Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS (KVM) with decent connection in Frankfurt/Amsterdam
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS (KVM) with decent connection in Frankfurt/Amsterdam

I'm looking for a VPS with a good connection. This should work as a relay of my internal VPN traffic.
At the moment I'm using a Vultr VPS (smallest one), but the transfer rates to my office (Frankfurt) are very disappointing.
I tried both their Frankfurt and Amsterdam location, and in each case I get ~500-900 kb/s over a 200 Mbit line. I also tried DigitalOcean VPS in Amsterdam and Frankfurt, with the same or very similar results.
Funny thing is, that the test files of both providers max out my connection. I also wouldn't complain if the speeds decrease once a while during the day like that, but unfortunately it is always that slow.
Since I depend on a responsive relay, I'm looking for a VPS with a decent connection. The specs are not really important, anything above 512 MB RAM and 1 TB traffic would suffice.

Any suggestions? At the moment I'm checking out Ramnode and Leaseweb.

Thanked by 1Nick_A

Comments

• I might be able to provide this in Rotterdam, PM me if you want more information.

• What about OVH?

• tehdartherer said: my office (Frankfurt)

So you speak German, right?

Than there would be pretty much providers able to serve your request.

• try @arubacloud 1euro/month 2TB BW |1GB RAM|1 core |Vmware

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

You can deploy a vm in our cloud in Frankfurt or Amsterdam.

We use xen and cloudstack technologies ( what can be interesting for you is cloudstack has vpn client and vpn site to site features natively ).

Connection is 100 mbits unmetered.

• Both RamNode and LeaseWeb give me great results on Amsterdam. You can sometimes get a big discount on LeaseWeb that makes it very attractive and RamNode always offers small machines at great price ($15p/y).

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited November 2015

tehdartherer said: I get ~500-900 kb/s over a 200 Mbit line. I also tried DigitalOcean VPS in Amsterdam and Frankfurt, with the same or very similar results.

Funny thing is, that the test files of both providers max out my connection.

If all the test files are fast for you, and all the actual VPSes are slow, maybe it has something to do with the way you set up your VPS? For example did you tune your networking settings, http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/25317/fixing-network-speed-in-kvm?

Or actually, how do you measure the network speed, is it the transfer speed within your VPN? Then how about http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/40099/why-openvpn-is-so-slow-cool-story?

Thanked by 1ValdikSS
  • jenokjenok Member, Host Rep
  • If DO in Frankfurt is slow for you its probably a VPN configuration issue as rm suggests.

DO is extremely well connected in Frankfurt.. and AMS.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2015

I have good experiences, network-wise, with Afterburst as well. They're at Core-Backbone in Nuremburg. Here's a test file.

RamNode's connectivity to me (in Dordrecht, NL) is very good, but I don't know what the connectivity to Germany is like. Either way, RamNode NL is in Alblasserdam (not Amsterdam!) at Dataplace.

EDIT: Test file link fixed.

• ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep

Check Leaseweb, https://www.leaseweb.com/cloud/public/virtual-server

Their network is very solid

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

What about https://www.ultravps.eu/ ?

There Bradler & Krantz (German company) offers Xen-based VPS for less money.
    UltraXen30 plan offers 1 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD and 1 TB traffic for only 3 EUR per month (6 month contract).
    Their servers are located in Düsseldorf with good connections to Frankfurt/Düsseldorf and Amsterdam.
    To check routing you may traceroute www.ultravps.eu, some routing path than my VPS.
    I am easily and reliably able to push 25-50 Mbps from there to Deutsche Telekom and Telefonica Germany VDSL connections.
    I can absolutely recommend them.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Thanks for checking us out!

• Mahfuz_SS_EHLMahfuz_SS_EHL Host Rep, Veteran

CrownCloud ?!? @speedbus

• @dfroe said:
    What about https://www.ultravps.eu/ ?

There Bradler & Krantz (German company) offers Xen-based VPS for less money.
    UltraXen30 plan offers 1 GB RAM, 30 GB HDD and 1 TB traffic for only 3 EUR per month (6 month contract).
    Their servers are located in Düsseldorf with good connections to Frankfurt/Düsseldorf and Amsterdam.
    To check routing you may traceroute www.ultravps.eu, some routing path than my VPS.
    I am easily and reliably able to push 25-50 Mbps from there to Deutsche Telekom and Telefonica Germany VDSL connections.
    I can absolutely recommend them.

+1 from me for their services. Reliable and great bang for the buck!

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited November 2015

Mahfuz_SS_EHL said: CrownCloud ?!? @speedbus

Thanks for the mention :)

we can do the following plan at Frankfurt,

512 MB RAM

20 GB HDD

1 TB bandwidth per month

4 shared cores of an E3-1270v2

1 IPv4 and /80 IPv6

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Try web2objects (@Amfy) one of the best providers in FRA

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • "try @arubacloud 1euro/month 2TB BW |1GB RAM|1 core"

Too cheap to be true. They took 2.4 euro but got no login. Though only 1 hour passed, maybe they will provide login and reimburse on ... Monday ...

Suppose the service stops for some reason. They'll respond after some time? The webpages just sit offline?

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

Thank you for your reply @kibernet , its was really helpful , although it was almost 1years later !

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited July 2016

kibernet said: Too cheap to be true. They took 2.4 euro but got no login. Though only 1 hour passed, maybe they will provide login and reimburse on ... Monday ...

Suppose the service stops for some reason. They'll respond after some time? The webpages just sit offline?

an order with arubacloud only adds funds to your balance.
    you need to go to their control panel (not billing panel) and create an instance of your choice in a datacenter of your choice.

have a look on their knowledgebase if you need more infos.

edit: just looked through my mails for the first order with them. the first order got verfied after about 10 hours. probably they do some manual checking, which may be done during business hours only.

yet that got nothing to do with support on technical issues...

• kibernetkibernet Member
    edited July 2016

@RIYAD said: ... almost 1years later !

:-) You mean, should this discussion be deleted by now? It would be too bad if much info about these providers woul be outdated after one year. At least I found this page helpful. @cassa's link took me to Hexodo, they did allow to log in an set up in less than 10 minutes, thumbs up.

@Falzo said:
    go to their control panel

Just did that. Could not log in. ... Still no response from them. Not from sales, not from support.

got verfied after about 10 hours.

They could allow log in, and verify later.

I do not need a provider which operates only at (their) business hours, anyway. What is your experience about suport response time outside business hours? Just curious.

• FalzoFalzo Member

hmm. I am in the same timezone and have not needed their support for the whole time being their customer, but that's just me.

I only issued one sales ticket just in the beginning for the VAT removal process which has been answered within 30 minutes (during business hours though).

as said before I do think it makes a huge difference if you have sales inquiries or if you need technical support but can't reliably tell how fast they handle technical issues...

anyways I think I do get a lot for that 1 euro monthly but you are totally free to spend that elsewhere if they can't fullfil your expectations on having people answering sales tickets around the clock ;-)

• @Falzo said: you are totally free to spend that elsewhere

:-) Sure.

I need tchnical support 24/7. ... Even better if they don't make me to need one.