Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rackspace collectors
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rackspace collectors

jvnadrjvnadr Member
edited May 2016 in General

So, I tried last year the offer of one year of free services of rackspace. I just wanted to try their cloud to compare it with several much cheaper hosting providers. I did some tests for a month and then, abandoned the ship (didn't have any online services with them). It wasn't anything extremely special, in terms of performance, compared to much cheaper options (e.g. I did have a really better benchmark in a same specs DO instance or a prometeus instance).
Have to mention that I did not leave any online vps, as I normally switch off any unused vps I own for security purposes.
Today I received a letter from some "Luis Pagan" from "abc-amega.com" claiming I owe $146.20 to Rackspace and he is a collector Rackspace hired him to collect this debt from me! I search a little to my mail account and find out that last month, I received in the spam folder a few "final notices" about deactivating Rackspace's services because of non-payment. I usually do have a look in headers in my spam folder if I missed something and probably I didn't read those emails, as I don't open several rackspace's advertising email. They do send a lot of them every now and then...
I searched a little and didn't find any monthly statement about any service proofing that I had a paid or any service on with them and the account in Rackspace is now closed, so I can't even login to see any history there.
This is a poor behavior of a big company, to run a promo and then, after a year of inactive services, try to earn and collect money from those clients. Are they too desperate and feel the competition from newer and better valued for money services, trying to gain profits from that? Pitty...

Thanked by 2support123 NanoG6

Comments

• BradNDBradND Member

Time to pay. You should of cancelled and read the terms of service.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Hmm, I also apparently owe 500 euro to OVH.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

BradND said: Time to pay. You should of cancelled and read the terms of service.

Punish me!

Indeed, I should have read the terms of service. Oh... wait: I read them! It was a cloud service and you create instances! And the only instance I created was deleted after a month and was in the free credits!
    Anyway, I maybe am wrong here but a cloud service with credits, should not be demanding 30 days (!) prior notice.

• rds100rds100 Member

I doubt this do called collector can do anything to you in Greece, so you shouldn't worry too much about this.

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Follow only local country laws. If provider outside your country you can skip it easy. They nothing to do. But this rule not applied to EU members.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Call them or go to their LiveChat. I'm pretty sure you won't find help in LET regarding this.

Disclaimer: I helped them developing a Cloud VPS solution (custom panel) they had years ago, in 2010-2011, they're great people. I'm still their client for their email services, and have been for years (around 6?). Go to their LiveChat, they'll investigate it, I highly doubt they'd bill you in error.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2016

jvnadr said: This is a poor behavior of a big company

You signed up
    You received emails about it
    You failed to cancel as per terms
    You did not contact them to discuss before running here

See the pattern? No, it's called You!

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2016

Real honest company must suspend when going to zero or small negative If ID on their file user has a bad time.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@fitvpn said:
    Follow only local country laws. If provider outside your country you can skip it easy. They nothing to do. But this rule not applied to EU members.

Law doesn't work that way. Likely the jurisdiction was agreed between parties in the contract.

• jvnadrjvnadr Member

Lee said: You failed to cancel as per terms

To cancel, what? I did not have any live cloud vps in their CLOUD system and I don't have access to my account to prove that.
    Also, I already asked my lawyer to send an answer with legal arguments of me about what happened, but this is private and was not the purpose of this thread.

Lee said: You did not contact them to discuss before running here

This thread was not for asking help about a provider, just to say that this is a poor behavior from a big provider. Most of LET providers and many of those are not in LTE category, are dealing with customers and potential customers in a completely different way. I am not whining about this case, after all, 100$ isn't something I will commit suicide if I lost it. I just think that big companies are hiding back of the small letters of an AUP or TOS (have to mention that anywere in Rackspace's first page is there a link to AUP, it is hidden between links, and TOS in cloud is much more hidden from AUP) with ridicoulus demands of giving a month of notice to cancel A CLOUD VPS INSTANCE!!!
    This practice, when thinking also the technological evolvment nowdays (costs of an instance, automatic provisions, client's handling costs etc., much much much lower than in early '00), is something that my personal opinion is beyond what a big company should follow.

