Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iKoula: one of the finest hosts out there
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iKoula: one of the finest hosts out there

I feel obliged to write this mainly because my conscience demands it.. It is our duty in the community to write true reviews for excellent providers and provide them the necessary coverage they need to breathe and expand.

I have been getting vps, servers for over a decade now and it is rare to come across a host who is as genuine as iKoula .

I was lucky enough to grab 2 of their atom servers offer with awesome specs for an even better price almost an year ago.

Frankly I only make use of the one while the other one idles but I don't cancel it either mainly because I know an offer and service at the price they provide is almost impossible to find elsewhere.

The network for all my purposes is top notch, my machine has been online and connectable without a single second of network downtime since the beginning.

I have only had to deal with the support once because I needed to change the payment term on one of my machines to quarterly instead of monthly.

I recommend iKoula to everyone here and I hope they will continue offering great features and prices with the same level of quality.

Comments

• ehabehab Member

can you please post benchmarks? thanks in advance.

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited March 2016

System Info

Processor : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @ 1.66GHz

>

CPU Cores : 4

>

Frequency : 1666.454 MHz

>

Memory : 3949 MB

>

Swap : 3071 MB

>

Uptime : 243 days, 14:28,

>

>

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

>

Kernel : 3.2.0-4-amd64

>

Hostname : xxxxxx

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Your public IPv4 is XX.XX.XX.XX

Location Provider Speed

>

CDN Cachefly 11.3MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 1.73MB/s

>

Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 3.31MB/s

>

Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 3.47MB/s

>

San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 2.88MB/s

>

Washington, DC, US Softlayer 4.59MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 2.45MB/s

>

Singapore Softlayer 3.57MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 5.98MB/s

>

Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 10.4MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 59.3 MB/s

>

I/O (2nd run) : 59.2 MB/s

>

I/O (3rd run) : 58.8 MB/s

>

Average I/O : 59.1 MB/s

>

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member
    edited March 2016

if i may still ask the cpu benchmark like "ServerBear" tests https://github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark

http://serverbear.com/add-benchmark

• ATHKATHK Member

What's your link speed? Those download results are quite poor.

• raza19raza19 Veteran

well its a 100 Mbps connection, so i am pretty satisfied and plus its targeted mainly towards eu visitors, connections to usa aren't much of a concern.

as for the cpu, its sufficient enough for me, handles a few thousand visitors on my heavy php,mysql,apache websites pretty successfully.

& remember this is for 5 euros a month server ! 1 TB with 4gb ram, what else can one ask for ....

• I would agree they are a fine host if you get one of their limited offers. Paying regular price for any of their stuff probably isnt worth it.

• @raza19 said:
    well its a 100 Mbps connection, so i am pretty satisfied and plus its targeted mainly towards eu visitors, connections to usa aren't much of a concern.

as for the cpu, its sufficient enough for me, handles a few thousand visitors on my heavy php,mysql,apache websites pretty successfully.

& remember this is for 5 euros a month server ! 1 TB with 4gb ram, what else can one ask for ....

How big is the database ? How many visitors per day ?

• tommytommy Member

@raza19 said:

Good for you. I'm glad satisfied with their speed, even they dont get full speed to everywhere.

People around here most of time asking for everything, they did because they love to show off.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Can confirm that, my Atom is running at 8MB/s up to 12/MB/s, network is pretty good.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • Current Server Time 2016-03-01 12:26:30 Server Uptime 355Day4Hour4Minute
    CPU Model [4Core] Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @ 1.66GHz | Frequency:1667.042 | Secondary cache:512 KB | Bogomips:3334.08 ×4

I have one with them as well. Almost a year uptime since last reboot.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

raza19 said: I feel obliged to write this mainly because my conscience demands it.. It is our duty in the community to write true reviews

I'm not sure LET is really a place of conscience and duty...

Thanked by 2geekalot thagoat
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

Good time to drop this ;)
    @raindog308
    >

"To believe all men honest is folly. To believe none is something worse."

• Have an atom also and performs great. Too bad they won't allow me to have Ubuntu for free.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

they wanted an ID scan, so I took my money elsewhere. Furthermore, their panel is really obnoxious. Very unprofessional.

• I have two of those atoms they offered here the first time 4GB ram and 1TB hdd, was told they do validation with ID scan etc, a few hours after my order they called me and pretty much asked if i ordered those servers and what i was going to use them for, answered yes, personal use and i was validated/servers activated.

