Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Respun content on LowEndBox?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Respun content on LowEndBox?

joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

I already posted this in the comments for the article, but in case that gets overlooked...

I just saw a new article on LowEndBox - Enabling Encryption (SSL) on Apache and Nginx - and I noticed something odd. Aside from the questionable quality (SSL? It's been 'TLS' for a while now...), it occurred to me that the instructions in the article were really, really old.

The letsencrypt/letsencrypt repository it refers to hasn't existed for a while now, and has been renamed to certbot - but more importantly, certbot is now available out of the box in many distros, including Ubuntu 16.04. As a result, the instructions are very outdated and impractical.

I found this quite odd, so I tried to figure out why the content was so outdated, and I ran across this article in the DO tutorials, which has a suspicious number of things in common.

I don't know who wrote the LEB article (since it was posted by SysAdmin), but it certainly seems like respinning an outdated tutorial. Has the quality of LEB dropped so much that we're now getting respun content rather than original content? Is LEB staff aware of this?

Comments

• It's probably a bit of a rush job, part of this misguided belief that more simply posting more content is the answer to LEB's problems. Fuck quality.

If they wanted traffic, they should let @hawc interview me, that'd get the punters in.

Better still, let me progress one of the multitude of suggestions I made one of threads, I can guarantee significant traffic increases.

• DennisdeWitDennisdeWit Member
    edited September 2016

Probably a bad copywriter. "There is nothing wrong with using references" - Oliver Peck

But copywriting is not just putting sentences in a different order. I can know it. It's my job.

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • {Probably|Possibly|It's Possible|Definitely} a {Fiverr|outsourced} {job|article|duty|post}.

• Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

• Nekki said: If they wanted traffic, they should let @hawc interview me, that'd get the punters in.

I'd pay $7 for that

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We're seeking more content writers to contribute material. These are paid positions. It was discussed here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/89738/need-to-hire-content-writers#latest

If you are interested @joepie91 please let us know and we would be excited to get started with you. That applies to anyone who is interested in earning some money for writing content.

I'm going to point out what you said @joepie91 to the writer who put that piece together. Thanks for being observant.

Thanks guys

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@jbiloh said:
    We're seeking more content writers to contribute material. These are paid positions. It was discussed here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/89738/need-to-hire-content-writers#latest

If you are interested @joepie91 please let us know and we would be excited to get started with you. That applies to anyone who is interested in earning some money for writing content.

I'm going to point out what you said @joepie91 to the writer who put that piece together. Thanks for being observant.

Thanks guys

Not true. Tried to contact Alex for two weeks. Left messages in Skype and IRC. Was promptly ignored.

But, anyway interview @Nekki. It'll increase traffic.

Thanked by 2GCat Inglar

@MrGeneral, submit some content. If it's good we'll post it and pay you. Everyone is allowed.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@jbiloh said:
    @MrGeneral, submit some content. If it's good we'll post it and pay you. Everyone is allowed.

So you're not looking to hire people for positions as you stated previously. You're looking to get cheap labour. Who in their right mind give you their content with no guarantee of getting paid or even published?

• I'm waiting patiently to see @MrGeneral's content.

Thanked by 1MikePT

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

So you're not looking to hire people for positions as you stated previously. You're looking to get cheap labour. Who in their right mind give you their content with no guarantee of getting paid or even published?

If you're interested in getting involved let us know.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Nekki said: punters

I've always thought this was the oddest British slang.

Nekki said: Better still, let me progress one of the multitude of suggestions I made one of threads, I can guarantee significant traffic increases.

Dude, not with the killing hookers again...

Thanked by 2mycosys Inglar
  • @jbiloh said:

How to install a webserver on Debian/Ubuntu

apt-get install lighttpd

$7 please.

@jbiloh said:

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

If you can guarantee it will get published I will interview @Nekki. It'll defiantly bring traffic in to all those sweet sweet ads you've got.

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

If you can guarantee it will get published I will interview @Nekki. It'll defiantly bring traffic in to all those sweet sweet ads you've got.

If it's a real effort and it's not vulgar I look forward to reading it. :)

@jbiloh said:

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

That's the intention :) However I need an affirmative yes.

I don't want to cause you to spin your wheels and waste time. I am sure what you produce will be great. Can I give you a "yes" no matter what? Of course not.

Put something solid together and it'll get posted and you'll put some cash in your pocket.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • That actually sounds like a plan. I think I will actually look forward towards that interview.

Hey can we add questions for the interview?

@jbiloh said:
    I don't want to cause you to spin your wheels and waste time. I am sure what you produce will be great. Can I give you a "yes" no matter what? Of course not.

Put something solid together and it'll get posted and you'll put some cash in your pocket.

• Complementery.

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

@trewq said:

@jbiloh said:

That's the intention :) However I need an affirmative yes.

Thanked by 3trewq MikePT doghouch
  • To be fair, guys> @raindog308 said:

Nekki said: Better still, let me progress one of the multitude of suggestions I made one of threads, I can guarantee significant traffic increases.

to be fair hooker killers like Jack the ripper, the green river killer etc did sell one hell of a lot of ad space

• To be fair, guys> @raindog308 said:

to be fair hooker killers like Jack the ripper, the green river killer etc did sell one hell of a lot of ad space

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

jbiloh said: We're seeking more content writers to contribute material. These are paid positions. It was discussed here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/89738/need-to-hire-content-writers#latest

I only really do hourly-paid work and under an open-source license, so if that works for you... :)

Thanked by 2MikePT GCat

Will gladly send you a tutorial today to get some monies.

"How to install SSH with a single command"

Maybe that'll be worth a CVPS.

• i think we need to pay to interview Nekki

• jbiloh said: If it's a real effort and it's not vulgar I look forward to reading it. :)

Why would it be vulgar?

raindog308 said: I've always thought this was the oddest British slang.

Yeah, it doesn't make a lot of sense.

raindog308 said: Dude, not with the killing hookers again...

If you don't dispose of them correctly, it can be a headache for months to come. It's important people understand the correct steps for hooker disposal.

• Well spotted.

Hopefully no one got paid for that stellar effort.

• @jbiloh said:

You are awful.

Thanked by 2mycosys doghouch
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

impossiblystupid said: You are awful.

I mean as long as it's stated up front. No one has to take him up on it. As long as you're up front and honest about it, totally up to someone else if it looks like something worth their time. If not, no harm no foul.

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited September 2016

Nekki said: It's probably a bit of a rush job, part of this misguided belief that more simply posting more content is the answer to LEB's problems. Fuck quality.

This is indeed the modus operandi, I'm afraid. Some of the tutorials are plagiarized. This has been highlighted before and I've also let @jbiloh know when I was still running these sites.

I'm sad to see this still happening. It's just so unnecessary and it's easy to prevent.

As a side node: the styling is quite bad on the mentioned post. It's exactly how it arrived in a Word document. It takes like 10 minutes to fix that.

This discussion has been closed.