Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thanks Prometeus/Rage4.. NOT
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thanks Prometeus/Rage4.. NOT

Not sure if that's Prometeus or Rage4's doing but looks like my account was terminated, possibly because I don't use Iwstack any more.

Whilst they have every right to kill the rage4 account they should have at least contacted me before hand to warn me or ask if I wanted to move to a paid plan

First I know of it is when domains stop resolving.

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

It's not free for them? They have to pay for your queries.

• It's not that they stopped the account that I have a problem with it's the lack of any warning.

You'd think the system would send out a this product is expiring soon or some such and then either given the option to move onto a paid account or let it lapse.

• DamianDamian Member

Didja contact them to see if that was indeed the case and/or if your data is available on a paid plan?

Didja didja didja didja didja?

Or was it right to the forums for complaining?

Thanked by 1jar
  • @dragon2611 said:
    It's not that they stopped the account that I have a problem with it's the lack of any warning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, you have no active paid services with them and you are surprised/whining that they eventually shut off DNS which you've neglected to move somewhere else?

Thanked by 2Nekki netomx
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

dragon2611 said: It's not that they stopped the account that I have a problem with it's the lack of any warning.

Why would you expect it continue?

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Gonna go ahead and set up a chair in this thread. Don't mind me. Continue.

• @jarland said:
    Gonna go ahead and set up a chair in this thread. Don't mind me. Continue.

Should we call @ChairHosting?

Oh wait, I've just done it.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

jarland said: Gonna go ahead and set up a chair in this thread.

Based on past experience, I expect him to sit this one out.

• @Nekki said:

dragon2611 said: It's not that they stopped the account that I have a problem with it's the lack of any warning.

Why would you expect it continue?

I didn't but most automated systems will send a warning X days before renewal is due, this didn't and because it was set to a free tier it didn't even send an invoice as far as I've seen.

Had it done either I'd have then been able to decide if I wanted to pay for it or remove the last couple domains that were still on it

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

dragon2611 said: I didn't but most automated systems will send a warning X days before renewal is due, this didn't and because it was set to a free tier it didn't even send an invoice as far as I've seen.

I receive invoices for my prometeus rage4 account:

• That's weird, Wonder why I didn't get one unless I did and it got spammed (In which case I'd owe them an apology) but their other emails are coming though and I certainly can't find anything in the spam filter logs.

Also it's not even the end of the 1yr yet as it would have been due on the 17/7/2016

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

Don't rely on other people for your DNS, doubly so when it's "for free".

Thanked by 1J1021
  • camargcamarg Member

That's strange. I just found my free rage4dns account from prometeus terminated as well and I haven't terminated my prometeus services.

• IshaqIshaq Member

Looks like Prometeus made a mistake as they were only supposed to terminate accounts with 0 zones.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

/me coughs and calls @William andd @gbshouse over.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

That's jogged my memory, not long ago didn't Rage4 imply that these sorts of accounts were going to be pulled?

• camargcamarg Member

rds100 said: Related?

Yes, it would be nice if I got the newsletter before my account got terminated

Ishaq said: Looks like Prometeus made a mistake as they were only supposed to terminate accounts with 0 zones.

I'm hosting my dns elsewhere, I had zero zones on my rage4dns account

• IshaqIshaq Member

@camarg said: I'm hosting my dns elsewhere, I had zero zones on my rage4dns account

Then it wouldn't have affected you anyway, what's the problem?

People who currently have zones will have to move to Rage4 direct or use Prometeus' own DNS system by September this year.

• rds100rds100 Member

camarg said: I'm hosting my dns elsewhere, I had zero zones on my rage4dns account

I wouldn't be too upset for having my DNS account which i am not using terminated.
    Now if you had active zones hosted there, and the account got terminated without warning and this caused you loss of service - you would have a reason to be upset. But this is not the case.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

See topic mentioned by @Nekki. We will publish new plan structure on our blog tomorrow. Please note that we cannot take any responsibility for Prometeus' actions.

@dragon2611 - if you are the person which I think you are your issue has been solved already

• AmitzAmitz Member

gbshouse said: Please note that we cannot take any responsibility for Prometeus' actions.

That sounds as if you had nothing to do with it... What other choice did they have, if I may ask?

@Amitz - I meant that they are in control of all the accounts registered by them and it's their decision what to do with them.

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • For what it's worth, I'm in the exact same situation. I had a complimentary account with Prometeus/Rage4 that was supposed to be a replacement for their old DNS system. They terminated the account without warning and all DNS queries started to fail this morning.

I'm not sure if it was accidental or intentional but Prometeus really messed up when they suddenly deleted active DNS accounts without any warning whatsoever. :(

In such case just let us know and we will try to help you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

It was a mistake due to apis returning no data, for all accounts.
    We run an automated query to check for unused accounts to terminate before notifying people (to avoid too much spam) but it seemed some legit accounts got terminated due to the API being at fault. When we noticed we stopped the query, however, some 100 accounts got terminated. We are very sorry for those terminated by mistake (albeit some were really unused).
    We had another partner before for this which went MIA, now this, so the next solution will be our own, or maybe based on route53 or something, we are still thinking about it

A basic replacement is already in: https://www.prometeus.net/billing/index.php?m=DNSManager2. It uses our PoPs in EU for now.

We will probably expand the features in the future.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well its its a free add-on, add-on being the word, you had fair warning the day you purchased it.

I don't see anything wrong here, really not worth a foot stamp over.

Thanked by 2Maounique cassa
  • @gbshouse said:
    @dragon2611 - if you are the person which I think you are your issue has been solved already

I moved the last few zones I cared about elsewhere