A few months ago i got a small package from france, had no idea what it was opened it up and it was from Ikoula with a letter in french (have no idea what it said didn't save the letter) and kind of a squeeze toy

Thanked by 2Admiral_Awesome edan
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@zrunner said:

Never got a package from them or letter, the only thing i get its from OVH there magazine since i own a Intel Atom.

• I've got a dedi with the exactly same spec as yours, and I have to say it's solid and I have nothing but positive comments on iKoula. My dedi is 100% up, and the bandwidth is really comfortable.

On the other hand, their panel is not that professional, and it took me quite a while to find the right place when I first decided to deposit some money there.

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • +1 for Ikoula uptime (186 days since manual re-boot)

The panel is truly horrible

Excellent VFM

But I didn't get a French Letter or a fishy surprise :(

• @ikoula had a look at your site, you might want to look at the "Green i3" on the english version of the site, as it's showing it as coming as 1GB of data, which isn't going to get most people very far.

I suspect it's a typo and should be 1TB

Thanked by 1Ikoula
  • SaragoldfarbSaragoldfarb Member
    edited March 2016

@ehab said:
    if i may still ask the cpu benchmark like "ServerBear" tests https://github.com/Crowd9/Benchmark

http://serverbear.com/add-benchmark

Using them for backups: benchmark

Thanked by 1ehab
  • ehabehab Member

@Saragoldfarb said:
    Using them for backups: benchmark

appreciated thanks

• the benchmarks posted are no where near good standards... I would not host a busy site on such server at all.

• @mehargags said:
    the benchmarks posted are no where near good standards... I would not host a busy site on such server at all.

It also depends on what you use it for, as mentioned earlier i have two of these boxes i do not host any sites (http) on them, but the 1TB disk gives me about 90MB/s,
    CPU wise sure it's not that great/fast and you're most-likely not pushing the full 100Mbit/s to the US, but generally in EU you get good speeds.

@Neoon said:

@alaningus said:

>

Actually dont know/remember why they sent me that fishie maybe @ikoula could fill us in on it and if you ask nicely they might have some laying around that they can send :)

• raza19raza19 Veteran
    edited March 2016

@zrunner said:
    http

I run a major website on this system with over a few thousand visitors hitting every hour. The disk speed is pretty nice for my needs and with proper mysql tuning/caching, well tested haproxy/nginx and Apache setup you should do just fine with it.

Remember @mehargags most of the time the bottleneck in a website's performance is poor disk performance followed by improper tuning of various severs. Additionally, on my machine the daily traffic fluctuates between terabytes since it's image intensive content and the unlimited bandwidth option comes in really handy.

There is no comparison with almost any vps offered here in the same price range or even atom dedis from online.net special to this little ikoula beast.

• I was actually referring to Network benchmarks... not the disk speed which seems ok. The network is not even >5mbps to major hops which is quite an issue for busy sites, especially if they have files hosted and shared.

• zrunnerzrunner Member
    edited March 2016

@mehargags said:
    "The network is not even >5mbps"

5mbps would be 5 Mega-bit-per-second (big M for mega (Mbps)) these servers comes with a 100Mbps connection, and the network benchmark results are showed in MB/s which is Mega-Byte-per-second (MB/s)

So if the network wouldn't be able to push ~600KB/s (~5Mbit/s) i would agree with you on bad network benchmarks.

Edit: added "benchmark"

Hostname: XxX

System uptime: 256 days, 7:03,

CPU model: Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @ 1.66GHz

Number of CPU cores: 4

CPU cache: 512 KB

CPU frequency: 1666.895 MHz

Total amount of RAM: 3949 MB Free: 2735 MB

Total amount of swap: 3071 MB Free: 3071 MB

Operation System: Debian GNU/Linux 7

32/64-Bits: x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel: 3.2.0-4-amd64

Time taken to generate PI to 5000 decimal places with a single thread: 1m28.161s

I/O speed #1: 93.8 MB/s

I/O speed #2: 95.0 MB/s

I/O speed #3: 94.7 MB/s

Average I/O speed: 94.5 MB/s

Download speed from Asia:

