Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Passive income?
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Passive income?

RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited April 2013 in General

Anybody got tips for generating some passive income? Not looking for much, but maybe 50..100 a month?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Provider
      edited April 2013

Do a few tickets for a VPS company. :D

You're not really going to get something for nothing tbh.

• Publish a book, collect royalties. Or write some software, collect subscription fees.

-

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

Arent you in NL? There are surely some corners in Amsterdam where you can get "lucky" (or rather, not.) :p

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Top Provider

Or just get a blog running that gets a 1000+ visits p/day and slap some advert space on it.

Had enough of the scams on lowendbox, lowendtalk is now being infiltrated by corruption so I have chosen to make an low end exit #lexit for now - you can find me HERE

• flyfly Member

you should run a forum + blog, have other people pay for hosting and moderate, then go afk after putting up ads

• @fly said: you should run a forum + blog, have other people pay for hosting and moderate, then go afk after putting up ads

LOL :D

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• @fly said: you should run a forum + blog, have other people pay for hosting and moderate, then go afk after putting up ads

Brilliant!

Cheap VPS - VPSDime

• Do some Fiverr gigs.

vpsBoard.com - Now with over 450 members! A friendly community with active discussion. Come join us!

IRC.FREENODE.NET #vpsBoard - Drop by and say, 'Hello'.
    • joepie91joepie91 Member, Provider

As it seems most people in this thread don't know what 'passive income' is, it means a one-off effort that provides continuous income with little or no continuous effort invested into it.

A blog with ads would fit that description, selling software subscriptions would also fit it, doing odd jobs for people or companies would not.

• Make a useful program, ensure that there are no bugs, and don't allow anyone to contact you to suggest features.

• rds100rds100 Member
      edited April 2013

I have one more idea - deposit 100k EUR in bank account, collect interest.

edit: just don't choose a bank in Cyprus.

-

• flyfly Member

interest

rofl.

yeah, making a few hundred dollars a month is really worth putting that much money in the bank.

• @fly it's as passive as it gets ;-)

-

• JackJack Member, Provider

@rds100 said: just don't choose a bank in Cyprus.

Should we use one in greece then?

• @jack i believe the ones in Greece had no problem, it's the ones in Cyprus that burnt their customers.

-

• JackJack Member, Provider

@rds100 I thought Greece had economy issues too

@rds100 said: @jack i believe the ones in Greece had no problem, it's the ones in Cyprus that burnt their customers.

All is fine, nothing to see here, move along.

• @Jack yes, but basically the Germans (and other Eurozone members) paid many billions of Euros to bail them out.

-

• I don't know what bank you use, but interest on 100k EUR seems to be nothing now. In fact, one of the banks I use does not even give interest any more.

• @superpilesos for a year it's 4-5% which for 100k EUR is nothing, but on the other hand if you have 100k EUR and have no better idea...

-

@rds100 said: @superpilesos for a year it's 4-5% which for 100k EUR is nothing, but on the other hand if you have 100k EUR and have no better idea...

The real question is: why would someone with 100k EUR be looking for a passive income of a hundred euro a month?

• @joepie91 said: why would someone with 100k EUR be looking for a passive income of a hundred euro a month

To cover the expenses of his addiction to buying VPSes he doesn't need, without feeling guilty about it ;-)

-

• Step 1: Get a wife.
      Step 2:
      Step 3: Profit.

• @Sperryman said: Step 1: Get a wife.

Can a wife make a man a millionaire? Yes, if he was a billionaire when he met her ;-)

-

• @rds100 said: Yes, if he was a billionaire when he met her

Werd.

• @superpilesos said: In fact, one of the banks I use does not even give interest any more.

Bank of England has considered negative interest rates - you pay to keep your money in the bank.

It's not an entirely ridiculous idea - after all, you get security (vs. hiding it under your mattress), ability to use it online, etc.

For LET support, please visit the interim support desk.

• wdqwdq Member

You could setup a game server with "donation perks". As long as you have some friends who could help run most things it would be considered passive.

Otherwise I have used something called UserTesting to get some spare money in the past. Not really passive, but more just random jobs that you can do every once in a while.

• @raindog308 said: Bank of England has considered negative interest rates - you pay to keep your money in the bank.

In USA banks have monthly fees anyway , I think.

edited April 2013

@wdq said: donation perks

If you get perks, they are not donations. Just call it what it is - a subscription or fee.

EDIT: That, or 'contributions'.

