Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Behold the Wable! - Page 13
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Behold the Wable!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited June 2015

@isaacl said:
    Is there any way to get multiple bundle #3's on one account?

Bundle #4 = 2x #3, etc (on all but disk). Package stacking would just be a way to get around the costs for the service. My opinion anyway :P

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • isaaclisaacl Member
    edited June 2015

@Jar said:
    Bundle #4 = 2x #3, etc (on all but disk). Package stacking would just be a way to get around the costs for the service. My opinion anyway :P

And 3 x the cost, which is why I was asking... :)

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@isaacl said:
    Is there any way to get multiple bundle #3's on one account?

@Jar said:

Correct, accounts are one per customer. Please upgrade your bundle if you like the service. Obviously we don't make a massive profit on powrboosted bundle 3, it's intended as a way to encourage people to try the service, and grow their accounts. We love bundle #3 customers, don't get me wrong. :-) We recently added new bundles up to #15 as #11 wasn't enough for some customers.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Incero Do you provide an API for creation and deletion of VPSs?

• LeeLee Veteran

@trewq said:
    Incero Do you provide an API for creation and deletion of VPSs?

They have an API planned but no time scale yet.

http://wable.uservoice.com/forums/245224-general

Thanked by 2trewq ryanarp
  • trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

Seems silly that they don't already have it.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Will the "powerboost" remain when I once upgrade from bundle #3 to #4 or above?

• LeeLee Veteran

@Amitz said:

Yes it does. Only on bundle 3 and above.

@Amitz said:

yes, you can keep powerboost but you actually have to click the link again after you've paid for the new higher bundle. Basically a bundle change sets your resources to whatever the bundle is, and powerboost increases them. Thanks!

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • RootMuppetRootMuppet Member
    edited June 2015

@Incero: Any chance you'll add smaller RAM allotments than 512MB?

Scenario:
    If I'm running a personal VPN server, I don't really need 512MB VM. 128MB/256MB is enough for task-specific VMs. I much rather use the extra RAM on my test or production VM.

edited June 2015

No, because during beta the newbie ticket increase when people try to do various things with 128/256mb ram etc was too high. We already give 2-3x as many resources as most hosts.

• So among other things I'm currently going through with wable at the moment, I just noticed snapshots were enabled for all my VM's, as in snapshots had been setup and I was getting charged for them without my knowledge.

Now I will acknowledge right now Wable had in fact sent an email at the start of the month saying "Automatic snapshots have been enabled on all active Wable accounts." Which at the time I assumed was simply an announcement that snapshots COULD be enabled not that they had already and that I'd be paying for them.

However so far it's only cost 30 cents, nothing I'm going to lose sleep over. Merely putting the word out there, check your accounts and disable the backups if you had no intention of using them and missed or misunderstood the email like I did.

Thanked by 2SpeedyKVM deadbeef
  • yes, i too noticed this yesterday and disabled auto backup. As I mentioned before it was nice to have some option to select which instance need auto back up as some instances I have are not important.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
  • heh I didn't even notice it was all or nothing, would have to agree there @praveen. The ability to select which VM's you'd like backed up would be nice as well.

However I still wish they hadn't taken the liberty to activate them for me, if something had gone wrong I would be loving them for it but redundancy's were already in effect in my case. It was redundant and a little annoying.

Anyhoo, no intention of making drama out of this, just spreading the word.

Thanked by 1SpeedyKVM
    edited June 2015

@Umcookies said:
    heh I didn't even notice it was all or nothing, would have to agree there praveen. The ability to select which VM's you'd like backed up would be nice as well.

However I still wish they hadn't taken the liberty to activate them for me, if something had gone wrong I would be loving them for it but redundancy's were already in effect in my case. It was redundant and a little annoying.

Anyhoo, no intention of making drama out of this, just spreading the word.

We appreciate your feedback very much.

We're not going to burn anyone's testicles off by holding them to the fire over a 30 cent auto snapshot bill. On this first billing, if you have only used auto snapshots (not manual) you may open a ticket and ask for the charge to be cancelled. :-)

Backups were a long requested feature and I can already count 10+ clients that have been saved by them in just the few weeks since they were implemented.

Anyway, here is the email that was sent for anyone else that may have missed it;
    http://wable.com/snapshotsnotice.html

We look forward to adding more features like the selection of which vps to backup on the schedule, but there is no ETA for that as there are other priorities right now ( wable.uservoice.com )

Thanked by 2Umcookies praveen
  • @Incero said:
    We appreciate your feedback very much.

My pleasure, it's a service I've used extensively for the last ~180 days the VM has been online without fault. I'm definitely not going anywhere yet over a measly few cents. It was partially my fault anyway, I had read the announcement here on LET so marked the email as read as soon as I saw it.

Now we just need to work out why my VM's load keeps skyrocketing for no reason and I'll be back to being the quiet customer.

• J1021J1021 Member

Why on earth would any legitimate company start charging customers for something they hadn't requested/enabled themselves?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2015

Incero said: We're not going to burn anyone's testicles off by holding them to the fire over a 30 cent auto snapshot bill. On this first billing, if you have only used auto snapshots (not manual) you may open a ticket and ask for the charge to be cancelled. :-)

This really doesn't sound reasonable to me. You shouldn't have automatically charged customers for a feature they didn't request to begin with, why are you not refunding all of the charges automatically, and letting users enable this functionality themselves?

