Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
It's happening.
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

It's happening.

BK_BK_ Member
edited January 2013 in General

The move to Vegas has begun. D:

Take a good look guys... You don't see this everyday.

Comments

• Boom, good luck to the entire BuyVM team.

Discord: robert#8239

• lbftlbft Member
    edited January 2013

Some complete arse is taking the opportunity to DDoS the crap out of their New York location.

• jarjar Provider

Have a safe trip @Francisco! Hope everything goes as planned!

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• and then they never came back online

• BK_BK_ Member
    edited January 2013

@lbft said: Some complete arse is taking the opportunity to DDoS the crap out of their New York location. Woo.

While I was waiting to take the screen cap of all the servers offline I was wondering why NY kept disappearing.

• NY is still getting a lot of packet loss right now. Been down for over an hour. :S

• @gubbyte said: and then they never came back online

Don't jinx it!

• They should probably film the whole move. It is something that you can't see often.

-

• @Jack said: [18/01/2013 13:40:18] Francisco: because how the nodes are setup is part of the secrets of how we operate.

Makes sense. Trainers never expose how they breed ponies.

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
  • Buffalo still getting pounded by attack.

Had to pull DNS entries and direct traffic elsewhere. Going to be a long night.

• Going to be a long night; trying to fire up another nameserver instance, as both nameservers that I have are on BuyVM's networks. :(

Otto Yiu

• @pubcrawler - Yeah, pingdom has been emailing me every minute telling me my site is going down / up. I think it's time for me to look for a new provider unfortunately. I've just had too many issues with them.

• @OttoYiu rage4.com

-

• @xur17 said: Yeah, pingdom has been emailing me every minute telling me my site is going down / up. I think it's time for me to look for a new provider unfortunately. I've just had too many issues with them.

I wouldn't vouch for Pingdom's monitoring too much. It randomly reports downtime when there isn't sometimes. As a side-note, I haven't had any issues with BuyVM other than slower speeds in San Jose. But that is why they are switching datacenters in the first place.

• @Night said: I wouldn't vouch for Pingdom's monitoring too much. It randomly reports downtime when there isn't sometimes. As a side-note, I haven't had any issues with BuyVM other than slower speeds in San Jose. But that is why they are switching datacenters in the first place.

Have you seen http://buyvmstatus.com/live ?

• @rds100 said: @OttoYiu rage4.com

Using them for main websites, but domains through our cPanel servers are currently down.

Otto Yiu

• Have you seen http://buyvmstatus.com/live ?

Yeah, that is new to me.

Looking at the OpenVZ NY node graphs alone shows big problems.

ovz-ny-01 for instance has this for today:
    20/01/2013 07:50 - 5m ago offline
    20/01/2013 06:58 - 57m ago online (14m downtime)
    20/01/2013 06:44 - 1h 11m ago offline
    20/01/2013 06:05 - 1h 50m ago online (29m downtime)
    20/01/2013 05:36 - 2h 19m ago offline
    20/01/2013 05:33 - 2h 22m ago online (5m downtime)
    20/01/2013 05:28 - 2h 27m ago offline
    20/01/2013 05:27 - 2h 28m ago online (3m downtime)
    20/01/2013 05:24 - 2h 31m ago offline
    20/01/2013 05:22 - 2h 33m ago online (2m downtime)
    20/01/2013 05:20 - 2h 36m ago offline
    20/01/2013 05:17 - 2h 38m ago online (5m downtime)
    20/01/2013 05:12 - 2h 43m ago offline
    20/01/2013 05:07 - 2h 48m ago online
    20/01/2013 05:06 - 2h 49m ago slow
    20/01/2013 05:05 - 2h 50m ago online (51s downtime)
    20/01/2013 05:04 - 2h 51m ago offline
    15/01/2013 08:12 online (1m downtime)

Looks like the "downtime" according to this tool is getting longer.

• jarjar Provider

I thought RamNode was down too, then I remembered I was using buyvm DNS :P

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• Yea, someone thinks it is cool to DDOS them when they are busy with their large datacenter move.

• You've been getting pummeled lately @jarland. Me too :) Same providers.

I pay to outsource DNS to a DNS specific-only provider. Highly recommend business owners do the same.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Provider

LoL, why is that on E Solution's website?

