Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMWARE vps with 1GB RAM/20GB SSD/2TB traffic in UK/FR/DE/IT/CZ for 12eur/year - Page 8
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMWARE vps with 1GB RAM/20GB SSD/2TB traffic in UK/FR/DE/IT/CZ for 12eur/year

Comments

• @Maounique, personal templates are "Compatible only with Cloud Server Pro"

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I was trying to install from ISO.

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

Maounique said: Tried an ISO just to see if it works, I could upload it to their FTP space but there was no way to mount it, I think this is possible only on the expensive plans, but they do have free windows templates, even server 2003, way more windows than linux, if you ask me.

Yep, this feature is available on Cloud Server Pro, not Smart.

I can't figure out how to reinstall OS :(

Thanked by 1camarg
  • GulfGulf Member

@Maounique said:

Can I select a free Windows template on 1 euro server?

• bersybersy Member
    edited August 2015

You can select, but can't use it cause 2GB RAM is required for any Windows versions.

edited August 2015

@bersy said:

You cannot reinstall OS, but you can create another server. One more Euro will be charged, of course.
    I hate their policies. I could, of course, keep my 1.2 (with stupid VAT) Eur a month server, however, with such policies, who knows what will they invent to weed out undesirables, that is obviously an unsustainable stunt to get people onboard and if they do not upscale, they will be terminated one way or the other, the company seems unscrupulous, this is why I decided to bail out.

Thanked by 1roykem
  • Shot2Shot2 Member
    edited August 2015

@bersy said:

In the list of 'Cloud Servers', click the 'Manage' button, stop the server ('Switch off'), click 'Initialize' to choose/reinstall OS.

Thanked by 2bersy kingpin
  • MacPacMacPac Member
    edited August 2015

DC2-IT
    io seams okay

[root@MM~]# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync
    16384+0 records in
    16384+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 3.058 s, 351 MB/s

speedtest
    https://www.speedtest.net/result/4614475225.png

• GulfGulf Member

@bersy said:
    You can select, but can't use it cause 2GB RAM is required for any Windows versions.

Do not see any Windows Template

It explicitly said at installation I cannot choose another later...
    Well, I dont have the account anymore, so I will abstain, but keep watching this thing going, if they prove reliable later, might make an account in some fake name, since legit company has to pay VAT, I can pay VAT without giving any data :)

• Just confirmed you can reinstall it for free.

• You Can re-install the OS on your VPS anytime without being charged again... using the "initialize" feature

• Maounique said: I also used the UK one for some 24 hours and was OK, not the fastest I had and certainly not the best network, but it was more than good for the money. I feel sorry for the support people, but there is no excuse, if you do answer, at least try to make sense.

I have been using the UK for a few days and have had a very prompt & courteous response from support YMMV

As ever it may be down to the individual support staff.

It's worth noting though they do have some restrictions on the VPS in place:

• SSH is only available on port 22 (if you change it you cannot connect)
    • DNS servers are silently replaced (this was via webmin)
    • rDNS is a support ticket request

There are probably more...

zeitgeist said: Got my account validated today with access to the control panel. Set up a VPS in de. Disk speed isn't that great (if you are looking for SSD speed that is), but network quality is quite good. Cannot complain!

Can I ask is TUN/TAP enabled as I couldn't get a straight answer to that from support? Is the VPN using openvpn?

• apidevlab said: Can I ask is TUN/TAP enabled as I couldn't get a straight answer to that from support? Is the VPN using openvpn?

it's vmware not openvz, TUN/TAP enabled isnt required

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • So, if we add a recharge top-up of 10€, the 10€ of the trial remains after the 10 days for the test?

• apidevlab said: SSH is only available on port 22 (if you change it you cannot connect)

I don't have any such restriction (DE location).

apidevlab said: Can I ask is TUN/TAP enabled as I couldn't get a straight answer to that from support? Is the VPN using openvpn?

As @TarZZ92 mentioned, this is a fully virtualized environment and thus doesn't need any kernel modules be enabled. It should work out of the box. FWIW, I am using Strongswan (IPsec).

What I find somewhat worrying and what hasn't been mentioned yet is that apparently passwords are stored in cleartext. For example, when I signed up first using my own username and password combination, I got a follow-up welcome email that contained the same password for the customer area. ...