This smells like cashing in through customer laziness; ie. counting on the majority of people not bothering to send in a ticket for a refund / turn off the feature. The same kind of tactic as used by malware bundlers.

• @joepie91 said:
    This smells like cashing in through customer laziness; ie. counting on the majority of people not bothering to send in a ticket for a refund / turn off the feature.

Snapshot Storage: $0.05 per GB

Pretty sure he's buying a yacht next month.

Thanked by 2jar Pwner

@deadbeef said:
    Pretty sure he's buying a yacht next month.

It's not about the amount, it's about the business practice. And even for a small amount, with sufficient customers it's a pretty penny.

• nightshadenightshade Member
    edited June 2015

I caught it before I was billed not that it mattered its a small amount especially for the $8 plan.

Guess the thought process in implementing this was Get complaints about the extra billing or get complaints because people didn't turn it on and then complain about lost data.

Think that was a major design flaw having autobackups on all or none. Maybe they should have the user base beta test stuff like this before general release.

edited June 2015

@joepie91 said:
    This smells like cashing in through customer laziness; ie. counting on the majority of people not bothering to send in a ticket for a refund / turn off the feature. The same kind of tactic as used by malware bundlers.

Nobody has been charged for backups/snapshots.

I already said above that customers can request the backup pending charge be cancelled before the 1st, and that anyone who does get charged on the 1st (card on file) can ask for it to be refunded.

Is your aim in life to whine about stuff that you don't even use? Get a life.

I'll repeat it three more times for you;

Not a single cent.

Quit your whining, if you were a customer I'd love to have your feedback, but whining when you don't even use the service is just lame.

• All customers were emailed
    • posted on facebook
    • offered refunds in forums/tickets for any charges that go through on the 1st (none have gone through yet, as we implemented it on the 2nd and billing is on the 1st).
    • nobody is going to be at a loss, other than us for saving people's data and refunding the charges
    • you're still whining
    • punks like you make interfacing with the LET crowd a chore at times, grow up.
    edited June 2015

Incero said: Nobody has been charged for backups/snapshots.

I already said above that customers can request the backup pending charge be cancelled before the 1st, and that anyone who does get charged on the 1st (card on file) can ask for it to be refunded.

[...]

• All customers were emailed
    • posted on facebook
    • offered refunds in forums/tickets for any charges that go through on the 1st (none have gone through yet, as we implemented it on the 2nd and billing is on the 1st).
    • nobody is going to be at a loss, other than us for saving people's data and refunding the charges

I'm purely going off the information that I can see (in this thread). Based on that information, customer action is required to not be charged for it at some point, and that is what I have a problem with. The default should be no extra charges, and paid backup/snapshot services should be opt-in exclusively.

If my interpretation of the situation is wrong, then feel free to disregard my criticism, as it doesn't apply. If it is an opt-out scheme, as it sounds like to me, then see the above criticism.

Incero said: Is your aim in life to whine about stuff that you don't even use? Get a life.

Quit your whining, if you were a customer I'd love to have your feedback, but whining when you don't even use the service is just lame.

you're still whining

I don't really care. I'm doing the same thing that I've been doing since I first joined this forum, and that is calling out dubious practices when I see them, regardless of who is committing them. I do not need to be a customer to prevent others from getting caught up in dubious business.

It's really simple to get me off your back: don't do questionable things. If you run a clean and transparent ship, I have no reason to bother you. If things smell, then I will speak up.

And as for not being a customer - I'm not a customer because of the dubious things I've seen around Wable (notably, the ToS). Had you resolved those issues, rather than said "well, that's how it is", then I quite likely would've been a customer. So don't draw up some spiel about only customer feedback being welcome - it's an echo chamber.

• punks like you make interfacing with the LET crowd a chore at times, grow up.

And how is that my problem? This is a forum, not an advertising board. If you cannot deal with criticism about your business practices, then don't post here. I'm sure WHT will be more than happy to ban people and remove posts when somebody dares to utter a critical word on an offer or provider thread.

Open criticism is necessary, especially in an industry like this, where it's easy and attractive to engage in dubious business practices. I'd much rather have a provider being angry at me, than having other users get screwed over by a provider, for whatever dollar amount it may be.

• @Incero : First off, Love the new feature. Saves me hours with clients running on Wable.

But I don't think it should have been enabled by default; Leaves a bad taste in the mouth for brand new customers who are new to @Incero brand+experience.
    The snapshot pricing is really fair though.

I'm not one to immediately attribute annoying changes to malice, rather than PR stupidity.[1]
    I'm guessing this was done with only good intentions.

@Incero is neither malicious nor incompetent, as LEx knows by now.

But prevention beats the mass emailing PR cure.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Hanlon's_razor

Thanked by 1ryanarp
  • @Incero when can we get debian 8 man

• yes, add a Debian 8 template and premium IPV6 to wable asap!

• wychwych Member

JoeMerit said: premium IPV6

IPv6 would be nice, but what makes a premium IPv6?

• @wych said:

Provided by CC.

• wych said: what makes a premium IPv6?

premium provider with premium v6 network = premium ipv6

also, would like to see providers offer DDoS protected v6 addresses, it makes their ipv6 addresses SUPER premium, a next level of premium-ness

Thanked by 1J1021
  • AmitzAmitz Member

@GIANT_CRAB said:
    also, would like to see providers offer DDoS protected v6 addresses, it makes their ipv6 addresses SUPER premium, a next level of premium-ness

Wouldn't that be Premium Galore already? ;-)