Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com
ColoCrossing DDoS protection experience?
New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

ColoCrossing DDoS protection experience?

LordSpockLordSpock Member, Provider

Hi all,

I've been wanting to dig up a DDoS protected provider on the east-coast for quite a while, and I had experimented with ColoCrossing (friend lent me his HVH with protection) and it was honestly a poor experience. I'm not talking about the network quality but it seemed that when it had been attacked, it was offline.

Psychz (10Gbps) held up similar attacks so I doubt it would have been the size that mattered (the box had 30gbps I think)

This was quite a few months ago however, I want to know if anyone else has had better experience and is there somewhere I can pick up a cheap one so I can try it out again.

Cheers,
Spock

Comments

• Well, when LET was attacked they couldn't defend themselves with their own protection, that doesn't speak for a good protection.

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• MikeAMikeA Member, Provider

Well, Psychz has opened their Ashburn location this past week or two so if you need something "fairly" east coast it would work well?

Thanked by 1PhotonVPS

ExtraVM - AMD Ryzen VPS starting @ $3.50
    USA (TX, VA, FL), CA, FR, UK, SGP, AU

• PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Moderator

DDoS Protection is like a science. You can't just throw expensive HW up and thinking it will do it all by itself.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Provider

@EVM_Mike said:
    Well, Psychz has opened their Ashburn location this past week or two so if you need something "fairly" east coast it would work well?

I was looking towards their Ashburn location, just depending if someone can get an above 20Gbps level there and that won't break too much of a bank.

I've got much much more faith in Psychz than I do in CC for sure.

• Anyone know any providers that will be offering services out of Psychz Ashburn? So far I see photonvps.com for SSD KVM.

edited November 2015

@LordSpock said:

Have you talked to Jimmy or George @ Psychz any? Surely they could do something for a fair price, but I don't have anything in Ashburn so I wouldn't know. But hey, all of that new stuff cost money :)

Edit: You might check out DataWagon, by the looks of it they're in or near QuadIX (??) but claim to provide 80Gbps mitigation capacity for most types of attacks and their dedicated servers are pretty cheap.

@JoeMerit said:
    Anyone know any providers that will be offering services out of Psychz Ashburn? So far I see photonvps.com for SSD KVM.

PhotonVPS is one of the Psychz VPS brands. If you need something in Ashburn I might be able to do something soon.

edited November 2015

@EVM_Mike said:
    PhotonVPS is one of the Psychz VPS brands. If you need something in Ashburn I might be able to do something soon.

Would definitely like to hear if this is the case, 10Gbps just doesn't cut it for the occasional attack I receive :(

Giving DataWagon a try, might be something worthwhile to add to the bundle.

• @LordSpock

I bought myself a 20GBIT DDoS Protected hudsonvalley vps using the leb260off15 coupon - paying only $7.60/m total for this virtual machine.

hudsonvalleyhost probably is using ColoCrossing's RioRey DDoS Protection, so far no issues with it! it is rock-solid and i've had no weird network behavior while under attack. maybe your friend lent you the 10GBIT protected vps which is the lowest ddos protection they offer and comes standard with every vps, it might be oversold! 20gbit works for me.

PM'd you a IP of an 20GBIT protected hudsonvalleyhost vps, feel free to test it for a bit. let us know if it hold up!

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Provider

Yes, we're live in Ashburn, VA now ;)

Thanked by 1sin

Psychz Networks - Dedicated Servers, Co-location | PhotonVPS - SSD Cloud | YardVPS - Storage VPS | Layer 7 DDoS Mitigation

6 Continents - 14 Cities - LAX, DAL, CHI, ASH, LON, AMS, JNB, TPE, TKY, BOM, GRU, BCN, SIN, SYD, ICN, MOS

• PhotonVPS said: Yes, we're live in Ashburn, VA now ;)

That's like 15 min or so from my house :) will probably try out your Ashburn location soon

Thanked by 1PhotonVPS
  • @Mark_R said:
    LordSpock

I bought myself a 20GBIT DDoS Protected hudsonvalley vps using the leb260off15 coupon - paying only $7.60/m total for this virtual machine.

hudsonvalleyhost probably is using ColoCrossing's RioRey DDoS Protection, so far no issues with it! it is rock-solid and i've had no weird network behavior while under attack. maybe your friend lent you the 10GBIT protected vps which is the lowest ddos protection they offer and comes standard with every vps, it might be oversold! 20gbit works for me.

PM'd you a IP of an 20GBIT protected hudsonvalleyhost vps, feel free to test it for a bit. let us know if it hold up!

PM me the IP please... I want to test it (I need to compare with my Voxility protected server and my OVH) :)

• For the east coast I would recommend Constant. You could pay $300 one-time fee for their 20gbit protection or a lower monthly fee. You may have to contact them for that deal..