-Joe @ SecureDragon - LEB's Powered by Wyvern in FL, CO, CA, IL, NJ, GA, OR, TX, and AZ
    Need backup space? Check out BackupDragon
  • jarjar Provider

@Night said: Yea, someone thinks it is cool to DDOS them when they are busy with their large datacenter move.

It's not nice to wish people would die in a fire.

Oh sorry, must have been thinking it.

• jarjar Provider

@pubcrawler Meh I was using it for one site for a friend ;)

• Getting lots of loss/packet loss. Terminal is randomly responsive.

Getting 33-65% packet loss. Yippies.

• @Night said: Yea, someone thinks it is cool to DDOS them when they are busy with their large datacenter move.

Colocrossing must be busy with this too.

Serving you the best VPS, Web hosting, dedicated servers and more - Cloud Shards | Query Foundry
    We operate the network AS62638 | Available in Syd AU and Dallas, Los Angeles and NYC USA
  • I'm with @jarland. We need an address and some gasoline for a molotov cocktail.

• Looks like Fran has ironed out the attack. Last 6 minutes have been without packet loss.

Live monitoring graphs show upwards corresponding good direction.

I am amazed he is able to deal with the attacks normally. That's why I like BuyVM and all the magic behind the scenes.

• And... I should note that ping, which is commonly employed as a monitoring means will be showing "DOWN" for Buffalo.

Looks like BuyVM is ICMP limiting, ignoring, etc. in wake of this attack.

Services are up though.

Ping from within BuyVM servers out to remote locations are functioning just fine.

• looks like it's down again

Otto Yiu

• I spoke too soon :)

Looks like we are down in a big way now in Buffalo, @Francisco!

• rskrsk Member, Provider

@lbft said: Some complete arse is taking the opportunity to DDoS the crap out of their New York location.

I figured ...

• I have no clue on which node I am on, but the monitoring for Node 1-3 says ugliness:

ovz-ny-01 38m
    ovz-ny-02 23m
    ovz-ny-03 9m

Those are color coded RED indicating DOWN.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

cant wait for them to be online in vegas

• If Francisco is traveling with the big truck at the moment i doubt he can do much to mitigate the DoS right now.

-

• It is nice that they communicated it so well to their customers. I removed my 4 BuyVM's from my DNS a few days ago, added 4 other VPS's to the cluster, deployed a new version of the website, and done.

Only forgot to schedule the downtime in my nagios, had 4 mails this morning...

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
  • jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Raymii said: DNS a few days ago

which DNS service do you use?

• @jcaleb Trans IP's DNS service. They host my domain ass well.

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

@Raymii thanks boss. I ask because I am interested to learn high availability =)

• @jcaleb said: @Raymii thanks boss. I ask because I am interested to learn high availability =)

I'm not hosting my own DNS for raymii.org. I do have some DNS servers under my control for a few companies, they all run BIND (except for 3 servers at offices, they run NSD for caching and the office computers DNS).

HA DNS requires an investment in time and servers, and the first thing is the thing I don't have much more.

• I have received a couple dozen emails about one of my NY VPS' being down. I thought this move was for SJ and had nothing to do with Buffalo?

• @luma Someone started DDOSing Buffalo pretty much right as SJ went down.

Discord: robert#8239

• Buyvmstatus.com seems to be down now.

Getting less packet loss in NY, but at 5% or so.

So, ongoing issues.

• DomainBopDomainBop Member
    edited January 2013

"Buyvmstatus.com seems to be down now."

server is up, website is down (looks like it is hosted by Ram Host in Atlanta)

• @DomainBop said: server is up, website is down (looks like it is hosted by Ram Host in Atlanta)

RAM Host provides Quality hosting, even for their competitors! :P

• jcalebjcaleb Moderator

I wonder how's their roadtrip

• ny dc: stable 142 ms ping for me from eu..
    0% packet loss, time 13015ms

• @rds100 said: If Francisco is traveling with the big truck at the moment i doubt he can do much to mitigate the DoS right now.

They said Fran wasn't driving, So he is probably sat there on his Andriod/Iphone trying to do what he can.

RaptorNode.com - DDoS Protected|VPS|Cloud|Dedicated Servers|Collocation - Los Angeles, CA
    SamuraiBit Security
  • NekkiNekki Moderator

Shit, I forgot to shut down my storage KVM in advance :-/

Here lies Nekki. He loved massive amounts of storage, K-Pop and calling people cunts.