Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ColoCrossing DDoS protection experience?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ColoCrossing DDoS protection experience?

LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

Hi all,

I've been wanting to dig up a DDoS protected provider on the east-coast for quite a while, and I had experimented with ColoCrossing (friend lent me his HVH with protection) and it was honestly a poor experience. I'm not talking about the network quality but it seemed that when it had been attacked, it was offline.

Psychz (10Gbps) held up similar attacks so I doubt it would have been the size that mattered (the box had 30gbps I think)

This was quite a few months ago however, I want to know if anyone else has had better experience and is there somewhere I can pick up a cheap one so I can try it out again.

Cheers,
Spock

Comments

• Well, when LET was attacked they couldn't defend themselves with their own protection, that doesn't speak for a good protection.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Well, Psychz has opened their Ashburn location this past week or two so if you need something "fairly" east coast it would work well?

Thanked by 1PhotonVPS
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

DDoS Protection is like a science. You can't just throw expensive HW up and thinking it will do it all by itself.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

@EVM_Mike said:
    Well, Psychz has opened their Ashburn location this past week or two so if you need something "fairly" east coast it would work well?

I was looking towards their Ashburn location, just depending if someone can get an above 20Gbps level there and that won't break too much of a bank.

I've got much much more faith in Psychz than I do in CC for sure.

• Anyone know any providers that will be offering services out of Psychz Ashburn? So far I see photonvps.com for SSD KVM.

edited November 2015

@LordSpock said:

Have you talked to Jimmy or George @ Psychz any? Surely they could do something for a fair price, but I don't have anything in Ashburn so I wouldn't know. But hey, all of that new stuff cost money :)

Edit: You might check out DataWagon, by the looks of it they're in or near QuadIX (??) but claim to provide 80Gbps mitigation capacity for most types of attacks and their dedicated servers are pretty cheap.

@JoeMerit said:
    Anyone know any providers that will be offering services out of Psychz Ashburn? So far I see photonvps.com for SSD KVM.

PhotonVPS is one of the Psychz VPS brands. If you need something in Ashburn I might be able to do something soon.

edited November 2015

@EVM_Mike said:
    PhotonVPS is one of the Psychz VPS brands. If you need something in Ashburn I might be able to do something soon.

Would definitely like to hear if this is the case, 10Gbps just doesn't cut it for the occasional attack I receive :(

Giving DataWagon a try, might be something worthwhile to add to the bundle.

• @LordSpock

I bought myself a 20GBIT DDoS Protected hudsonvalley vps using the leb260off15 coupon - paying only $7.60/m total for this virtual machine.

hudsonvalleyhost probably is using ColoCrossing's RioRey DDoS Protection, so far no issues with it! it is rock-solid and i've had no weird network behavior while under attack. maybe your friend lent you the 10GBIT protected vps which is the lowest ddos protection they offer and comes standard with every vps, it might be oversold! 20gbit works for me.

PM'd you a IP of an 20GBIT protected hudsonvalleyhost vps, feel free to test it for a bit. let us know if it hold up!

Thanked by 1LordSpock
  • PhotonVPSPhotonVPS Member, Host Rep

Yes, we're live in Ashburn, VA now ;)

Thanked by 1sin
  • PhotonVPS said: Yes, we're live in Ashburn, VA now ;)

That's like 15 min or so from my house :) will probably try out your Ashburn location soon

Thanked by 1PhotonVPS
  • @Mark_R said:
    LordSpock

I bought myself a 20GBIT DDoS Protected hudsonvalley vps using the leb260off15 coupon - paying only $7.60/m total for this virtual machine.

hudsonvalleyhost probably is using ColoCrossing's RioRey DDoS Protection, so far no issues with it! it is rock-solid and i've had no weird network behavior while under attack. maybe your friend lent you the 10GBIT protected vps which is the lowest ddos protection they offer and comes standard with every vps, it might be oversold! 20gbit works for me.

PM'd you a IP of an 20GBIT protected hudsonvalleyhost vps, feel free to test it for a bit. let us know if it hold up!

