Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
Review of @Andre
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Review of @Andre

mrnothersanmrnothersan Member
edited February 2013 in Reviews

Hello,

I felt @Andre needed a really good review, for his work that he's done for us. As you may know, I designed a new Bootstrap design for the PremiumVM website, but opinions were not great. I found a designer who offered to do it for a reasonable price, and then stopped communicating with me. I then found Andre, by a recommendation on here (by @SimpleNode).

I contacted him, he offered to do it cheaper so I took up his offer! The first thing that was designed was a logo for the website. He gave me plenty of mock-ups of the logo and asked me what I liked/didn't like about it. We then came to a conclusion that this would be the new full logo:

I then realized that I didn't like the tagline text, so he compiled a new logo pack for me, at no extra cost.

Onto the website, he convinced me not to go Bootstrap so I agreed. We communicated and he asked me lots of questions, I asked him questions and we came to a final design of PremiumVM.com :)

There were some short delays, which I was compensated massively for too!

I hope you guys like the new website, and I would strongly recommend that you contact @Andre if you're looking for a new website or design. AndreZadnik.com!

-Dominic

Comments

• @Jack said: Goddamit Dominic.

Ninja'd. :)

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

Thanks a lot for the review Dominic. (:

Also, this isn't linking to PremiumVM.com, but the thread itself

@dominicl said: and we came to a final design of PremiumVM.com :)

Edit:
    Thanks @jhadley!

Do not click this link.
  • mrnothersanmrnothersan Member
    edited February 2013

@Andre said: Also, this isn't linking to PremiumVM.com, but the thread itself

Fixed. :)

• He really develops good looking Logos and more interestingly most/all of them looks so simple but awesome!

:)

Regards.
    Mike In

Anyone selling Blesta Owned Lifetime Under $250? | Regards.

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited February 2013

Design looks good.

HTML:

• Tables
    • Internal CSS
    • No HTML5 doctype

WHY?

• @MikeIn said: He really develops good looking Logos and more interestingly most/all of them looks so simple but awesome!

Certainly does :) Love his logos!

@Wunderbar said: Design looks good, HTML uses tables... WHY?

Why not? ;)

• @dominicl said: Why not? ;)

Tables are for tabular data, not layout.

• Nice job, I feel he is careful at choosing colors/design, which is good.

Please beware that his parents are now using the membership to post for their own, together with our precious son..

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@Wunderbar

Tables

For a quick and easy site, tables provide a dead simple alignment and layout.

They'll go where you want them to with no issues, and you don't see many browser issues.

Internal CSS

Why load it externally?
    That's one more resource to load off the server.

HTML5 doctype

Unnecessary really.

Each to their own though.

@MikeIn Thanks for that, appreciated!
    @Intcs Very careful indeed, I do spend a fair amount of time selecting a color pallet and arranging the content. Sometimes I can get overly obsessive with it (:

Do not click this link.
  • @Andre said: For a quick and easy site, tables provide a dead simple alignment and layout.

They'll go where you want them to with no issues, and you don't see many browser issues.

Doing it with div's and CSS doesn't take any longer and it's the correct way to do it.

@Andre said: Why load it externally?

That's one more resource to load off the server.

External CSS is only loaded once, now it's loaded every time you go to a different (unique) page.

@Andre said: HTML5 doctype

Unnecessary really.

Not really necessary but best practice.

• why is everyone crying about someone's coding style

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte I knew that at least one person would dislike the design or the code and would feel the need to express their wonderful views that no one really cares about

I'm generally okay to accept constructive criticism, but not from these kids on here, shouting "WHY?" and being dickish.

Do not click this link.
  • IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

You get company reviews, product reviews, but you don't normally get people reviews!

However, Andre is trustable and seems great to deal with.

[BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
  • WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited February 2013

@Andre said: I'm generally okay to accept constructive criticism, but not from these kids on here, shouting "WHY?" and being dickish.

Naming some bad practices that you can avoid in the future is being 'dickish'? I'm sorry you perceived it this way but I was trying to help.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@gubbyte said: why is everyone crying about someone's coding style

Coding style is important. Depending on what you're trying to do, a layout made up of tables can cause serious usability problems for screen reading software and text-only browsers.

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• @Nekki said: text-only browsers

Only autists and/or hipsters use those, so it doesn't matter either way :)

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@Wunderbar if you truly did want to help, then your original comment really wouldn't have been 3 dot points and 'WHY?'...

@gubbyte
    @Nekki is correct with the fact that a screen reader or text only browser won't see the site correctly, but that's not due to tables.. That'd be due to the lack of image alt tags.

Do not click this link.
  • NekkiNekki Moderator
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: Only autists and/or hipsters use those, so it doesn't matter either way :)

Autists and hipsters have money too, I'd rather make sure both can spend it with me ;-)

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.

• @Andre said: For a quick and easy site, tables provide a dead simple alignment and layout.

The site design looks quite nice; however laying things out using tables went out about 10 years ago and even then it was bad practice. Nested tables like this for layout cause significant issues for users who use screen-readers. As this is a website in UK, the owner/operator has a legal requirement to make it accessible.

• What's a "screen reader"? Is this some hipster technology I've never heard about?

• I do have to point out that for real, I feel bad when browsing a page that uses tables because that's just wrong. Divs are the way to go.

