Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Info Should A Hosting Company Keep?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What Info Should A Hosting Company Keep?

I have a friend whom i am helping with hosting. What info is a must keep for such?
He thinks anything should just be handled pay pal side with out keeping anything but reference numbers and emails. He does not want to keep Names, address or invoices.

Comments

• This is based on the local laws of the country in which 'your friend' operates his business. He needs to understand his legal obligations in this regard.

Thanked by 2trewq netomx
  • andreblue said: He does not want to keep Names, address or invoices.

Sounds good until you get a law enforcement request

• andreblueandreblue Member
    edited February 2016

Well it would be US Based
    @nekki

• @andreblue said:
    nekki

Either

A) keep records in accordance with the law

Or

B) get fucked by the IRS

• So many good people come to LET to help their 'friend'.

• @andreblue said:

So, my advice would be to go and consult the readily available sources of information for the US. Do not waste further time querying people on a forum.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Keeping information beyond what is legally required in the relevant jurisdiction could turn into a liability.

• Nekki said: So, my advice would be to go and consult the readily available sources of information for the US. Do not waste further time querying people on a forum.

You got any specific ones in mind? I did find some on the IRS but i cant seem to find much else.

• andreblue said: You got any specific ones in mind? I did find some on the IRS but i cant seem to find much else.

No, I'm not American. I'm quite sure there will be a local resource who will be happy to give you guidance however.

• is your 'friend' lazy, or offering 'anonymous' services? If so, payment by PayPal is not the way to go...

• @tehdan said:
    is your 'friend' lazy, or offering 'anonymous' services? If so, payment by PayPal is not the way to go...

+1, Bitcoin, DogeCoin, etc would do the job, and also, he might want to host his site on the Tor Network, if he wants everything to be so secretive/anonymous.

• Seen a few US people put about $3-5k/mo through Paypal for years without any issues from the IRS while they didn't claim anything

• doughmanes said: Seen a few US people put about $3-5k/mo through Paypal for years without any issues from the IRS while they didn't claim anything

when you will past +xxxxx amount you will see !

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2016

@doughmanes said:
    Seen a few US people put about $3-5k/mo through Paypal for years without any issues from the IRS while they didn't claim anything

PayPal doesn't report anything to the IRS until you go over $20k.

EDIT: Just noticed you said per month. Nvm.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • andreblueandreblue Member
    edited February 2016

@tehdan said:
    is your 'friend' lazy, or offering 'anonymous' services? If so, payment by PayPal is not the way to go...

I dont know if it lazyness or something. An not not anonymous. He wants to custom code something so the only thing we store is basically the transaction ID.
    I know we need Invoices but he does not want those either.

Mainly if anyone knows of some good links to government things just so i can hammer the point further that would also help.

One i have found so far for the IRS is https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/What-kind-of-records-should-I-keep while i have not been able to find much else with google fu.

• EobbleEobble Member
    edited February 2016

edit

• BradyHBradyH Member, Host Rep

I would keep everything. Even fraud records and so on.

You never know when you are going to have to prove yourself. Once your database gets really big and its slowing things down. Make backups of if then flush out the system of all the fraud, and closed customers accounts which will free up a ton of space. If you ever needed the info again just load up a temp domain and reload the back up.

Thanked by 1doughmanes
  • CenTexHosting said: I would keep everything. Even fraud records and so on.

You never know when you are going to have to prove yourself. Once your database gets really big and its slowing things down. Make backups of if then flush out the system of all the fraud, and closed customers accounts which will free up a ton of space. If you ever needed the info again just load up a temp domain and reload the back up.

I hope you put that information right at the top of your web site. This is exactly the sort of thing which a company needs to be transparent about. I, for one, would be right pissed off if I found out after buying your services. Now that I know, you've saved me (and yourself) the trouble.

Your data collection policy may be illegal in Canada. If you have followed all the steps laid out at priv.gc.ca then you may be OK, but it at best looks borderline to me.

• Ole_Juul said: I hope you put that information right at the top of your web site.

You think a service selling services for $7/mo or less is going to fight court orders?

I guarantee with a convincing letter head, some would hand over info no problem without a court order. I've seen it.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • I wasn't thinking about court orders though. In fact it never occurred to me, but in countries where that's a threat I bet it would be important to consider, one way or the other.

I was just thinking from a user point of view. I just had a look at their privacy agreement, and it doesn't read like what @CenTexHosting wrote, so I'm not sure what's going on with that. In any case, from either a legal or personal point of view, keeping as much as possible indefinitely, is abhorrent.

• Most of the LEO requests I've seen was FBI over fake consumer goods (purses/handbags, jerseys) and local LEO (fake orders or somebody bought fake goods)

• Everything you mentioned in this post is just wrong. You need to keep EVERYTHING.

• doughmanes said: Sounds good until you get a law enforcement request

If it is a request, they can suck an egg, but I'll simple ask them to return with a warrant. Last time that happened, it was the City and the IP the wanted info on was assigned to their connection, that was a great day.

Thanked by 1doughmanes