Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rage4 discontinues all prometeus/iwstack accounts
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

rage4 discontinues all prometeus/iwstack accounts

Pretty interesting:

Hello Trevor,

You are receiving this e-mail because you have an active Rage4 DNS subscription.

On September 1st Rage4, our partner for the Anycast DNS service, will be disconintuing their partner program. You will then be contacted by them regarding if you wish to continue using Rage4's platform under their new standard billing system.

As a result, we will be introducing our own standard DNS system in the billing area to replace this for clients who do not wish to be moved to Rage4's standard billing but still would like DNS hosting. This service will be hosted on our own DNS servers, across our various PoP's, albeit without Anycast. We can assist you to copy your zones over from Rage4 using their API.

We are checking all the active accounts using Rage4 API and

• If your account return 0 zones then we are removing the account from our system. If you need DNS hosting right now, please use the "Manage DNS" function under the Domains menu from the client area (please open a ticket if you need further assistance)

• If Rage4 API return one or more zones then you can choose one of the following options:

1) Move your account to Rage4's platform (your Rage4 zones will stay intact).

This will mean your Rage4 account will no longer be billed with us, and you will no longer recieve the discounted price. You will be contacted by Rage4, and you will need to let them know your choice.

2) Transfer your zones over to our DNS service and continue billing as normal.

You will need to let Rage4 know that you wish to terminate your service with them, and we will have your zones transfered over to our DNS system for you. Your Rage4 account will continue functioning as normal until September 1st, once you let us know your choice we will copy your zones over and you can begin using our DNS system, this will of course mean you need to update the DNS at your domain's registrar.

3) Terminate your account with Rage4 and do not transfer your zones to our DNS platform.

If you wish to transfer your zones over to our own platform, please let us know in a support ticket before the September 1st deadline and we will copy your zones over and send you the required details. If you'd like to terminate your account you can do so simply in the clients area under the cancellation request option.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.

Prometeus Support Team

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Fuck, and I got a Partner account....

Thanked by 1GCat
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

To add to this:

prometeus themselves will not support services like GeoDNS or failover, just simple DNS.

Looking for an alternative now.

• Right now I'm at ~3 million queries at rage4, so probably less than a million with any other DNS provider.

• I have 12 failovers set up

• I have 12 geodns records

What would be the cheapest alternative?

• @tr1cky said:
    To add to this:

prometeus themselves will not support services like GeoDNS or failover, just simple DNS.

Looking for an alternative now.

• Right now I'm at ~3 million queries at rage4, so probably less than a million with any other DNS provider.

• I have 12 failovers set up

• I have 12 geodns records

What would be the cheapest alternative?

I've mentioned Zilore (still free?) multiple times before. GeoDNS + Fallover and whatever stuff. Anycast. Go check them out!

Thanked by 3asf yomero aglodek
  • dnsmadeeasy.com

I have been using them for around 7 years.
    Easily the most robust and the fastest (top 3) Anycast DNS around.

Pricing is around $30 a year.

Thanked by 2danninov KuJoe
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

globalRegisters said: I have been using them for around 7 years.

Pricing for my usage would be more like 750$/y since I would have to add their Global Traffic Director service which would cost 660$/domain.

• @tr1cky said:

Pricing for my usage would be more like 750$/y since I would have to add their Global Traffic Director service which would cost 660$/domain.

Ouch!

• Fuck it. I've just implemented the rage4 API with my automatic DNS failover application.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Feel free to contact us (or PM me here) and we will figure something out. New pricing will be published on our blog tomorrow.

Thanked by 1aglodek
  • @tr1cky said:

Have you checked dnsmadeeasy?

Thanked by 1yomero
  • /me waiting with popcorn

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • zafouharzafouhar Veteran
    edited July 2016

@Ishaq @Amitz @Jarland can someone please merge this thread with the other thread? debian thx

Edit: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/87344/thanks-prometeus-rage4-not#latest

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

cloudflare, rackspace, dnsmadeeasy, zilore... plenty of options

• How about if one uses DNSSEC? Love those SSHFP records...

prometous still on home page of rage4 lol

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

shovenose said: prometous still on home page of rage4 lol

Well, it will end in august, so...

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@shovenose said:

Please re-read OP's requirements. It's not about just posting random similar staff, is it ?

@Clouvider said:

@shovenose said:

Please re-read OP's requirements. It's not about just posting random similar staff, is it ?

Sorry totally missed that!

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider

Those who can shell out little money,I will recommend dnsmadeeasy,I am customer of more than 3 years,no complaints so far.

• Their new pricing strategy has been published:
    https://blog.rage4.com/blog/new-pricing-plans

Not too bad, however for my use case (DNS Failover with low TTL (<60)) I'd need the 50€ package. Definitely too expensive for me.

• 13 records or 13 zones. If 13 records, then it is very expensive. 13 zones still all right.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

And off to zilore I go. Would have to pay 50€/m on their new pricing.

Thanked by 2asf Tom
  • @smile93 said:
    13 records or 13 zones. If 13 records, then it is very expensive. 13 zones still all right.

I really hope it's not 13 records...

• Time to run your own DNS server! A couple of BuyVM yearly boxes with anycast and a VPS from another provider and you are set.

Thanked by 2Maounique Francisco
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@linuxthefish said:
    Time to run your own DNS server! A couple of BuyVM yearly boxes with anycast and a VPS from another provider and you are set.

Problems start when you try to latency optimise the Anycast network. Easy for simple failover, but when it comes to optimising that, the time you'll likely spend will cost you dearly, more than Rage4 subscription.

Thanked by 2vimalware Rolter
  • @Shigawire said:

@smile93 said:
    13 records or 13 zones. If 13 records, then it is very expensive. 13 zones still all right.

I really hope it's not 13 records...

Unfortunately, I'm sure they know the difference between zones and records.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

linuxthefish said: with anycast

Clouvider said: will cost you dearly, more than Rage4 subscription

I can't help but feel you're vastly overdoing it (or thinking that you need to). Face it, you probably don't run a million dollar per day corporation, you don't need any ultra-optimized failover anycast, your site will be more than fine with just a couple of regular VPSes running nameservers at two different and good-reputation providers.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2016

@Clouvider said:

@linuxthefish said:
    Time to run your own DNS server! A couple of BuyVM yearly boxes with anycast and a VPS from another provider and you are set.

Problems start when you try to latency optimise the Anycast network. Easy for simple failover, but when it comes to optimising that, the time you'll likely spend will cost you dearly, more than Rage4 subscription.

Heck, I'm still running forward and reverse DNS on a 10 euro a year VPS in Spain with over 200 zones!

• @linuxthefish said:

@Clouvider said:

@linuxthefish said:

Heck, I'm still running forward and reverse DNS on a 10 euro a year VPS in Spain with over 200 zones!

Hello, is this in SolusVM?

• deepreflect said: Hello, is this in SolusVM?

Yeah that's what I use for the DNS in dedistation SolusVM. If you wanted to run this yourself you can get a SolusVM master license for $2.45 or use something like http://www.poweradmin.org

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran