Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lightweight alternative to OwnCloud for file management and sharing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Lightweight alternative to OwnCloud for file management and sharing

ChronicChronic Member

I've been using OwnCloud to browse through the files on my server, download them with the browser when I want them and share them with a friend. I notice it getting slower and slower these days when more and more files are added.

Is there any lightweight alternative I could use instead? I only need to be able to browse the files, download them, and share them with a friend by generating a download link. The files should not be publicly viewable by default so I can't just list them in a directory with Nginx or something of the sort. No syncing or other fancy features needed, but I don't mind them if I can just ignore them and they won't slow everything down.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated, thank you!

Comments

• PandyPandy Member

Im sure Pydio will get suggested

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • Pandy said: Im sure Pydio will get suggested

Any idea how it handles a large number of files in a single folder?

• BradBrad Member

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/85572/what-open-source-cloud-storage-can-you-recommend-for-personal-use

Seafile and Pydio seem to always come up whenever these type of threads pop up. Minio could also be an option.

Thanked by 2seikan Chronic
  • seikanseikan Member

@Brad said:
    Minio could also be an option.

This looks cool, thanks!

• ChronicChronic Member
    edited June 2016

Brad said: Seafile and Pydio seem to always come up whenever these type of threads pop up. Minio could also be an option.

From what I've learned, Seafile is fairly resource hungry, which would be far from ideal. I haven't tried Pydio yet but I most certainly will, thank you. Minio also looks interesting, thought it might not be exactly what I'm looking for in this case.

• @Chronic said:
    I notice it getting slower and slower these days when more and more files are added.

Depending on how large you're letting a directory get (hundreds? thousands?), that's going to be true of just about any solution that tries to list all the files available. Turn on autoindex to see how quickly it renders; just about everything more fancy than that is going to be slower.

The files should not be publicly viewable by default so I can't just list them in a directory with Nginx or something of the sort.

Why not? Restricting access using HTTP basic authentication or other techniques will keep them hidden from the general public. If the intent really is just to transfer static files, any basic web server should be up to that task.

Thanked by 1Chronic
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

You might want to keep an eye on 'Nextcloud' which is a fork of Owncloud.
    I've heard that optimizing the memory footprint and performance are one of the things 'Nextcloud' take care of. I'm curious if they are going achieve that goal :-)

Thanked by 1Chronic