Linode, Singapore, Singapore: 2.24MB/s

Leaseweb, Singapore, Singapore: 3.23MB/s

Softlayer, Singapore, Singapore: 4.04MB/s

Linode, Tokyo, Japan: 2.83MB/s

Leaseweb, Hongkong, Hongkong: 3.00MB/s

Prometeus, Pune, India: 2.59MB/s

Download speed from Australasia:

Ransom IT, Auckland, New Zealand: 984KB/s

Ransom IT, Melbourne, Australia: 1.02MB/s

Ransom IT, Sydney, Australia: 1.05MB/s

Download speed from EU:

Prometeus, Milano, Italy: 7.70MB/s

Edis, Milano, Italy: 4.48MB/s

Edis, Paris, France: 9.03MB/s

OVH, Roubaix, France: 11.2MB/s

Edis, London, UK: 10.8MB/s

Linode, London, UK: 11.2MB/s

Vultr, London, UK: 11.1MB/s

Edis, Frankfurt, Germany: 10.5MB/s

Linode, Frankfurt, Germany: 11.1MB/s

Tele2, Frankfurt, Germany: 8.96MB/s

Leaseweb, Frankfurt, Germany: 10.9MB/s

Hetzner, Nuernberg, Germany: 10.5MB/s

Edis, Stockholm, Sweden: 8.89MB/s

Tele2, Stockholm, Sweden: 9.57MB/s

Edis, Amsterdam, Netherlands: 10.6MB/s

Tele2, Amsterdam, Netherlands: 6.73MB/s

Softlayer, Amsterdam, Netherlands: 10.9MB/s

Vultr, Amsterdam, Netherlands: 11.0MB/s

i3d.net, Rotterdam, Netherlands: 6.43MB/s

Leaseweb, Haarlem, Netherlands: 11.1MB/s

Ramnode, Alblasserdam, Netherlands: 10.6MB/s

Download speed from US:

Edis, Chicago, IL, USA: 3.35MB/s

Ramnode, New York, NY, USA: 6.08MB/s

Softlayer, Washington DC, USA: 4.10MB/s

Dacentec, Lenoir, NC, USA: 4.14MB/s

Linode, Dallas, TX, USA: 4.77MB/s

Softlayer, Dallas, TX, USA: 4.45MB/s

Prometeus, Dallas, TX, USA: 3.78MB/s

Vultr, Dallas, TX, USA: 4.54MB/s

Linode, Fremont, CA, USA: 5.14MB/s

Ramnode, Los Angeles, CA, USA: 3.61MB/s

Softlayer, San Jose, CA, USA: 3.74MB/s

Leaseweb, San Jose, CA, USA: 3.57MB/s

Coloat, Atlanta, GA, USA: 1.92MB/s

Linode, Atlanta, GA, USA: 5.82MB/s

Ramnode, Atlanta, GA, USA: 6.04MB/s

Leaseweb, Manassas, VA, USA: 5.38MB/s

Softlayer, Seattle, WA, USA: 3.43MB/s

Ramnode, Seattle, WA, USA: 3.22MB/s

Vultr, Seattle, WA, USA: 3.63MB/s

OVH, Beauharnois, Canada: 5.16MB/s

Download speed from CDN:

CacheFly CDN: 11.3MB/s

Internode CDN: 2.68MB/s

• I do agree with you @ikoula services is great per price. But I have to say something too, from my point of view, I have no problem with their services, but the website I do. The english translation still bad, I hope this issue will be fixed soon.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Thanks @dragon2611 it's fixed !

• raza19raza19 Veteran

@mehargags said:
    I was actually referring to Network benchmarks... not the disk speed which seems ok. The network is not even >5mbps to major hops which is quite an issue for busy sites, especially if they have files hosted and shared.

ah well nothing is perfect but I guess like in real life you have a choice here too e.g. you can take a chance on a perfect beautiful blonde you meet at a bar most probably ending with her squandering all your wealth and then dumping you pretty much like all summerhosts OR you can go with an ok brunette with some acne, messy hair that comes with loyalty and reliability, she won't be the best in the town but you can count on her to still be there when you need her.

LEWorld is basically a lot of blonde bimbos with very few ok brunettes(or redheads)........

Thanked by 2Saragoldfarb Ikoula
  • Well I disagree... a provider is someone you need for long term, at least for me. Can't compare it to one night stand offs! Yes good looks can be deceptive, but they lure you in which is important!