Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared Hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared Hosting?

Ok some people here think I might be a bit mad, I have cPanel node which has some really decent specifications. However I only run two websites on it and do not sell Shared hosting or resellers as I just like to focus on VPS. As you all know how competitive the VPS market is the Web Hosting market is even worse so I didn't bother.

My question is do you think its worth me finding like a little reseller that has just started up see if I can make an arrangement with them? or do you think it be more trouble then what its worth? I don't mind maintaining the server etc just I wouldn't want to spend time selling it.

Spec of node:
Intel Xeon D-1520
32GB RAM DDR3
2x480GB SSD

I am tempted to just moving the 2 websites to a VPS cut costs but the plan was to always sell shared hosting and resellers but I just cannot be bothered with it.

Comments

• Not worth the trouble. Margin and expense mismatch.

Thanked by 1starservices
  • starservicesstarservices Member
    edited February 2016

I know it sounds stupid but my idea was to take no money from it, ask to cover license cost be nice. Just thought it might be another person trying bring traffic to the website but I think your probably right just not worth it these days.

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

So am I reading this right. You are trying to find a provider that you can partner with that will host your two sites on a VPS in exchange for you sending them business? Or am I reading this all wrong?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I do not think any provider would allow someone else to run their nodes.

• Can you please explain it a bit more? Are you saying that you want to utilize your server for shared hosting, but instead of marketing it yourself, you want to partner with someone who can resell your services, am I correct..?

• Sounds like you want a hosting reseller account, which is generally available with many hosts.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Not clear for me either, do you want to offer space on your server to a reseller ?

• Why not start off with a nice vps and resell hosting from it? Will save you some cost and allow you to still run your sites as well as sell shared hosting or keep the server you have now and just eat the cost for now until you get some reselling clients. If you don't want to spend time selling the server then just cut out the reselling all the way through will save you a lot of trouble in the long run. I a little confused as to what your asking also but that is just what I pulled from it all.

• Basically I got a dedicated server I paid for 3 months and cPanel license and its running 2 websites lol. Its cool just gonna offer shared hosting and reselling.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

starservices said: Basically I got a dedicated server I paid for 3 months and cPanel license and its running 2 websites lol. Its cool just gonna offer shared hosting and reselling.

Stand up OvZ on your dedicated and create one big OvZ container using all the resources on the system. Your cPanel license goes from $34.95 to $14.95 a month.

cPanel allows this.

starservices said: My question is do you think its worth me finding like a little reseller that has just started up see if I can make an arrangement with them? or do you think it be more trouble then what its worth? I don't mind maintaining the server etc just I wouldn't want to spend time selling it.

Once you have someone else in the mix, their problems become your problems. My concern would be dealing withe resellers' customers' problems (DMCA notices, abuse, etc.), as well as what kind of SLA you're offering. Right now if the node goes down, it's just you complaining. When a drive fails and you're offline for 4 hours, you'll have users screaming at you.

• My advice is to avoid the VPS market if you want good margins unless you have true 24/7 support to justify high prices.

Shared hosting can have pretty high margins if you manage load and have multiple servers so you can have separate high and low users nodes.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Am I the only one that would not run my production and especially business websites on a shared cPanel server?

• starservicesstarservices Member
    edited February 2016

Been doing VPS for a while now, just never bothered with the shared hosting. Sorry and yes Alex it be the same server but it will not stay on it I have nothing else on it yet. Going to get a cloudlinux licenses but I am also going to put our website in a VPS or something when I actually start getting a few people on it.

Issue I had is I had powerfulbox doing computer services and hosting services and I felt their was to much on there, the VPS was really popular so put up the shared hosting. Now I have split them up theres room for it.

• starservices said: I don't mind maintaining the server etc just I wouldn't want to spend time selling it.

A run of VistaPrint business cards and advertising locally? You could maybe solicit some web developers/designers in your area to sell them reseller accounts versus their reselling of big box shared hosting (GoDaddy / 1and1 / etc)

Deal with a small handful of customers reselling your server versus handling the end user

• @doughmanes said:
    Deal with a small handful of customers reselling your server versus handling the end user

I was tempted to just sell reseller accounts as I do plan to sell VPS Resellers so people can make their own instances.

• Don't do VPS reseller crap unless you know the customer, don't bother with any master/alpha reseller crap.

Few shared clients on the same server will be fine, or give your friend's almost free hosting to cover the costs.