Best server I've ever had to be honest, never any issues with the network either.

Gave @Mark_R's a little test and was very impressed. Shelled out a few bucks on a 50Gbps box and so far I am quite impressed.

I haven't put it through it's full paces yet but fingers crossed it stays good!

• @doghouch said:
    PM me the IP please... I want to test it (I need to compare with my Voxility protected server and my OVH) :)

Sent.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

Mark_R said: I bought myself a 20GBIT DDoS Protected hudsonvalley vps using the leb260off15 coupon - paying only $7.60/m total for this virtual machine.

Wow that's an amazing deal.

Glad you are having a good experience.

DDOS protection will never be perfect, but we feel pretty good about the service we offer in that realm.

Jon Biloh
  • @PieNotEvenEaten said:
    DDoS Protection is like a science. You can't just throw expensive HW up and thinking it will do it all by itself.

@jbiloh said:
    DDOS protection will never be perfect, but we feel pretty good about the service we offer in that realm.

It has definitely improved from the early stages, and there is always room for improvement :)

• @tr1cky said:
    Well, when LET was attacked they couldn't defend themselves with their own protection, that doesn't speak for a good protection.

That was a layer 7 attack I believe, which is very hard to stop.

Thanked by 1NexHost

I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

• @doghouch said:
    Just checked Mark_R's ColoCrossing DDoS protected server. Less than 10GBPS = packet loss...

Could you run this test again but ping from your own PC while doing it? it looks like the ping testing from that booter isn't fully accurate, this would make sense if the pingtest is being done from the same server that is firing the attacks. I've tested the same exploitive (not raw udp) floods you fired at it before and there was no packetloss involved.

Use ping IP -t in command prompt.

Thanks!

• IshaqIshaq Member, Provider

Just because @Mark_R gave you an IP doesn't automatically give you permission from CC or their upstreams to stress test it. You should ask beforehand.

Just saying.

Thanked by 1lbft
    [BudgetNode] DDoS Protected. 7 Locations (US/EU). Check out our latest offer!
  • @Ishaq said:
    Just because Mark_R gave you an IP doesn't automatically give you permission from CC or their upstreams to stress test it. You should ask beforehand.

Just saying.

I see nothing wrong with testing your paid-for protection, its better to make sure its actually going to work before using it in production. I've tested Vultr's DDoS Protection that would cost me $10/m and it was totally useless! i wouldnt have known that if i didnt test it out myself. I aint going to pay for fake protection practices.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/67586/vultr-ddos-protection

Ontop of that, doesnt these ddos protection services benefit from those free stress tests in the end? i'd think they learn new attack patterns because of this and will make sure it gets fixed.

• No need to DDoS a provider to test their protection. And even if it was done with permission, no need to share it on LET and motivate scriptkiddies. This isn't hackforums.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited November 2015

@mpkossen said:
    That was a layer 7 attack I believe, which is very hard to stop.

So Colocrossing only focuses on attacks that are easy to stop?

No need to DDoS a provider to test their protection. And even if it was done with permission, no need to share it on LET and motivate scriptkiddies. This isn't hackforums.

Luckily, all the providers who are not serious about their DDoS-protection, aren't even using their own DDoS-protection to protect their own page. You really don't have to attack them since it wouldn't paint a picture of what their own DDoS-protection is capable of.

tsdns.io - free, redundant, DDoS-protected TSDNS

• tr1cky said: So Colocrossing only focuses on attacks that are easy to stop?

You shouldn't have put your fingers in that light socket.

Thanked by 1Mark_R

• mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited November 2015

Someone is now testing OVH's DDoS protection it appears. Tricky to find out who it is though.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator

mpkossen said: You shouldn't have put your fingers in that light socket.

Doh!

Anyone who claims their DDOS protection is perfect isn't being honest. Our solution, which utilizes numerous technologies and platforms is good but not perfect.

Jon Biloh
  • Wish people would stop with the DDoS attacks on here =/

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited November 2015

mpkossen said: Tricky to find out who

Haha, I've got it!

Thats the right spelling to say I understand it, right?

Software is like sex, it's better when it's free!

• @Frecyboy said:
    Thats the right spelling to say I understand it, right?

I suppose.

Thanked by 2Frecyboy Clouvider

I'm on vacation in Belize.

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider
    edited November 2015

mpkossen said: No need to DDoS a provider to test their protection

I am OVH. I sell you 1Tbit protection at 99$, you go down and i tell you it was 2Tbit attack, you just believe me? Obviously you test a service you bought, don't give a shit if it is DDoS protection, HW or BW - If i paid for it then i have any right to use it as intended, which if i want also includes DDoSing myself.

mpkossen said: Tricky to find out who it is though

Getting a bit paranoid over there? Low sea level causing issues?

jbiloh said: Our solution, which utilizes numerous technologies and platforms is good but not perfect.

