Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Passive income?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Passive income?

RaymiiRaymii Member
edited April 2013 in General

Anybody got tips for generating some passive income? Not looking for much, but maybe 50..100 a month?

Comments

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep
    edited April 2013

Do a few tickets for a VPS company. :D

You're not really going to get something for nothing tbh.

• Publish a book, collect royalties. Or write some software, collect subscription fees.

• Arent you in NL? There are surely some corners in Amsterdam where you can get "lucky" (or rather, not.) :p

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Or just get a blog running that gets a 1000+ visits p/day and slap some advert space on it.

• flyfly Member

you should run a forum + blog, have other people pay for hosting and moderate, then go afk after putting up ads

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@fly said: you should run a forum + blog, have other people pay for hosting and moderate, then go afk after putting up ads

LOL :D

• @fly said: you should run a forum + blog, have other people pay for hosting and moderate, then go afk after putting up ads

Brilliant!

• Do some Fiverr gigs.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

As it seems most people in this thread don't know what 'passive income' is, it means a one-off effort that provides continuous income with little or no continuous effort invested into it.

A blog with ads would fit that description, selling software subscriptions would also fit it, doing odd jobs for people or companies would not.

• Make a useful program, ensure that there are no bugs, and don't allow anyone to contact you to suggest features.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2013

I have one more idea - deposit 100k EUR in bank account, collect interest.

edit: just don't choose a bank in Cyprus.

• flyfly Member

interest

rofl.

yeah, making a few hundred dollars a month is really worth putting that much money in the bank.

• @fly it's as passive as it gets ;-)

• @jack i believe the ones in Greece had no problem, it's the ones in Cyprus that burnt their customers.

@rds100 said: @jack i believe the ones in Greece had no problem, it's the ones in Cyprus that burnt their customers.

All is fine, nothing to see here, move along.

• @Jack yes, but basically the Germans (and other Eurozone members) paid many billions of Euros to bail them out.

• I don't know what bank you use, but interest on 100k EUR seems to be nothing now. In fact, one of the banks I use does not even give interest any more.

• @superpilesos for a year it's 4-5% which for 100k EUR is nothing, but on the other hand if you have 100k EUR and have no better idea...

@rds100 said: @superpilesos for a year it's 4-5% which for 100k EUR is nothing, but on the other hand if you have 100k EUR and have no better idea...

The real question is: why would someone with 100k EUR be looking for a passive income of a hundred euro a month?

• @joepie91 said: why would someone with 100k EUR be looking for a passive income of a hundred euro a month

To cover the expenses of his addiction to buying VPSes he doesn't need, without feeling guilty about it ;-)

• SPSP Member

Step 1: Get a wife.
    Step 2:
    Step 3: Profit.

• @Sperryman said: Step 1: Get a wife.

Can a wife make a man a millionaire? Yes, if he was a billionaire when he met her ;-)

• SPSP Member

@rds100 said: Yes, if he was a billionaire when he met her

Werd.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@superpilesos said: In fact, one of the banks I use does not even give interest any more.

Bank of England has considered negative interest rates - you pay to keep your money in the bank.

It's not an entirely ridiculous idea - after all, you get security (vs. hiding it under your mattress), ability to use it online, etc.

• wdqwdq Member

You could setup a game server with "donation perks". As long as you have some friends who could help run most things it would be considered passive.

Otherwise I have used something called UserTesting to get some spare money in the past. Not really passive, but more just random jobs that you can do every once in a while.

• @raindog308 said: Bank of England has considered negative interest rates - you pay to keep your money in the bank.

In USA banks have monthly fees anyway , I think.

edited April 2013

@wdq said: donation perks

If you get perks, they are not donations. Just call it what it is - a subscription or fee.

EDIT: That, or 'contributions'.

• Idle money loafing in banks is not sane and it's no way to make passive income unless you have a massive heap of cash stored there... And... that was years ago. Now interest rates are practically zero.

Passive income is tricky and hard to come by without sitting on a pile of cash or exploiting labor to do your work for you.

Considering what Raymii is mostly known for around here, great tutorials, I recommend exploiting that niche. Part one would be by writing tutorials for pay. (yeah non passive). Probably a bunch of sites out there that might pay you something for new tutorials. Part two would be with Ray's own website where more tutorials are/should be found. Sell direct advertising or passive 3rd party network ads. Setup a "community" for folks interested in tutorials. Develop a mailing list. Accept "donations". Actively ask for said donations.

Use both pieces to increase more paid work and more interest.

So, create more, sell directly (tutorials), develop community of interest on own site, sell ads/sponsors or accept donations.

• flyfly Member

@wdq said: You could setup a game server with "donation perks". As long as you have some friends who could help run most things it would be considered passive.

that's hardly a passive income.

• fresher_06fresher_06 Member
    edited April 2013

Help some noobs to secure their VPS .. which they just have bought for some fun and have no clue how to secure that ..