for NEVER sends marketing emails - not to current and not to past customers. Never.

About me doing diversions on behalf of CVPS - lol :)

edited September 2015

rds100 said: But the provider i work for NEVER sends marketing emails - not to current and not to past customers.

You understand that it is unusual for a company not do direct marketing to current customers though, or is your companies business plan written on a cheese packet?

i.e. your the odd one out, and again it is in no way related to this thread where another host is using the CVPS database to directly spam

rds100 said: About me doing diversions on behalf of CVPS - lol :)

Well I cant see any other 'sensible' reason for it.

• @mikho said:
    Thats not going to change anything. The notification only needs the username once and the email notification can be turned of so .....

That's not true. I only get notifications when I'm lucky, most of the time I have no idea when a member mentions me.

@TheOnlyDK said:
    That's not true. I only get notifications when I'm lucky, most of the time I have no idea when a member mentions me.

Yeah but you don't get notified 5 times if you are mentioned 5 times in a post. You only get 1 notification, if any in your case.

• @mikho said:
    Yeah but you don't get notified 5 times if you are mentioned 5 times in a post. You only get 1 notification, if any in your case.

Got one this time, even an email :o It's not like notifications will change anything since @CVPS_Chris isn't active on LET. And he probably disabled email notifications too sine he gets so much spam everyday already.

• DillybobDillybob Member
    edited September 2015

vedran said: While I don't approve that either, it's much worse when you get an email from provider you never had service with and you track back that account to another provider. Meaning on of the below scenarios: Someone sold your data. You data was in one of many DB leaks. The new provider is just another brand for the other provider and they are trying to hide it. Aliens.

Yep, took the words right out of my mouth. If I ever had any respect for CVPS anyways. They issue invoices on suspended client's VPSs too. Just all around, horrid company. Don't understand why anyone would want to use them. Especially since they are even selling our email addresses out like flies. I wonder what else / customer data of mine they are going to sell? It's despicable really.

edited September 2015

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Got one this time, even an email :o It's not like notifications will change anything since CVPS_Chris isn't active on LET. And he probably disabled email notifications too sine he gets so much spam everyday already.

That is basically what I said. ;)

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

Haven't been on LET in months, was just informed by someone on Skype about this thread.

It was not me or anyone currently associated with CVPS. If I had to take a stab in the dark it is just someone using old DB when we were unfortunately hacked twice a few years back.

As for others saying they were with WLS or 123, they were hacked also if i remember correctly. Probably pooled as many lists together as they could, to get people to pay and make a runner days later.

If anyone has any information they would like to share to try and track them down and make some sort of case for me, you can PM me.

Thanks

• @CVPS_Chris said:

See if hostdime willing to help at all.

@tinytunnel_tom is that where they "were" hosted?

• @CVPS_Chris said:
    tinytunnel_tom is that where they "were" hosted?

Yes, appear to have got suspended/terminated. I will admit I haven't liked you much in the past but if you are willing to pursue this 10/10.

@tinytunnel_tom I am going to look into it deeply and see what comes of it. I will not take these actions lightly

Thanked by 1TinyTunnel_Tom
  • @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
    Yes, appear to have got suspended/terminated. I will admit I haven't liked you much in the past but if you are willing to pursue this 10/10.

He's slowly changing, his attitude is much better now.

• AnthonySmith said: You understand that it is unusual for a company not do direct marketing to current customers though, or is your companies business plan written on a cheese packet?

He knows the majority of local market hate emails...

We also do not use email marketing to upsell to clients, we use announcement...at WHMCS and at our forums

We send emails only if there prophylactic or some emergency....

P.S we have 20 000+ members community which never send email advertising to members for it's 9+ years of existence

Thanked by 1rds100

coolice said: He knows the majority of local market hate emails...

We also do not use email marketing to upsell to clients, we use announcement...at WHMCS and at our forums

We send emails only if there prophylactic or some emergency....

P.S we have 20 000+ members community which never send email advertising to members for it's 9+ years of existence

Great.

Still nothing to do with the actual topic though, and still 2 ways of opting out.

• I see no problem sending occasional promos to members. As long as it's not 1/day, 1/week, 2/month, I have no problems with that.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Still nothing to do with the actual topic though, and still 2 ways of opting out.

LET is what it is thanks to offtopic and memes :) and I like it for that and think other forums are a bit more boring... :)

• TL/DR who is the culprit of this crap? I got it too.

• Use aliases. Never again spam.

• I usually create a specific email address for a provider which I don't fully trust.

I did receive the spam as well, and it's an email address I registered for ThrustVPS - I doubt anyone still using them nowadays...

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • eLohkCalb said: I usually create a specific email address for a provider which I don't fully trust.

Exactly. And even I use aliases for MOST providers. Trusted or not.

Thanked by 14n0nx

@coolice said:
    LET is what it is thanks to offtopic and memes :) and I like it for that and think other forums are a bit more boring... :)

And pointless attacks without foundation.