Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Cheap Wildcard SSL Certificate

Hey!

I know this question gets asked all the time, but the other threads contain outdated information/links and/or offers.

So; where's the best place to get a wildcard SSL certificate?

Thank you.

Comments

• https://www.gogetssl.com/ I think it was around £35 + tax for a GGSSL wildcard (Which is acutally comodo anyway) last time I looked.

• Bitmap said: outdated

no, few thread still up to date, per pricing.

Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• asfasf Member

~5$ alphassl from @Mahfuz_SS_EHL

Thanked by 1wwwcom
    • Silvenga said: I guess there's places like http://hostmybytes.com/ssl-certificates/ - $4.99/yr.

Thanks for the mention!

Jacksonville VPS with 99.9% Uptime from $2/m

Brisbane? Nuremberg? Los Angeles too? Even the UK? That's right! Tons of locations for shared hosting

• @HostMyBytes said:

there is a thanks button

Thanked by 2HostMyBytes Mathias
    • AkitoAkito Member
      edited August 2015

@rauppe31 SinaVPS gives free wildcard AlphaSSL together with a VPS for more or less $3,-.

Thanked by 1rauppe31
    • XiNiXXiNiX Member, Provider
      edited August 2015

VMBox too have Free WildCard SSLs with their VMs.

Thanked by 2StevenN v998

XiNiX™ InfoTech Pvt. Ltd. : Virtual & Dedicated Servers in US / EU & India
      Our Very Limited Shared / VPS / Cloud & Dedicated , Promotional Offers > [ Special Offers ]

• Wildcard SSL is not that popular now, people hunting multi-domain SSL now, since we own many domain every year and using single VPS and 1 dedicated IP #lol

CEO of PT. Rokok Kopi Internet Tidur Tbk.

• Check SSL certificates here :- http://leapswitch.com/ssl/

• @HostMyBytes said:

Setup a intermediate certificate, your SSL isn't configured properly.

wget https://s.flamz.pw/dl/bench.sh && bash bench.sh

curl https://s.flamz.pw/analytics/bench/stats.php

• @FlamesRunner Thanks, I'll make sure we get this fixed

Brisbane? Nuremberg? Los Angeles too? Even the UK? That's right! Tons of locations for shared hosting

• I can still give away some free AlphaSSL wildcards. PM with CSR (*.domain.tld as CN) and setup hostmaster/webmaster/[email protected] or I can use the email of whois for verification.

• @Akito Actually 3 CHF? https://sinavps.ch/

Well CHF is roughly equal to USD but a bit bigger now lol

• Amazing how cheap SSL became after "let's encrypt" was announced.. or were they always this cheap? (wildcard I mean)

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• @4n0nx said:
      Amazing how cheap SSL became after "let's encrypt" was announced.. or were they always this cheap? (wildcard I mean)

No, SingleHop has had a partnership with Verisign for a while. VPS providers are just reselling SSL certificates meant for their network.

Thanked by 14n0nx
    • Any chance we can get a 3 year cert for that price range?

• Silvenga said: I guess there's places like http://hostmybytes.com/ssl-certificates/ - $4.99/yr.

-

AlphaSSL certificates will provide you with 2048 bit root strength and 256 bit encryption strength. Normally retails at $149/yr

Eh? I thought the "root strength" depends on the private key and the "encryption strength" on the used ciphers? Can't use CSR with hmb? Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks. :)

[have only used self signed certificates so far]

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

• SilvengaSilvenga Member
      edited August 2015

4n0nx said: Eh? I thought the "root strength" depends on the private key and the "encryption strength" on the used ciphers?

This guy had the same exact question as you. http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/19473/understanding-2048-bit-ssl-and-256-bit-encryption

4n0nx said: Can't use CSR with hmb?

What do you mean by hmb?

Thanked by 14n0nx
    • 4n0nx said: Eh? I thought the "root strength" depends on the private key and the "encryption strength" on the used ciphers? Can't use CSR with hmb? Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks. :)

I think they are talking about their own certificate, not yours.

Thanked by 14n0nx
    • HostMyBytesHostMyBytes Member
      edited August 2015

4n0nx said: Eh? I thought the "root strength" depends on the private key and the "encryption strength" on the used ciphers?

