Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Centos 7 suggestions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Centos 7 suggestions

nfnnfn Veteran

Hi,

Recently I start playing with Cents 7 and I'm starting to like it.

What repositories do you suggest for lamp server?

I playing with remi and was.looking to IUS too.

I liked remi for the collections.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

nfn said: Recently I start playing with Cents 7 and I'm starting to like it.

Why?

Seems a lot of change just for change's sake to me (systemd, firewalld, etc.)

• nfnnfn Veteran

I use Debian for years and systemd is already there.
    Firewalld is and advanced UFW, so nothing.strange for me.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

I'd suggest Gentoo :)

Thanked by 1Rallias
  • sinsin Member
    edited January 2016

I thought one of the major points to CentOS was stability so wouldn't it kinda defeat the purpose by using a bunch of repos (especially for just a LAMP stack). If I'm setting up a CentOS 7 server I usually just use the default repo along with epel-release (and occasionally IUS)

https://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

EPEL, IUS, and ELRepo are community approved repos

• I use EPEL and Remi.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

hdpixel said: I use EPEL and Remi.

I sometimes use EPEL. If I need Remi, I usually reevaluate if CentOS is right. As @sin said, if you want the latest cutting-edge stuff, CentOS really isn't for you.

Thanked by 1sin
  • exception0x876 said: I'd suggest Gentoo :)

And afterwards, upgrading to Funtoo.

• smansman Member
    edited January 2016

On CentOS just run yum install epel-release. EPEL should almost always be your first stop for extra things. You never have to worry about conflicts with base repo.

With systemd there are less differences between CentOS v7 and Debian v8 and pretty soon Ubuntu v16.04LTS. So it's all good. I am finding it easier to work with both without having to re-learn too many things.

Also loving firewalld. Garden variety firewall things are much simpler. Default on CentOS v7 and simple apt-get install firewalld on Debian.

• nfnnfn Veteran

One of the things I liked is the remi repo has lots of php modules.

One thing I couldn't get is a way to have multiple locales in Centos.

• nfnnfn Veteran

For those who use remi do you replace the packages like php-fpm or you use collections like php70-php-fpm?

• Enable remi when installing apps , the latest version will be installed .

• nfnnfn Veteran

@Rolter said:
    Enable remi when installing apps , the latest version will be installed .

Thanks but do you prefer replace the distribution packages or install the collections /opt/remi/phpxx ?

• Just run install commands , remi will install them where they are supposed to be .

Also , if you are using Remi , why not install packages that come with it , which are more upto date .

To answer your questions - "install the collections /opt/remi/phpxx"

Thanked by 1nfn
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited January 2016

I use a few for Centmin Mod http://centminmod.com/yum.html mainly Remi, EPEL and MariaDB official repo. Nginx and PHP-FPM is source compiled so doesn't use yum heh

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@Rolter said:
    To answer your questions - "install the collections /opt/remi/phpxx"

Any disadvantages of replacing original packages?

• RolterRolter Member
    edited January 2016

@nfn said:
    Any disadvantages of replacing original packages?

I always use Remi to install LNMP , never had any problems , other than some modules/apps having a little different name , for example php56-module-name , install of php-module-name ...

About disadvantages , remi is not tested as well as original packages (not that Remi is bad or anything) ..so you might come across some weird issues , for which you can refer to the official remi repo forums at - http://forum.remirepo.net/

I see that you have been using debian as well , any reason why you are moving away from it ?

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited January 2016

Rolter said: I see that you have been using debian as well , any reason why you are moving away from it ?

No problem with Debian, I'm just testing Centos 7 with Remi as an alternative to Debian with Dotdeb and there are a few thinks I like in the first like, more php modules and software collections.

One thing I dislike, some configuration packages are huge like postfix/main.cf