Windows VPS on Digital Ocean
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Windows VPS on Digital Ocean

duc5educ5e Member
edited November 2016 in General

Hi !

During the past few weeks I found myself doing lots of work with Windows VMs. I finally started reading-up on the use of snapshots and took the time to figure out how to install the Windows VM on DigitalOcean !

Screenshots

Windows Thin Pc on Digitalocean

512 MB Memory / 20 GB Disk / SGP1




How to Install

(removed by mod)

Skype : ducapps

«1

Comments

  • why not share on LET?

  • Is that even allowed? @jarland

  • It is easy to install Windows 7 on Digitalocean VPS. If you're using Debian Jessie, create a FAT32 or NTFS partition on your existing Linux VPS (app. 4 GB). Then copy your Windows 7 ISO contents to FAT32/NTFS partition. In the end, add this config to your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file:

    menuentry "Windows" { insmod fat set root='(hd0,msdos5)' ntldr ($root)/bootmgr }

    Change msdos5 part to your FAT32/NTFS partition number. (If it's dev/vda3, change to msdos3). Reboot your VPS and start installation by selecting Windows at Grub screen.

    Note: Don't remove FAT32/NTFS partition during installation. After installation, you can remove it.

    Signature

  • jarjar Provider

    @TheOnlyDK said:
    Is that even allowed? @jarland

    Bragging without posting the guide? I guess, but not cool :(

  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Is that even allowed? @jarland

    it's an grey area

    Make your choice on your own But i can help you to make them right.

  • Sounds like a lot of wasted effort. On other vendors which offer Windows natively you can launch in minutes, no setup work needed. Yet it seems that there are much less vendors offering Windows than Linux. You can get Windows running in minutes on OVH and UpCloud (Which is billed by the hour). Of course Azure is there too, which could be considered the de facto provider for Windows.

    Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Provider

    simonindia said: it's an grey area

    I honestly don't care if anyone does this, but I guess I should note a few things that may fail:

    1. Reset root password button (you'd think this is obvious, you'd be wrong)
    2. Snapshots (maybe, maybe not)
    3. Backups (likely)
    4. Migrations (may fail)
    5. Console (novnc seems to hate it)
    6. Block storage (maybe)

    In short, I do not recommend using unsupported operating systems with DO because features are developed specifically with the offered OS choices in mind. Many are file system dependent.

    Thanked by 2simonindia coreflux
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member
    edited October 2016

    Not legal, I read Microsoft Agreement and only Windows Server series are allowed but in grey area you can do anything. (Not recommended)


    I Agree with @jarland

    Cheap $9/Year Hosting(US/UK/Canada/ES) - Cheap Windows VPS Hosting from Dewlance & Linux Xen VPS at low price. PreMadeKb.com WHMCS/Blesta Readymade Knowledgebase
  • ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

    @DewlanceVPS said:
    Not legal, I read Microsoft Agreement and only Windows Server series are allowed but in grey area you can do anything. (Not recommended)


    I Agree with @jarland

    Cool Story Bro!

    Thanked by 3GCat Mridul sayem314

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • It's very easy to do that, nothing to proud of.

  • LeeLee Member
    edited October 2016

    DewlanceVPS said: Not legal

    Do as you say, but don't copy what you do huh...

    It's better to keep your mouth closed, and let everyone wonder if you're stupid; than to open it and remove all doubt.

  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member
    edited October 2016

    @Lee said:

    DewlanceVPS said: Not legal

    Do as you say, but don't copy what you do huh...

    Don't worry. I am not a bad person and don't want to violate any rule.

    Cheap $9/Year Hosting(US/UK/Canada/ES) - Cheap Windows VPS Hosting from Dewlance & Linux Xen VPS at low price. PreMadeKb.com WHMCS/Blesta Readymade Knowledgebase
  • @DewlanceVPS said:

    @Lee said:

    DewlanceVPS said: Not legal

    Do as you say, but don't copy what you do huh...

    Don't worry. I am not a bad person and don't want to violate any rule.

    Cool Story Bro!

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • WHTWHT Member

    Windows 7 with 512mb vps?

  • MikeAMikeA Member, Provider
    edited October 2016

    @WHT said:
    Windows 7 with 512mb vps?

    It'll work... just sucks if you plan to use it for anything.

  • I wouldn't bother with anything less than 768MB-1GB, Windows likes to idle around 512MB for the OS itself.

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • It's Windows Embedded, so it's footprint is much smaller (as are is capabilities.)

  • I sent duc5e an email asking for more information and he said that he won't share the guide but instead install it for you. Did anyone test the iso's he uploaded on that other guide? I saw that he modified a bit of the user account on the images.