Clouvider said: Law doesn't work that way. Likely the jurisdiction was agreed between parties in the contract.

A contract is not the ten commitments. If a contract has "unfair terms" a jury can cancel it. This is something that has happened in EU and US millions of times in areas like, for example, banking contracts.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't know what their product is, honestly. With that said, I think maybe you didn't either. It sounds like the paid product is not in fact the individual VPS. Perhaps it is an allocation of resources that you can assign?

Either way I'm sure they'll be happy to hear feedback on where it was maybe unclear on signup. I doubt that they are over there working on this evil plan to slowly screw you over with confusion to extract a whopping $150.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@fitvpn said:
    Real honest company must suspend when going to zero or small negative If ID on their file user has a bad time.

That's not the way these companies work. Rackspace typically work with businesses where it's perfectly natural to bill in arrears rather than in advance (where you pay for what you've received/used, not for what you anticipate receiving).

• awvnxawvnx Member
    edited May 2016

Did you just turn off your VPS or did you delete the instance? Some will bill you even if they're powered off since you're still using their disk resources and they need to keep the CPU/RAM allocated if they don't dynamically switch you around on different nodes.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • LeeLee Veteran
    edited May 2016

jvnadr said: just to say that this is a poor behavior from a big provider

I have not seen any evidence of poor behaviour, just your opinion on it.

jvnadr said: I just think that big companies are hiding back of the small letters of an AUP or TOS (have to mention that anywere in Rackspace's first page is there a link to AUP, it is hidden between links, and TOS in cloud is much more hidden from AUP)

They don't need to display their AUP/ToS on the front page, they just need to provide proof you agreed to them when signing up for the service and provided a link for you to do so.

jvnadr said: with ridicoulus demands of giving a month of notice to cancel A CLOUD VPS INSTANCE!!!

Sounds like you have read them now and found out why you owe them money.

Not having a go at you per se however all I see is yet another "I signed up for a service, never read the terms (or maybe you did) and now I am mad and want to shame them because I never thought they would actually bother that I walked away without a word to them".

When you deal with a big company like Rack Space offering a freebie you are smart enough to know there will be a requirement to cancel it or you are auto enrolled into a paid service. Whether you used it or not they still provided it for your use until removing for non-payment.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

Actually most debt collectors buy the debt from the companies and then tag on extra charges of their's and make that of 60 dollars owed jump up because of their fee's. Just explaining a common scenario (it could be different)

Edit: spelling

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

PieNotEvenEaten said: Actually most debt collectors buy the debt from the companies

Guess countries not related to each other never sell or buy information, exactly if don't know who are you

• Like most things, and although not strictly moral (who is LET to judge), you can just ignore it and nothing will happen.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

You already know what you should have done so I wont be the 20'th person to remind you, if you want them to go away I would bet this will work:

1) Just ask them for a copy of all information they hold for you on file by recorded post within 28 days for your review including details of the material loss they feel they have suffered.

2) If you get this (which I doubt you will) and it is not recorded/signed for, ask for it again claiming you did not receive anything yet giving them a further 14 days.

3) If you do finally get this within the stated time period via recorded post then simply write back (recorded) post that you feel you had no material benefit, you feel you were mislead at the time of the sale with markings such as 'Free' and 'Trial' under EU law you do not feel this is an enforceable or fair debt.

4) If they do actually come back to you then simply state that you have reached a stalemate, you cannot agree with the enforcement and invite them to set a date at the local small claims court in Greece and just repeat this with every demand.

The cost of enforcement once invited far outweighs the maximum they can collect once in a small claims court, they will drop it.

if you don't communicate with them and they can show effort they can get a summary judgement at almost no cost.

Thanked by 1mpkossen