As for the root strength, I would refer to the stack exchange article. This is a claim also made by AlphaSSL themselves on their website.

Can't use CSR with hmb? Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks. :)

You can use (and in fact we require) a CSR if you order an SSL from us.

Thanked by 14n0nx

• BitmapBitmap Member
      edited August 2015

Went with @HostMyBytes, support response time is fairly quick, too.

+1

P.S. thank you to those that posted.

Thanked by 1HostMyBytes
    • rm_rm_ Member
      edited August 2015

Well they have to invent some smart-sounding b/s to justify the ridiculous price tag. As if 2048 is somehow worth to pay more for, than (some other value everyone else uses), despite nobody using anything less than 2048 for a long time now.

Fidde said: I can still give away some free AlphaSSL wildcards. PM with CSR (*.domain.tld as CN) and setup hostmaster/webmaster/[email protected] or I can use the email of whois for verification.

I got one some time ago, thanks. :)

• elgselgs Member

@Silvenga said:
      I guess there's places like http://hostmybytes.com/ssl-certificates/ - $4.99/yr.

I still spend around $80 to buy wildcard at ssls. How can the price be so different? Does their $4.99 certs support all browsers? What's the renewal price?

• rm_rm_ Member
      edited August 2015

elgs said: How can the price be so different?

Because a cert is just a couple of kilobytes and a few seconds of crypto computation time on a server. It's basically free to make, and you can make as much as you want at no extra cost.

Thanked by 2elgs NeoXiD
    • @elgs said:
      I still spend around $80 to buy wildcard at ssls. How can the price be so different? Does their $4.99 certs support all browsers? What's the renewal price?

Same question.. what about the renewal price? Would that be the same?
      Thanks..

• elgs said: I still spend around $80 to buy wildcard at ssls. How can the price be so different? Does their $4.99 certs support all browsers? What's the renewal price?

Nowadays I can get both normal and wildcards for free. And yes, it's trusted (at least mine - not sure if the one you mentioned is the same type) - the site in my signature uses one of them.

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
      edited August 2015

@Traffic said:
      Nowadays I can get both normal and wildcards for free.

Are you talking about the SH certs or an actual regular cert directly from the vendor or resellers?

• @TheOnlyDK said:
      Are you talking about the SH certs or an actual cert directly from the vendor or resellers?

Aren't SH certs actual certs? :)

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• @Traffic said:
      Aren't SH certs actual certs? :)

I should use the term "regular".

• @TheOnlyDK said:

It's a SH cert, but it looks that almost everyone who is selling wildcards at <$15 just resells them. So no reason to go through potentially several intermediaries if you know the source and don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

• I spent the $59 to become Level 2 certified at StartSSL. Now I can generate as many regular and wildcard SSL certificates for free as I need over the next two years, for domains that I own.

Thanked by 1aglodek

IT Manager, Linux/Windows Administrator, AWS SysOps Certified, AWS Developer Certified, EMT, Amateur Radio Operator

www.dougware.net / www.dougeubanks.com / finddougie.com

• RadiRadi Member, Provider

@Traffic said:
      Nowadays I can get both normal and wildcards for free. And yes, it's trusted (at least mine - not sure if the one you mentioned is the same type) - the site in my signature uses one of them.

How?

4 GB RAM/90 GB SSD/4 TB Traffic/KVM/1 IPv4 for $7/mo only here with coupon code "LET-It-GO".

• tommytommy Member
      edited August 2015

.. removed

Let's bet which dot-name will collapse first ;)

• @Traffic said:
      It's a SH cert, but it looks that almost everyone who is selling wildcards at <$15 just resells them. So no reason to go through potentially several intermediaries if you know the source and don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

Can you PM me the source of free SSLs .
      Thank You.

Hosts I Recommend >> HVH | XiNiX | CloudCone | HostUs | BuyVM | VirMach

• @Radi said:
      How?

Mridul said: Can you PM me the source of free SSLs . Thank You.

You can't just get them. Gotta be a member of the Lyon's Choir Crypt Society. Are you a member of the LCCS? If so you should have received the info in your welcome letter.

• @Traffic said:
      [...] and don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

A certificate without the private key is useless, or do you mean they have that as well?