  • @camjac251 said:
    I sent duc5e an email asking for more information and he said that he won't share the guide but instead install it for you. Did anyone test the iso's he uploaded on that other guide? I saw that he modified a bit of the user account on the images.

    I don't like people like duc5e.
    Let him run through the streets like Eureka! Eureka!

  • www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • any tutorial bro?

  • ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016

    @hawkjohn7 said:

    any tutorial bro?

    Yes, its coming!

    I only finished building the initial "beta" template last night and installed it this morning. I will be building a few more templates and will then begin writing up an article.

    All in all, the process is basically the same as my other guides - www.whatuptime.com

    • Create your droplet
    • Open ticket asking for recovery ISO be mounted
    • Rebooted to recovery ISO
    • Install template with DD
    • Reply to ticket asking recovery ISO be removed
    • Reboot
    • Open Console & Log Into Windows
    • Manually Bind IP address
    • Login via RDP

    Our DC2 mirror has the beta folder and applicable templates...only 2012 R2 Eval for the moment, the rest will be coming.

    Thanked by 1hawkjohn7

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • @jarland is this ok in Digital Ocean?

  • jarjar Provider

    Hxxx said: is this ok in Digital Ocean?

    Let's see if this accurately conveys my feeling about it:

    I'm going to leave this Windows disc and console open for you. I'm going to go get a cup of coffee. Should take me about an hour. When I get back, I expect to not see any Windows.

    Thanked by 3GCat Hxxx Pwner
  • @jarland said:

    Hxxx said: is this ok in Digital Ocean?

    Let's see if this accurately conveys my feeling about it:

    I'm going to leave this Windows disc and console open for you. I'm going to go get a cup of coffee. Should take me about an hour. When I get back, I expect to not see any Windows.

    Lolx...

    If using Windows doesn't abuse cpu disk network ....

    Then a provider should not really have any troubles allowing that

    That being said ...you can always tells the user/client

    If something breaks you are responsible

    Just my point of view

  • jarjar Provider

    Plenty of things will break, just treat it like a plain old KVM and pretend that all of our features may fail to function properly with it beyond power off/on.

    With that said, there may be licensing implications that do not allow the host to simply say "not my concern." I don't know, not my area of expertise. Better for me to just say it's unsupported but what you do behind closed doors is not something I'm in a position to concern myself with :)

  • @jarland said:
    Plenty of things will break, just treat it like a plain old KVM and pretend that all of our features may fail to function properly with it beyond power off/on.

    With that said, there may be licensing implications that do not allow the host to simply say "not my concern." I don't know, not my area of expertise. Better for me to just say it's unsupported but what you do behind closed doors is not something I'm in a position to concern myself with :)
    @jarland said:
    Plenty of things will break, just treat it like a plain old KVM and pretend that all of our features may fail to function properly with it beyond power off/on.

    Yes... licensing might be in an issue

  • ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016

    DigitalOcean Guide - https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-onto-digitalocean-droplet/

    The guide is not finished by any means, however I published it early as it should now contain enough information for most people to complete the installation.

    A lot of people are asking me to hurry up :P

    Important Note: The templates provided in the guide are all considered "beta". We are still building and rebuilding often as to tweak drivers and changes processes to ensure a higher rate of success during installation.

    Additional templates will be added over the next couple of weeks (additional Microsoft Windows versions & distros).

    Enjoy!

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • jarjar Provider

    I feel like there's going to be some interesting support tickets today.

    Thanked by 2Francisco vimalware
  • NickNick Administrator, Provider

    jarland said: I feel like there's going to be some interesting support tickets today.

    I was thinking the same as I just read step 8 :P

    Thanked by 2jar Francisco
  • camjac251 said: I sent duc5e an email asking for more information and he said that he won't share the guide but instead install it for you.

    Yeah, that's suicide.

    I thought about it and removed his email. People can still PM him, but it's really stupid.

    "Please install an OS for me and I'll trust you are not leaving any backdoors or spamming software. If you do, well, it's my account and legal exposure so you're off the hook."

    @duc5e there is no reason your method has to be secret.

    My Advice: VPS Advice

    For LET support, please click here.

  • @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    I wouldn't bother with anything less than 768MB-1GB, Windows likes to idle around 512MB for the OS itself.

    Sorry for the necro, but my Windows PC (freshly installed) runs at ~2GB RAM idle :(

    Thanked by (0):

  • @doghouch said:

    @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    I wouldn't bother with anything less than 768MB-1GB, Windows likes to idle around 512MB for the OS itself.