• @drazilox said: I do have to point out that for real, I feel bad when browsing a page that uses tables because that's just wrong. Divs are the way to go.

Then don't look at the page source, damn.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited February 2013

remove . after <

OR just do the easy way
    ![alt text](image url)

• @gubbyte said: gubbyte 4:24PM Flag

What's a "screen reader"? Is this some hipster technology I've never heard about?

Software used by those who are blind or who have impaired vision. Although, you know it wasn't that difficult to find out

• @gubbyte said: What's a "screen reader"? Is this some hipster technology I've never heard about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_reader

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• CoreyCorey Member, Provider

That looks pretty good. Will consider @Andre for future design.

BitAccel - OpenVZ VPS / IRC,VPN,Anything Legal & Unrivaled Support!
  • IntcsIntcs Member
    edited February 2013

So to sum that up, the advice of most who are page designers themselves, seems to be just in taking a more standardized approach later on, in pages side, right? :)

Please beware that his parents are now using the membership to post for their own, together with our precious son..

• Very clean and nice design.

gj :)

Dewlance
  • it's terrible tbh, I'd expect designing and coding it took something between 5-15 mins

DomainAgent - a smart tool for keeping details of domains you own. We're on twitter too!
  • @alex said: it's terrible tbh, I'd expect designing and coding it took something between 5-15 mins

Thank you :D

• 2001 called, they want their tables back

Tip: http://960.gs

• InfinityInfinity Member, Provider

Awesome stuff @Andre, just one suggestion is to work on the nav bar links a bit, I guess styling them up with a box or something. I dunno. Anyway, great work.

Cablestreet - London based ISP - Managed Solutions, Carrier Services, Colocation, Dedicated Servers, VMs, and more..

Designing ANY site with tables is bad practice period.. HTML is not for looks it's the barebones, CSS is for styling.

Seems like something off a photoshop idea. Rather plain, feel isn't consistent across pages.

• Tables = no. Floats are so easy to use too :(

• draziloxdrazilox Member
    edited February 2013

@kernelsanders, what are these "floats" you're speaking of? You mean divs with floats?

• @drazilox said: @kernelsanders, what are these "floats" you're speaking of? You mean divs with floats?

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/CSS/float

• @gubbyte, yeah, but you can't just use "floats", you need to specify a float on an element, and usually when designing, that element is div.

• orly

<style type="text/css">
    floatright { float: right; }
    </style>
    <floatright>hello</floatright>

• edited February 2013

Uhh typically anyone with half a brain knows what you mean when someone says "floats"...

`#container {
    width:500px;
    }

div1 {

float:left;
    width:250px;
    }

div2 {

float:right;
    width:250px;
    }`

Then clear:both;

Sorry if formatting sucks, I'm on my phone.

And as @gubbyte said. Welcome to html5.

• @gubbyte, yeah I guess that would work. Even though it's not valid.

@kernelsanders, you're absolutely right. I was just being a smartass.

• I figured as much :P No big deal, we're all that way at some point :)

• It's sad to see how dominici tried to give Andre some credit for his work but Andre ruined it with his comments.

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Provider

I really like the work you've done on logos @Andre and have been considering coming to you for a while now, in regards to a logo I'll be needing soon.

The site design looks pretty nice too.. and although I partially agree with your comment regarding table-based design, in the fact that it's quick and easy to implement, it really is not good for anything more than a mockup, as others have mentioned, it isn't good practice at all for a number of reasons.

The killer for me though is the statement about external CSS, and that there is no point loading it externally.

As far as I'm concerned with design, I try to keep to the following rules:

HTML - Content
    CSS - Separate file, styling
    JavaScript - Separate file, functionality

Good work on the actual design though, it does look nice.

VPN.sh - Secure and Affordable VPN services - £9.99/year, Unlimited Bandwidth, 20+ Countries - Order Link

• Thank you @liamwithers.

It may not be the best of practices, but the site loads correctly in IE5.5 and above, with only two issues; the header logo has a border, and the CTA buttons have alpha transparency (PNG24).

I can understand the use of external CSS, but I didn't see the point if there's really only 5 shared classes per page.

Do not click this link.
  • NekkiNekki Moderator

@Andre tables can cause issues with screen readers, depending on how the code flows versus the way the content flows - if the table layout breaks the logical flow, then it can render the site unusable. More of a general observation than any issue with your code (as I haven't looked at it).

• @Nekki
    The site is structured fine in this matter - a screen reader is still able to read it, the tables flow logically (it reads through, top left-right, next row, same thing).
    The only issue I see, and as I stated previously is the lack of alt tags, meaning all images will not be read.

Do not click this link.
  • Anyone who is good with php / html / ajax drop me a msg.

AboveClouds • UK Company • UK Datacentre • UK Customer Support

High Performance Pure SSD Cloud Hosting with a personal touch

• An additional Question,

Can any one tell me, whether the templates (in general) comes with a Admin Panel or thing as such so as to do things like 1 click image changer or similar things/stuffs.

Or they are mostly Manual (To be Coded for changes).

Regards,
    Mike In

Anyone selling Blesta Owned Lifetime Under $250? | Regards.

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited February 2013

@MikeIn said: Can any one tell me, whether the templates (in general) comes with a Admin Panel or thing as such so as to do things like 1 click image changer or similar things/stuffs.

You'll have a hard time finding someone who sells templates with that.