Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows VPS on Digital Ocean
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows VPS on Digital Ocean

duc5educ5e Member
edited November 2016 in General

Hi !

During the past few weeks I found myself doing lots of work with Windows VMs. I finally started reading-up on the use of snapshots and took the time to figure out how to install the Windows VM on DigitalOcean !

Screenshots

Windows Thin Pc on Digitalocean

512 MB Memory / 20 GB Disk / SGP1

How to Install

(removed by mod)

Comments

• why not share on LET?

• Is that even allowed? @jarland

• It is easy to install Windows 7 on Digitalocean VPS. If you're using Debian Jessie, create a FAT32 or NTFS partition on your existing Linux VPS (app. 4 GB). Then copy your Windows 7 ISO contents to FAT32/NTFS partition. In the end, add this config to your /boot/grub/grub.cfg file:

menuentry "Windows" { insmod fat set root='(hd0,msdos5)' ntldr ($root)/bootmgr }

Change msdos5 part to your FAT32/NTFS partition number. (If it's dev/vda3, change to msdos3). Reboot your VPS and start installation by selecting Windows at Grub screen.

Note: Don't remove FAT32/NTFS partition during installation. After installation, you can remove it.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@TheOnlyDK said:
    Is that even allowed? @jarland

Bragging without posting the guide? I guess, but not cool :(

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Is that even allowed? @jarland

it's an grey area

• Sounds like a lot of wasted effort. On other vendors which offer Windows natively you can launch in minutes, no setup work needed. Yet it seems that there are much less vendors offering Windows than Linux. You can get Windows running in minutes on OVH and UpCloud (Which is billed by the hour). Of course Azure is there too, which could be considered the de facto provider for Windows.

Thanked by 1netomx

simonindia said: it's an grey area

I honestly don't care if anyone does this, but I guess I should note a few things that may fail:

1. Reset root password button (you'd think this is obvious, you'd be wrong)
    2. Snapshots (maybe, maybe not)
    3. Backups (likely)
    4. Migrations (may fail)
    5. Console (novnc seems to hate it)
    6. Block storage (maybe)

In short, I do not recommend using unsupported operating systems with DO because features are developed specifically with the offered OS choices in mind. Many are file system dependent.

Thanked by 2simonindia coreflux
  • DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

Not legal, I read Microsoft Agreement and only Windows Server series are allowed but in grey area you can do anything. (Not recommended)

I Agree with @jarland

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited October 2016

@DewlanceVPS said:
    Not legal, I read Microsoft Agreement and only Windows Server series are allowed but in grey area you can do anything. (Not recommended)

I Agree with @jarland

Cool Story Bro!

Thanked by 3GCat Mridul sayem314
  • It's very easy to do that, nothing to proud of.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited October 2016

DewlanceVPS said: Not legal

Do as you say, but don't copy what you do huh...

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

@Lee said:

Don't worry. I am not a bad person and don't want to violate any rule.

• @DewlanceVPS said:

@Lee said:

Don't worry. I am not a bad person and don't want to violate any rule.

Cool Story Bro!

• WHTWHT Member

Windows 7 with 512mb vps?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited October 2016

@WHT said:
    Windows 7 with 512mb vps?

It'll work... just sucks if you plan to use it for anything.

• I wouldn't bother with anything less than 768MB-1GB, Windows likes to idle around 512MB for the OS itself.

• It's Windows Embedded, so it's footprint is much smaller (as are is capabilities.)

• I sent duc5e an email asking for more information and he said that he won't share the guide but instead install it for you. Did anyone test the iso's he uploaded on that other guide? I saw that he modified a bit of the user account on the images.

• @camjac251 said:
    I sent duc5e an email asking for more information and he said that he won't share the guide but instead install it for you. Did anyone test the iso's he uploaded on that other guide? I saw that he modified a bit of the user account on the images.

I don't like people like duc5e.
    Let him run through the streets like Eureka! Eureka!

• any tutorial bro?

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016

@hawkjohn7 said:

any tutorial bro?

Yes, its coming!

I only finished building the initial "beta" template last night and installed it this morning. I will be building a few more templates and will then begin writing up an article.

All in all, the process is basically the same as my other guides - www.whatuptime.com

• Create your droplet
    • Open ticket asking for recovery ISO be mounted
    • Rebooted to recovery ISO
    • Install template with DD
    • Reply to ticket asking recovery ISO be removed
    • Reboot
    • Open Console & Log Into Windows
    • Manually Bind IP address
    • Login via RDP

Our DC2 mirror has the beta folder and applicable templates...only 2012 R2 Eval for the moment, the rest will be coming.

Thanked by 1hawkjohn7
  • @jarland is this ok in Digital Ocean?

Hxxx said: is this ok in Digital Ocean?

Let's see if this accurately conveys my feeling about it:

I'm going to leave this Windows disc and console open for you. I'm going to go get a cup of coffee. Should take me about an hour. When I get back, I expect to not see any Windows.

Thanked by 3GCat Hxxx Pwner
  • @jarland said:

Hxxx said: is this ok in Digital Ocean?

Let's see if this accurately conveys my feeling about it:

I'm going to leave this Windows disc and console open for you. I'm going to go get a cup of coffee. Should take me about an hour. When I get back, I expect to not see any Windows.

Lolx...

If using Windows doesn't abuse cpu disk network ....

Then a provider should not really have any troubles allowing that

That being said ...you can always tells the user/client

If something breaks you are responsible

Just my point of view

Plenty of things will break, just treat it like a plain old KVM and pretend that all of our features may fail to function properly with it beyond power off/on.

With that said, there may be licensing implications that do not allow the host to simply say "not my concern." I don't know, not my area of expertise. Better for me to just say it's unsupported but what you do behind closed doors is not something I'm in a position to concern myself with :)

• @jarland said:
    Plenty of things will break, just treat it like a plain old KVM and pretend that all of our features may fail to function properly with it beyond power off/on.

With that said, there may be licensing implications that do not allow the host to simply say "not my concern." I don't know, not my area of expertise. Better for me to just say it's unsupported but what you do behind closed doors is not something I'm in a position to concern myself with :)
    @jarland said:

Yes... licensing might be in an issue

• ihadpihadp Member
    edited November 2016

DigitalOcean Guide - https://www.whatuptime.com/installing-microsoft-windows-onto-digitalocean-droplet/

The guide is not finished by any means, however I published it early as it should now contain enough information for most people to complete the installation.

A lot of people are asking me to hurry up :P

Important Note: The templates provided in the guide are all considered "beta". We are still building and rebuilding often as to tweak drivers and changes processes to ensure a higher rate of success during installation.

Additional templates will be added over the next couple of weeks (additional Microsoft Windows versions & distros).

Enjoy!

I feel like there's going to be some interesting support tickets today.

Thanked by 2Francisco vimalware
  • NickNick Member, Patron Provider

jarland said: I feel like there's going to be some interesting support tickets today.

I was thinking the same as I just read step 8 :P

Thanked by 2jar Francisco