• Idle money loafing in banks is not sane and it's no way to make passive income unless you have a massive heap of cash stored there... And... that was years ago. Now interest rates are practically zero.

Passive income is tricky and hard to come by without sitting on a pile of cash or exploiting labor to do your work for you.

Considering what Raymii is mostly known for around here, great tutorials, I recommend exploiting that niche. Part one would be by writing tutorials for pay. (yeah non passive). Probably a bunch of sites out there that might pay you something for new tutorials. Part two would be with Ray's own website where more tutorials are/should be found. Sell direct advertising or passive 3rd party network ads. Setup a "community" for folks interested in tutorials. Develop a mailing list. Accept "donations". Actively ask for said donations.

Use both pieces to increase more paid work and more interest.

So, create more, sell directly (tutorials), develop community of interest on own site, sell ads/sponsors or accept donations.

• flyfly Member

@wdq said: You could setup a game server with "donation perks". As long as you have some friends who could help run most things it would be considered passive.

that's hardly a passive income.

• fresher_06fresher_06 Member
      edited April 2013

Help some noobs to secure their VPS .. which they just have bought for some fun and have no clue how to secure that ..

• Newb services wouldn't be passive income.

Donations are passive, although random in nature and often hard to lure.

Advertising and product sales are the two most common passive methods.

• LeeLee Member

@raindog308 said: Bank of England has considered negative interest rates - you pay to keep your money in the bank.

It's not an entirely ridiculous idea - after all, you get security (vs. hiding it under your mattress), ability to use it online, etc.

If that means that they are not allowed to use it for lending purposes which is why they pay the interest in the first place then all good.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• @pubcrawler said: Donations are passive, although random in nature and often hard to lure.

Go with this one. Ask @joepie91 to teach him some tricks!

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
      We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
    • Make a scam HYIP... Then run..

"I Always Happy ! The Secret Is, When Something Bad Happens, I Always Yell : Eeee... Macarena !!" :D

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

invest in bonds or stocks

• Bonds and stocks are a sure way to LOSE money. Well at least in the last 6 years and certainly inflation adjusted against any "gains".

I agree with @concerto49. @joepie91 manages an interesting existence with alternative income. Think there is some newsworthiness in how he does it.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@pubcrawler said: Bonds and stocks are a sure way to LOSE money. Well at least in the last 6 years and certainly inflation adjusted against any "gains".

in US maybe its bad =)

• Websites are a great source of passive income, if you create a website that doesn't require constant updates.

Discord: robert#8239

• @rds100 said: for a year it's 4-5% which for 100k EUR is nothing, but on the other hand if you have 100k EUR and have no better idea...

Here in Sri Lanka annual interest in government banks for fixed deposits is about 13-14% private banks give up to 17%

• @Ruchirablog i guess you have a lot of inflation then.

-

• RuchirablogRuchirablog Member
      edited April 2013

@rds100 said: i guess you have a lot of inflation then.

Not much but hovers around 2-8% on any given year. But depositing 100k in a government bank is enough to make a nice living here. And you can trust the bank

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

@Ruchirablog said: And you can trust the bank

More or less... :D

• @William said: More or less... :D

Government protection ^_^

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Ruchirablog said: Here in Sri Lanka annual interest in government banks for fixed deposits is about 13-14% private banks give up to 17%

Wow, that is very nice! Warren Buffet might read this thread.

• @jcaleb said: invest in bonds or stocks

Bonds or stocks
      Bondage or stockings
      James Bond or Chicken Stock

Cheap VPS - VPSDime

• ztecztec Member
      edited April 2013

Create an information product which you can market by setting up an autoresponder on your newsletter. This gives me a decent set of wheels and roof with so much free time I pretty much get an identity crisis every 4 to 6 months.

You can spam me with any yearly shared hosting deal.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@ztec said: Create an information product which you can market by setting up an autoresponder on your newsletter. This gives me a decent set of wheels and roof with so much free time I pretty much get an identity crisis every 4 to 6 months.

Can you expound

• IntcsIntcs Member

I'd buy wikipedia, nearly 150 internal employees with probably the biggest donation collection potential for anything in the whole world. I'd send the "donation announcement" over users during the whole year instead of just once, also, increase employees with 10-15 more (healthy and powerful) men, hire a security guy, and hire a CEO. Then I'd retire and concentrate on charity and stuff, and just be the next Bill Gates =)

Please beware that his parents are now using the membership to post for their own, together with our precious son..