Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 6.8 (64bit) and CentOS 7.2 (64bit) will not work with FTP/Virtualmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 6.8 (64bit) and CentOS 7.2 (64bit) will not work with FTP/Virtualmin

myhkenmyhken Member

Had some strange issues last days, and I can't seem to find the solution.
I have always used CentOS and Virtualmin/Webmin and have lots of servers running with that setup.

The first issue started with CentOS 7.2. I just yum update, then installed virtualmin from this guide: (Guide ) Everything seems OK, but the PRO FTP server will not run, just getting error messages.

I have seen the same issue some time ago, then it was something with the hostname and actual IP. But this time hostname have the correct IP.

OK, I then installed virtualmin on a new/clean server with CentOS 6.8, and the same issue happened there. ProFTP will not start. Every other service is OK.

Someones that know what I'm is missing here?

Comments

• myhken said: the PRO FTP server will not run, just getting error messages.

I am turning on my phone and just getting error messages.

Somes that know what I'm missing here?

• myhkenmyhken Member

It's only on the CentOS 7.2 I get error messages, but I don't have a 7.2 installation just now. On CentOS 6.8 ProFTP will just not start.
    The 7.2 server is a Online.net dedicated the 6.8 is a Kimsufi dedicated. Tried two Kimsufi servers, but the same error.

Port 21 is not blocked, for it working fine on Windows Server on the same machines.

• I have CentOS 6.8 running proftp on a Digital Ocean droplet without issue. It would be helpful if you posted the error message from /var/log/proftpd or /var/log/messages.

• I've encountered the same issue. You have to manually un-install proftpd and install it again and it will work.

Thanked by 1myhken
  • ElnarRElnarR Member

Agree with chasewalsh. I had the same problem and reinstalling of proFTPd resolved it.

• myhkenmyhken Member

I tried to remove, then reinstall ProFTP on CentOS 7.2, but that did not help.
    I got ProFTP to work on CentOS 6.8, it's seems like maybe one of my dedicated servers from Kimusfi has a block on port 21 or something (strange since it work with Windows Server). But on the second server I tried it worked without any issue.