Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What open source cloud storage can you recommend (for personal use)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What open source cloud storage can you recommend (for personal use)?

Heya,
So I still have a biannualy Storage Server with Time4VPS and want to install some kind of secure storage solution on it.

I will store personal photos, other media and important documents there so I would prefer some sort of encrypted solution.

So far I have considered ownCloud, Syncthing and StackSync.. Any feedback on those? Any other ideas?

Comments

• PandyPandy Member

idk about any of these, but Seafile is another one ive heard mentioned

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@Pandy said:
    idk about any of these, but Seafile is another one ive heard mentioned

Hmm... will have a look :)

• I use Pydio on my Kimsufi, for managing files on my Amazon Cloud Drive (that's mounted via FUSE)

Thanked by 2Ympker deadbeef
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@theroyalstudent said:
    I use Pydio on my Kimsufi, for managing files on my Amazon Cloud Drive (that's mounted via FUSE)

Looks interesting :)

• cassacassa Member

I've started using this for S3 testing, but it has a web interface as well: https://minio.io/

• souensouen Member

+1 for Seafile

There's also Syncany (in alpha so take usual precautions with experimental software). If you don't need cross-platform clients, something basic like encrypted tar archives and rsync them is possible.

• Nexcloud is a fork of owncloud, some of the devs of owncloud broke off and created this. They just released the first release a few hours ago.

Thanked by 2Ympker yomero
  • @cassa said:
    I've started using this for S3 testing, but it has a web interface as well: https://minio.io/

yeah i've been playing with it too and it's the shit, exactly what i've been waiting for

Thanked by 1deadbeef
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@CFarence said:
    Nexcloud is a fork of owncloud, some of the devs of owncloud broke off and created this. They just released the first release a few hours ago.

Whats the difference between own and nex? What did they promise this time? :P

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

minio looks neat but I had a laugh about this:

"Go is an emerging language of choice for modern cloud infrastructure projects."

I have nothing against Go but calling it the "emerging language of choice for modern cloud" is a bit much.

Thanked by 1cassa
  • tommytommy Member

Not enough i/o to run owncloud on time4vps, it's really slow, run your 'cloud' somewhere

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@tommy said:
    Not enough i/o to run owncloud on time4vps, it's really slow, run your 'cloud' somewhere

Report that. I got some clients that run ownCloud just fine @time4vps

Disclaimer: I resell their VPS, providing additional support / managed services.

• tommytommy Member

On their storage plan? Even for 1 user my owncloud dying.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

@tommy said:

We apologize if you have some kind of issues. Please submit a ticket and our support team will try their best to help you to resolve any issues regarding our servers.

Our experience shows that ownCloud works just fine on our storage servers. We have ownCloud's template, so you don't even need to worry about manually installing it. It's done only with few clicks.

• raynorraynor Member
    edited June 2016

https://owncloud.org/ or https://nextcloud.com/ (new fork by core developers)
    Using it with LMS site now on $20 dedicated server, run smoothly. Some personal usage too, but Dropbox 15Gb mostly (OHDH yes).

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • tommytommy Member

time4vps said: We apologize if you have some kind of issues. Please submit a ticket and our support team will try their best to help you to resolve any issues regarding our servers.

No need :) I still love the server for backup. I might try owncloud there in future.

• BochiBochi Member

@tommy said:

Hm, pretty hard to imagine actually.
    I am currently backing up my storage there to ACD using duplicity and got no problems at all!
    Encryption and asynchronous upload eats quite some resources, but everything works smothly - my only concern is, if the current load is still within the intended one...

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Personally I have once tested owncloud on my storage server with @time4vps and never had any problems for the period I was testing it (1 month). That being said you guys have named various interesting alternatives so I might check some out :P

• https://cryptomator.org/

It's not a solution in itself but could be used to encrypt the data before being stored by syncthing.etc

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I've been using Seafile on a Time4VPS instance for a while now and it runs really well.
    I haven't tried OwnCloud myself, but I read many reviews saying Seafile performs better and uses less resources than OC, especially when dealing with a high number of files.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

I've always used Owncloud myself. Worked great in my opinion as long you made the right tweaks server side. Unfortunately they recently broke up.
    Nextcloud is a fork of Owncloud. Going to test their first release shortly, and I hope it will be a good (if not better) alternative to Owncloud :-)

• @HuangLee said:
    I've been using Seafile on a Time4VPS instance for a while now and it runs really well.

Does it work on 512MB instance or only the 2GB?

• souensouen Member

@vimalware said:
    Does it work on 512MB instance or only the 2GB?

Depending on the number of users, it'll be enough on a regular vps. Sits under 200 MB with 2 concurrent users (team of 4 people using it).

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I've been using Seafile on an Aruba 1€ instance for a while now and it runs really well. Seafile performs better and uses less resources than OC, especially when dealing with a high number of files. The 'pro' version is free for 3 users too.

Am currently considering Backblaze https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage.html

Also recently launched is Open365.io which gives you 20GB (beta) free storage and uses a modified Seafile client. This is being promoted as a FREE and Open version of Office365 and has Libre Office and dedicated Android apps.

Thanked by 2raynor souen
  • ardaarda Member

I've been using Owncloud 9 for months along with nginx, PHP7, MariaDB and Redis (sock), and Let's Encrypt for SSL. All are from PPA at ubuntu. It is running just fine.

Thanked by 2raynor Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@arda said:
    I've been using Owncloud 9 for months along with nginx, PHP7, MariaDB and Redis (sock), and Let's Encrypt for SSL. All are from PPA at ubuntu. It is running just fine.

As far as I know owncloud encryption isn't encrypting the whole thing as interception by sysadmin may be possible whereas it is not when using seafile or other which use an encryption type that also wouldn't grant a sysadmin access to the files (or rather lets him read them). When using a mere vps for private documents, cc copies etc, a full encryption should be ensured.

• ardaarda Member

@Ympker said:

@arda said:

As far as I know owncloud encryption isn't encrypting the whole thing as interception by sysadmin may be possible whereas it is not when using seafile or other which use an encryption type that also wouldn't grant a sysadmin access to the files (or rather lets him read them). When using a mere vps for private documents, cc copies etc, a full encryption should be ensured.

In default encryption module , the decription key is also stored at owncloud servers, so it's possible for a sysadmin to decrypt and check without you're even aware.

To be honest, for critical files, I .7z and password protect them since they aren't much and I'd like to have my spare space (encrypted files become quite bigger, almost x1.5 in owncloud on my case with default encyrpytion).

Your best shot with owncloud for full encryption is either to manually crypt + sync, or use an encrtpyted partition (such as encryptfs) for owncloud (never tried to be honest)

Never tried Seafile, but I'd try that on your case then.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Honestly, ownCloud is utter shit and dangerous to use for anything important.

Not sure about the alternatives, BTSync was ok but not exactly the same.

• tommytommy Member

@Ympker said:

@arda said:

If admin enable the enryption but disable master key for recovery, then no one can restore your file(s).

Thanked by 2Ympker arda
  • Seafile the best you can do, it has strong client side encryption on iOS and Android too. What more can you expect?