PM me the IP please... I want to test it (I need to compare with my Voxility protected server and my OVH) :)

• For the east coast I would recommend Constant. You could pay $300 one-time fee for their 20gbit protection or a lower monthly fee. You may have to contact them for that deal..

Best server I've ever had to be honest, never any issues with the network either.

Gave @Mark_R's a little test and was very impressed. Shelled out a few bucks on a 50Gbps box and so far I am quite impressed.

I haven't put it through it's full paces yet but fingers crossed it stays good!

• @doghouch said:
    PM me the IP please... I want to test it (I need to compare with my Voxility protected server and my OVH) :)

Sent.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Mark_R said: I bought myself a 20GBIT DDoS Protected hudsonvalley vps using the leb260off15 coupon - paying only $7.60/m total for this virtual machine.

Wow that's an amazing deal.

Glad you are having a good experience.

DDOS protection will never be perfect, but we feel pretty good about the service we offer in that realm.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    DDoS Protection is like a science. You can't just throw expensive HW up and thinking it will do it all by itself.

@jbiloh said:
    DDOS protection will never be perfect, but we feel pretty good about the service we offer in that realm.

It has definitely improved from the early stages, and there is always room for improvement :)

• @tr1cky said:
    Well, when LET was attacked they couldn't defend themselves with their own protection, that doesn't speak for a good protection.

That was a layer 7 attack I believe, which is very hard to stop.

Thanked by 1NexHost
  • @doghouch said:
    Just checked Mark_R's ColoCrossing DDoS protected server. Less than 10GBPS = packet loss...

Could you run this test again but ping from your own PC while doing it? it looks like the ping testing from that booter isn't fully accurate, this would make sense if the pingtest is being done from the same server that is firing the attacks. I've tested the same exploitive (not raw udp) floods you fired at it before and there was no packetloss involved.

Use ping IP -t in command prompt.

Thanks!

• Just because @Mark_R gave you an IP doesn't automatically give you permission from CC or their upstreams to stress test it. You should ask beforehand.

Just saying.

Thanked by 1lbft
  • @Ishaq said:
    Just because Mark_R gave you an IP doesn't automatically give you permission from CC or their upstreams to stress test it. You should ask beforehand.

Just saying.

I see nothing wrong with testing your paid-for protection, its better to make sure its actually going to work before using it in production. I've tested Vultr's DDoS Protection that would cost me $10/m and it was totally useless! i wouldnt have known that if i didnt test it out myself. I aint going to pay for fake protection practices.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/67586/vultr-ddos-protection

Ontop of that, doesnt these ddos protection services benefit from those free stress tests in the end? i'd think they learn new attack patterns because of this and will make sure it gets fixed.

• No need to DDoS a provider to test their protection. And even if it was done with permission, no need to share it on LET and motivate scriptkiddies. This isn't hackforums.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited November 2015

@mpkossen said:
    That was a layer 7 attack I believe, which is very hard to stop.

So Colocrossing only focuses on attacks that are easy to stop?

No need to DDoS a provider to test their protection. And even if it was done with permission, no need to share it on LET and motivate scriptkiddies. This isn't hackforums.

Luckily, all the providers who are not serious about their DDoS-protection, aren't even using their own DDoS-protection to protect their own page. You really don't have to attack them since it wouldn't paint a picture of what their own DDoS-protection is capable of.

• tr1cky said: So Colocrossing only focuses on attacks that are easy to stop?

You shouldn't have put your fingers in that light socket.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited November 2015

Someone is now testing OVH's DDoS protection it appears. Tricky to find out who it is though.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

mpkossen said: You shouldn't have put your fingers in that light socket.

Doh!

Anyone who claims their DDOS protection is perfect isn't being honest. Our solution, which utilizes numerous technologies and platforms is good but not perfect.

• Wish people would stop with the DDoS attacks on here =/

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • FrecyboyFrecyboy Member
    edited November 2015

mpkossen said: Tricky to find out who

Haha, I've got it!

Thats the right spelling to say I understand it, right?