• qrwteyrutiyoup said: A certificate without the private key is useless, or do you mean they have that as well?

Damn you're right. Of course not, only the CRT..

• @DougWare said: I spent the $59 to become Level 2 certified at StartSSL. Now I can generate as many regular and wildcard SSL certificates for free as I need over the next two years, for domains that I own.

Seriously?

Andrew Glodek | Special Projects Director | 香港國際商務中心 HONG KONG INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS CENTRE
    • NeoXiDNeoXiD Member
      edited August 2015

@aglodek said:
      Seriously?

True (only for 360 days or so though, but 2 years certificate validity), but:

• They require a uncensored scan of your passport
      • They require a recent, uncensored utility bill
      • They require your address & phonenumber
      • They keep all that data for 7 years
      • They're allowed to ask for even more, which they'll do if you're unlucky

They're located in Israel. Nice and friendly guys, for sure, but I had concerns about identity theft, as giving out all that data is... kinda insane.

And for everyone wondering why he/she is paying that much more for his certificates: You've just discovered the certificate mafia. The only thing which some more expensive certificates offer is a higher insurance value.

Thanked by 1aglodek

SnapServ Mathis - Your cheap and reliable RIPE Sponsoring LIR. Use coupon code LET2017 to get a recurring discount of 10% on our products!

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Member, Provider

@asf said:
      ~5$ alphassl from Mahfuz_SS_EHL

Thanks for the Mention.

AlphaSSL Revocation Issue is being investigated.

• @NeoXiD said:
      And for everyone wondering why he/she is paying that much more for his certificates: You've just discovered the certificate mafia. The only thing which some more expensive certificates offer is a higher insurance value.

I sent them a photo of the front of my driver's license and an edited utility bill that only showed my address and the "letterhead".

They will need a phone number to call and verify it's you.

It was worth it to me. I ended up getting two wildcard certs, but one of them has a lot of domains on it.

Thanked by 1aglodek

IT Manager, Linux/Windows Administrator, AWS SysOps Certified, AWS Developer Certified, EMT, Amateur Radio Operator

www.dougware.net / www.dougeubanks.com / finddougie.com

• jarjar Provider

I don't trust people reselling SingleHop certs outside of their terms. I'm pretty happy with GoGetSSL's own branded wildcard, which is just Comodo marked down a little. It's $42 for a reseller, which anyone can be you just have to sign up for.

HB | Block AS9009 (M247) for unfiltered abuse and ignoring abuse complaints

• elgselgs Member

@rm_ said:
      Because a cert is just a couple of kilobytes and a few seconds of crypto computation time on a server. It's basically free to make, and you can make as much as you want at no extra cost.

Just got one. Saved me hundreds of $.

• elgs said: Just got one. Saved me hundreds of $.

where?

• Traffic said: don't want all of them to know your CRT data (yes, it's available to them - and it's a security risk).

Security risk? Don't you send the crt to every browser that connects?

Thanked by 1vimalware
    • Just spoke directly with strategic manager of AlphaSSL, he told quite interesting information regarding super cheap AlphaSSL Wildcards. They have few large hosting providers that have bundle contracts, but they are not allowed to re-sell them outside own servers.

AlphaSSL will find out the SSL is being misused and will revoke them. If the company is not obtaining the certificates this way.

So please, be careful, as your certs can be revoked, and probably no refund will be....

Cheap and professional SSL Certificates | https://www.gogetssl.com

• @gogetssl said:
      So please, be careful, as your certs can be revoked, and probably no refund will be....

This has been discussed before, yes it is possible for GlobalSign to revoke those certs, but why would they do that? It would cost them more to revoke than to issue more certs. Can I understand that you posted here just because this "pricing" has affected your sales?

• @TheOnlyDK #rekt :D

I can't wait for "let's encrypt" to start in September. See how the prices will plummet. :)

• Thanks to @Silvenga as well. The cheapest SSL I ever got so far and @HostMyBytes support was very quick for me as well. Now my "special" url shortener linked in my sig has a SSL as well :)

Thanked by 3HostMyBytes 4n0nx elgs

¦ x64Dash ¦

This discussion has been closed.