Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How powerful are ARM chips compared to Intel ones?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How powerful are ARM chips compared to Intel ones?

Are the chips used in the latest smart phones such as Samsumg 4 and iPhone 6 equal in power to Intel i3/i5 chips at the same clock speeds? I suspect that mobile phone chips may not be up to the task of long running high intensity workloads as desktop and server chips may be, but are the comparable in power on general computational tasks?

How do they compare to Atoms?

Hetzner's new ARM servers look interesting. How powerful are the Samsung Exynos 5422 seriies? I just checked the website and they they are nowhere to be seen. Are they not available anymore?

Who else providers ARM servers?

Comments

• PetaByetPetaByet Member
    edited December 2015

The A9 chip in iPhone 6s is comparable to Core M or Mobile Core i3/i5.

Not sure about Samsung but it should be similar.

Expect 2000-3000 passmark from these ARMs.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • Generally speaking, ARM cpu costs less power and have lower performance with Intel's. If you want to know more details, this paper is a nice reference: https://research.cs.wisc.edu/vertical/papers/2013/isa-power-struggles-tr.pdf (knowledge on CPU mico-architecture are required to fully understand this paper)

And currently ARM is approaching server market with its new cpu design, which seems very promising and interesting.

Thanked by 1rchurch
  • I run a $3,50 scaleway ARM (dedi if you want to call it that) and it is faster than most VPSes I have for webserver tasks with NGINX.

• IceCreamIceCream Member
    edited December 2015

@Raymii That's true, it's performance is actually great. The only downside is the support of specific software. I had to switch to amd64 because compiling pagespeed (from source) and other nginx modules I required was a real pain.

Otherwise it's really a good architecture and online does their thing with Scaleway pretty well.

• basically expect very crappy single thread performance and crappy multi thread, ignore any passmark nonsense as they are not reliable figures at all.

• rchurch said: Are the chips used in the latest smart phones such as Samsumg 4 and iPhone 6 equal in power to Intel i3/i5 chips at the same clock speeds?

No.

Despite ARM now being 64Bit the chips operate with entirely different instruction sets (no AES-NI, entirely different cache design, often USB instead of PCIe for periph) and cannot be compared 1:1.