    Sorry for the necro, but my Windows PC (freshly installed) runs at ~2GB RAM idle :(

    I would double-check, likely a lot of RAM is used as cache :)

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • @IHaveADarkPassenger said:

    @doghouch said:

    @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    I wouldn't bother with anything less than 768MB-1GB, Windows likes to idle around 512MB for the OS itself.


    Sorry for the necro, but my Windows PC (freshly installed) runs at ~2GB RAM idle :(

    I would double-check, likely a lot of RAM is used as cache :)

    IDC about cache tbh :P

    Thanked by (0):

  • Checking in to see if their is any initial feedback, suggestions, etc.

    Thanks!

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • jarjar Provider

    @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Checking in to see if their is any initial feedback, suggestions, etc.

    Thanks!

    I only recall one ticket that looked related last night, so there's that feedback ;)

  • @jarland said:

    @IHaveADarkPassenger said:
    Checking in to see if their is any initial feedback, suggestions, etc.

    Thanks!

    I only recall one ticket that looked related last night, so there's that feedback ;)

    Hopefully just asking for recovery iso :)

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • www.whatuptime.com is offline?

  • ddos to whatuptime i guess =)

  • ihadpihadp Member

    @javimuse said:
    www.whatuptime.com is offline?

    @56gomez said:
    ddos to whatuptime i guess =)

    Apologies had a bit of a hiccup, everything is back online!

    Thanked by 1lowcoupon

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • lowcouponlowcoupon Member
    edited July 2017

    can somebody help me ?
    thanks -ihadp
    cheers :)

  • ihadpihadp Member

    @lowcoupon said:
    can somebody help me ?
    thanks -ihadp
    cheers :)

    What is the issue....?

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • @ihadp said:

    @lowcoupon said:
    can somebody help me ?
    thanks -ihadp
    cheers :)

    What is the issue....?

    i'm on email ariefisme00 :)

  • jarjar Provider

    @lowcoupon said:

    @ihadp said:

    @lowcoupon said:
    can somebody help me ?
    thanks -ihadp
    cheers :)

    What is the issue....?

    i'm on email ariefisme00 :)

    Never heard of that email service.

  • ihadpihadp Member

    @lowcoupon said:

    @ihadp said:

    @lowcoupon said:
    can somebody help me ?
    thanks -ihadp
    cheers :)

    What is the issue....?

    i'm on email ariefisme00 :)

    I still have no idea what help you need.

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • https://quanlyvps.com/knowledge-base/how-to-install-windows-in-digitalocean/

    I will update tutorial and video.
    Working on DigitalOcean, OVH, Linode....

    Skype : ducapps

  • @duc5e said:
    https://quanlyvps.com/knowledge-base/how-to-install-windows-in-digitalocean/

    I will update tutorial and video.
    Working on DigitalOcean, OVH, Linode....

    You dont need to pump your thread to sell your shit images which can be downloaded freely all over the internet.

    [https://billing.virmach.com/aff.php?aff=2040&pid=127](Virmach affiliate link. E3-1270/32G RAM/ 13IPs /2T for $49 - COUPON SAVE20 for 20% discount).

  • duc5educ5e Member
    edited February 12

    @levnode said:

    @duc5e said:
    https://quanlyvps.com/knowledge-base/how-to-install-windows-in-digitalocean/

    I will update tutorial and video.
    Working on DigitalOcean, OVH, Linode....

    You dont need to pump your thread to sell your shit images which can be downloaded freely all over the internet.

    You can download on internet but files not working. Thank you !

    Skype : ducapps

  • @duc5e said:
    https://quanlyvps.com/knowledge-base/how-to-install-windows-in-digitalocean/

    I will update tutorial and video.
    Working on DigitalOcean, OVH, Linode....

    Fantastic guide if I say so myself, then again I fucking wrote it you piece of shit.

    You directly copied and pasted my guide from whatuptime.com and simply added your own images.

    Prick.

    Thanked by 2Aidan doghouch

    www.whatuptime.com

    Microsoft Windows Templates for Online.net, Kimsufi, DigitalOcean, OVH, Vultr & Much More!

  • WSSWSS Member

    @ihadp said:

    @duc5e said:
    https://quanlyvps.com/knowledge-base/how-to-install-windows-in-digitalocean/

    I will update tutorial and video.
    Working on DigitalOcean, OVH, Linode....

    Fantastic guide if I say so myself, then again I fucking wrote it you piece of shit.

    You directly copied and pasted my guide from whatuptime.com and simply added your own images.

    Prick.

    There's your two cents.

    Thanked by 1Jack

    I won't be back until @bsdguy is released.

Sign In or Register to comment.