• @zeitgeist said:
    What I find somewhat worrying and what hasn't been mentioned yet is that apparently passwords are stored in cleartext. For example, when I signed up first using my own username and password combination, I got a follow-up welcome email that contained the same password for the customer area. ...

Yes, I noted that too. I am coming from OpenVZ/Solus providers so it's a little new to me. Overall I am pretty happy and you cannot really fault the price. At least they have some serious infrastructure behind them so if you are comfortable using the cmd line etc it's a no brainer

• nexusrainnexusrain Member
    edited August 2015

Uhm, what exactly did they do? 10 days ago, the dd results in Germany were 26,4MB/s and now

root@some-server:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test.bin bs=1M count=3000
    3000+0 records in
    3000+0 records out
    3145728000 bytes (3.1 GB) copied, 3.38556 s, 929 MB/s

Wut?

GetIPAddr EU benchmark:

-------------Speed test--------------------

Testing EU locations
    Speedtest from Tallinn, Estonia on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 0 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 0 MB/sec
    Speedtest from London, United Kingdom on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 59.07 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 4.50 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Paris, France on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 5.29 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 15.41 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Alblasserdam, Netherlands [ generously donated by http://ramnode.com ] on on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 56.09 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 61.15 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Spijkenisse, Netherlands [ generously donated by http://www.freshnetworks.co ] on a 1 Gbps shared port
    Speedtest from Milan, Italy [ generously donated by http://www.prometeus.net ] on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 68.04 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 27.26 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Dusseldorf, Germany [ generously donated by http://megavz.com ] on a shared 1 Gbps port
    Speedtest from Falkenstein, Germany [ generously donated by http://megavz.com ] on a shared 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 33.59 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 53.41 MB/sec
    Speedtest from Bucharest, Romania [ generously donated by http://www.prometeus.net ] on a semi-dedicated 1 Gbps port
            Download Speed: 8.44 MB/sec
            Upload speed: 3.41 MB/sec
    ---------------CPU test--------------------
    CPU: 1 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2650 0 @ 2.00GHz
    Time taken to generate PI to 5000 decimal places with a single thread: 0m30.013s
    ----------------IO test-------------------
    Writing 1000MB file to disk
    (1.1 GB) copied, 1.35777 s, 791 MB/s

And that for a fckin Euro/m. Wow. If this performance was just more stable. Uptime was 100% so far. Using it to develop my new service for LET.

Edit: Just topped up for 2 more month. :p

Edit 2: Does someone know how to reinstall the OS? Don't want to do it right now, but would generally be interested in that.

• nexusrain said: Edit 2: Does someone know how to reinstall the OS? Don't want to do it right now, but would generally be interested in that.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1239313/#Comment_1239313

• apidevlab said: SSH is only available on port 22 (if you change it you cannot connect)

What do you mean? You can use alternate SSH port with no problem.

• I was unable to, when I asked support if that was the case they advised me 22 was the only port. It may have been lost in translation & also I use webmin I will retry as it does seem odd they would implement this.

• @apidevlab said:
    they advised me 22 was the only port. It may have been lost in translation & also I use webmin

Webmin by default sets up iptables with a rule to allow port 22. So check if iptables is running on your VM.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • @nexusrain said:

>

Edit 2: Does someone know how to reinstall the OS? Don't want to do it right now, but would generally be interested in that.

Stop the VPS, then choose "initialize", select the new template and that's all. Don't cancel, just initialize.

Thanked by 1nexusrain
  • dragon1993dragon1993 Member
    edited September 2015

Hi !

Which datacenter is the best choice for webhosting ? (Target country is Hungary)

Now try use Ubuntu 14.04 LTS template, but i get error.
    Debian 6 template is work.
    I opened a ticket.

• dragon1993 said: Which datacenter is the best choice for webhosting ? (Target country is Hungary)

CZ or DE.

• @William said:

CZ or DE.

CZ datacenter have more peer partner, than DE datacenter
    Ping
    CZ: 25ms DE: 29ms

CZ serverbear

DE serverbear
    DE io sometimes it slows down.

Which one is better ?

• That heavily depends in your targets - Both will have most Hungarian ISPs as peer, with the exclusion of DTAG/Magyar Telekom which will in 99% of cases route through Frankfurt anyway.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

I would pick CZ since their presence is way bigger there.

• Is it any hardware and network benchmarks of all datacenter?

• I've compared Aruba network with Linode in the UK. Aruba is the winner. Linode is a bit faster to Dallas and Singapore.