Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of @Andre
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of @Andre

PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep
edited February 2013 in Reviews

Hello,

I felt @Andre needed a really good review, for his work that he's done for us. As you may know, I designed a new Bootstrap design for the PremiumVM website, but opinions were not great. I found a designer who offered to do it for a reasonable price, and then stopped communicating with me. I then found Andre, by a recommendation on here (by @SimpleNode).

I contacted him, he offered to do it cheaper so I took up his offer! The first thing that was designed was a logo for the website. He gave me plenty of mock-ups of the logo and asked me what I liked/didn't like about it. We then came to a conclusion that this would be the new full logo:

I then realized that I didn't like the tagline text, so he compiled a new logo pack for me, at no extra cost.

Onto the website, he convinced me not to go Bootstrap so I agreed. We communicated and he asked me lots of questions, I asked him questions and we came to a final design of PremiumVM.com :)

There were some short delays, which I was compensated massively for too!

I hope you guys like the new website, and I would strongly recommend that you contact @Andre if you're looking for a new website or design. AndreZadnik.com!

-Dominic

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@Jack said: Goddamit Dominic.

Ninja'd. :)

• jhjh Member

Looks nice. Good work @andre

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

Thanks a lot for the review Dominic. (:

Also, this isn't linking to PremiumVM.com, but the thread itself

@dominicl said: and we came to a final design of PremiumVM.com :)

Edit:
    Thanks @jhadley!

edited February 2013

@Andre said: Also, this isn't linking to PremiumVM.com, but the thread itself

Fixed. :)

• He really develops good looking Logos and more interestingly most/all of them looks so simple but awesome!

:)

Regards.
    Mike In
    :)

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited February 2013

Design looks good.

HTML:

• Tables
    • Internal CSS
    • No HTML5 doctype

WHY?

@MikeIn said: He really develops good looking Logos and more interestingly most/all of them looks so simple but awesome!

Certainly does :) Love his logos!

@Wunderbar said: Design looks good, HTML uses tables... WHY?

Why not? ;)

• @dominicl said: Why not? ;)

Tables are for tabular data, not layout.

• Nice job, I feel he is careful at choosing colors/design, which is good.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@Wunderbar

Tables

For a quick and easy site, tables provide a dead simple alignment and layout.

They'll go where you want them to with no issues, and you don't see many browser issues.

Internal CSS

Why load it externally?
    That's one more resource to load off the server.

HTML5 doctype

Unnecessary really.

Each to their own though.

@MikeIn Thanks for that, appreciated!
    @Intcs Very careful indeed, I do spend a fair amount of time selecting a color pallet and arranging the content. Sometimes I can get overly obsessive with it (:

• @Andre said: For a quick and easy site, tables provide a dead simple alignment and layout.

They'll go where you want them to with no issues, and you don't see many browser issues.

Doing it with div's and CSS doesn't take any longer and it's the correct way to do it.

@Andre said: Why load it externally?

That's one more resource to load off the server.

External CSS is only loaded once, now it's loaded every time you go to a different (unique) page.

@Andre said: HTML5 doctype

Unnecessary really.

Not really necessary but best practice.

• why is everyone crying about someone's coding style

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte I knew that at least one person would dislike the design or the code and would feel the need to express their wonderful views that no one really cares about

I'm generally okay to accept constructive criticism, but not from these kids on here, shouting "WHY?" and being dickish.

• You get company reviews, product reviews, but you don't normally get people reviews!

However, Andre is trustable and seems great to deal with.

• WunderbarWunderbar Member
    edited February 2013

@Andre said: I'm generally okay to accept constructive criticism, but not from these kids on here, shouting "WHY?" and being dickish.

Naming some bad practices that you can avoid in the future is being 'dickish'? I'm sorry you perceived it this way but I was trying to help.

• @gubbyte said: why is everyone crying about someone's coding style

Coding style is important. Depending on what you're trying to do, a layout made up of tables can cause serious usability problems for screen reading software and text-only browsers.

• @Nekki said: text-only browsers

Only autists and/or hipsters use those, so it doesn't matter either way :)

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@Wunderbar if you truly did want to help, then your original comment really wouldn't have been 3 dot points and 'WHY?'...

@gubbyte
    @Nekki is correct with the fact that a screen reader or text only browser won't see the site correctly, but that's not due to tables.. That'd be due to the lack of image alt tags.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited February 2013

@gubbyte said: Only autists and/or hipsters use those, so it doesn't matter either way :)

Autists and hipsters have money too, I'd rather make sure both can spend it with me ;-)

• @Andre said: For a quick and easy site, tables provide a dead simple alignment and layout.

The site design looks quite nice; however laying things out using tables went out about 10 years ago and even then it was bad practice. Nested tables like this for layout cause significant issues for users who use screen-readers. As this is a website in UK, the owner/operator has a legal requirement to make it accessible.

• What's a "screen reader"? Is this some hipster technology I've never heard about?

• I do have to point out that for real, I feel bad when browsing a page that uses tables because that's just wrong. Divs are the way to go.

• @drazilox said: I do have to point out that for real, I feel bad when browsing a page that uses tables because that's just wrong. Divs are the way to go.

Then don't look at the page source, damn.

• curtisgcurtisg Banned
    edited February 2013

remove . after <

OR just do the easy way
    ![alt text](image url)

• @gubbyte said: gubbyte 4:24PM Flag

What's a "screen reader"? Is this some hipster technology I've never heard about?

Software used by those who are blind or who have impaired vision. Although, you know it wasn't that difficult to find out

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@gubbyte said: What's a "screen reader"? Is this some hipster technology I've never heard about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_reader

• That looks pretty good. Will consider @Andre for future design.

• IntcsIntcs Member
    edited February 2013

So to sum that up, the advice of most who are page designers themselves, seems to be just in taking a more standardized approach later on, in pages side, right? :)

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

Very clean and nice design.

gj :)

• it's terrible tbh, I'd expect designing and coding it took something between 5-15 mins