>solution

>edge capacity less than 50Gbit

lol^2015

• Oh oh, William, watch out... ;-)

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• Amitz said: Oh oh, William, watch out... ;-)

Already?

Happy to be alive and kicking!

• vRozenSch00n said: Already?

No, but Damocles is swinging the ban hammer easily nowadays...

For those who care:
    You can now find me at https://talk.lowendspirit.com or https://www.hostballs.com

• classyclassy Member
    edited November 2015

Agree you should be able to ddos your own protection.

I'm not into this kind of misery, but if you can take down your "DDoS protected vps" with some service you found online for $25/mo you know it's not good because your enemies can buy the same thing for $25/mo and there goes your site..

• jarjar Provider
    edited November 2015

If I buy fire insurance I should be able to burn my house down.

...wrong.

In the US it is a federal crime. You don't have permission from everyone in between, nor permission of the owner of the network or server, unless otherwise stated. A DDOS can impact more than just the end point, protection is not a toy it is a best effort to keep you online against the wishes of criminals.

I do, however, condone openly admitting that you DDOS your own servers, as well as providing identifiable information so that the providers in question can terminate your services.

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• Guns don't kill people. People with guns kill people. Right?

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider

jarland said: In the US it is a federal crime

Here it was not even illegal to ddos someone else until some time ago... ddosing yourself will not hold up in court, it is consuming paid services. If your protection is good you should not be afraid of that.

Thanked by 1vRozenSch00n
  • jarjar Provider
    edited November 2015

The two camps on LET:

1. Those who want services for incredible prices.

2. Those obsessed with ruining it for everyone.

This thread is filled with people in camp #2. Have your opinions, but enjoy driving up the prices of services you need by demanding dedicated DDOS protection on a VPS, with the bully tactic of attacking your providers.

Thanked by 2Cpt_Ben lbft

MagicSpam blackmails providers into buying their software, and ServerHub is a professional spam organization.

• @jarland said:
    The two camps on LET:

Jarland :(

I'm in neither of these two camp. I am here for the fun. I don't buy service nor do I try to ruin any providers business.

Thanked by 1jar

• @jarland said:
    The two camps on LET:

1. Those who want services for incredible prices.

2. Those obsessed with ruining it for everyone.

This thread is filled with people in camp #2. Have your opinions, but enjoy driving up the prices of services you need by demanding dedicated DDOS protection on a VPS, with the bully tactic of attacking your providers.

So you are not into quality assurance? you will just take the provider's word for it and never test if the paid-for product is working correctly and discover later its faulty? you make it sound like the people in this thread do it for all the wrong reasons.

It would be nice if there was a site that shows which providers sell working ddos protections, real tests done with detailed reports on what attacks have been dodged and how much raw udp floods a provider can tank away before shutting you off - we wouldn't have to test ourselfs if such site existed, so far i haven't come agross such site/service.

• jarjar Provider

@Mark_R if you really need the protection it shouldn't be hard to test. Point to it, let your enemies do their usual thing. But if everyone is expected to test out the shared protection, rest assured you will drive protection out of the low end market by making it the new "dd benchmark."

• jarland said: In the US it is a federal crime.

And don't forget it just being a really scummy thing to do. Abusing a shared, limited resource just to get your e-penis hard... Wow, you can use a credit card to buy a booter. That takes a lot of skill.

But then this forum has been infested with skids like cockroaches for a long time, and nobody's shown much interest in fumigating the place.

• @jarland said:
    Mark_R if you really need the protection it shouldn't be hard to test. Point to it, let your enemies do their usual thing. But if everyone is expected to test out the shared protection, rest assured you will drive protection out of the low end market by making it the new "dd benchmark."

I cant disagree with that.

Thanked by 1jar
  • jarland said: But if everyone is expected to test out the shared protection, rest assured you will drive protection out of the low end market by making it the new "dd benchmark."

It'll be good for the criminals that operate DDoS for hire businesses though.

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited November 2015

Hidden_Refuge said: I'm in neither of these two camp. I am here for the fun.

SPLITTER!!!

You are either part of the "People's Front of Judea" or the "Popular Front for the Liberation of Judea". There is no inbetween!

For those who care:

If attacking yourself for 60 seconds to make sure something won't go down is abuse, then so must be someone hitting you maliciously.

If you've paid for something, you should at least beable to test it out.

While I understand that the protection isn't dedicated, I think using a small amount of it to see if your server will drop is fine. If it causes issues, stop the attack.

• Hiring a bodyguard doesn't entitle you to pay someone to come up and try and smack them in the face to see how well they deal with attacks.

• lbft said: Hiring a bodyguard doesn't entitle you to pay someone to come up and try and smack them in the face to see how well they deal with attacks.

Thanked by 1xijinRK

Software is like sex, it's better when it's free!