Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

EDIS price becomes low end
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

EDIS price becomes low end

Surprised! EDIS price seems to become low end now.

Comments

• You mean the 4.99€ KVMs?

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• @Traffic said:
      You mean the 4.99€ KVMs?

Right. Previously their price has never been below 8€.

Thanked by 1Traffic
    • tehdantehdan Member
      edited September 2015

Hasn't there always been a semi-hidden 'smart' Kvm and vserver option for €4.99?

• tehdan said: Hasn't there always been a semi-hidden micro Kvm and vserver option?

Where? Links?

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• tehdantehdan Member
      edited September 2015

Looks like they're generally available on the main site now, I guess this is what @elgs is referring too? (Edited my post above its the 'smart' that's LEB price)

Thanked by 1Traffic
    • @tehdan said:
      Looks like they're generally available on the main site now, I guess this is what elgs is referring too? (Edited my post above its the 'smart' that's LEB price)

Right. I was talking about their KVM Smart. Seems it's new.

• WilliamWilliam Member, Provider
      edited September 2015

"again" is the right word - KVM/VRS SMART was available before for a long time (from start actually) but was removed from public sales in the meantime

Pricing seems wrong on all locations with markup though (HK, IM, IL, CL, LI)

• scyscy Member
      edited September 2015

They used to have low end prices. Then William got on board, they added many locations, and then prices went up (well, no more LEB offers).

Sounds like the LEB thing was a way to get the company known to the outside world, and that it worked quite well.

• Those €21/yr boxes EDIS did were awesome. The 512MB VRS I had was awesome too but in the end I didn't have a need for it and was able to go with something much cheaper

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• @scy my recollection is more that they backed away from the LE market when @william left.

• tehdan said: @scy my recollection is more that they backed away from the LE market when @william left.

That was the whole idea of Waveride.net was it not? Keep the LE market away from Edis itself. That service was not great. But then the service at Edis was not really great for such a long time that I ended up leaving them aside from one service I could not get elsewhere.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

scy said: They used to have low end prices. Then William got on board, they added many locations, and then prices went up (well, no more LEB offers).

There was ALWAYS an LEB range offer available (though yes, not in all locations) - Either by using old coupons or by threads here.

• tehdan said: my recollection is more that they backed away from the LE market when @william left.

Maybe, was reading LEB/LET from time to time so don't know exactly when it did happen, but I remember that at one point there weren't any cheap offers anymore.

@William you were the one bringing EDIS to LEB, and you got to work for them right after that, isn't it?

William said: There was ALWAYS an LEB range offer available (though yes, not in all locations) - Either by using old coupons or by threads here.

But at one point the LEB offering stopped: old coupons didn't work anymore and the lowers plans weren't available. As their brand were known enough - and they expanded a lot thanks to you, they decided to focus on users willing to spend more money on a VPS...

• -.- 5€ for 256mb and no /64

Maybe if you need a VPS in Israel or Chile..

Thanked by 1scy

(((o(゚▽゚)o))) If privacy is outlawed, only outlaws will have privacy. (((o(゚▽゚)o)))

ヽ(`Д´)ノ Everyone should run Tor on their idle servers.

• @scy said:
      old coupons didn't work anymore and the lowers plans weren't available

I purchased 2 KVM Smart VPS's while they were 'off the menu' in the past year or so, just need(ed) to find the right links.

• tehdan said: I purchased 2 KVM Smart VPS's while they were 'off the menu' in the past year or so, just need(ed) to find the right links.

Nice, didn't know that!

• @4n0nx said:
      -.- 5€ for 256mb and no /64

Maybe if you need a VPS in Israel or Chile..

That is one of their main selling points, you may never know how many people actually are looking for such things.

Extremist conservative user, I wish to preserve human and civil rights, free speech, freedom of the press and worship, rule of law, democracy, peace and prosperity, social mobility, etc. Now you can draw your guns.

• Maybe William was paid a lot- so they have to jack up their prices!

Thanked by 1scy
    • Would be nice if EDIS become competitive again, offering something along the lines of what DO&Vultr offer at the price points they offer it at.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

@JoeMerit said:
      Would be nice if EDIS become competitive again, offering something along the lines of what DO&Vultr offer at the price points they offer it at.

Are they really uncompetitive now? KVM's at LE* friendly prices in a lot of harder to get locations?

Thanked by 1Lee
    • Nekki said: Are they really uncompetitive now? KVM's at LE* friendly prices in a lot of harder to get locations?

This. The locations that EDIS offer at ones the like of DO & Vultr would never touch as the cost ratios are far too high. They could probably offer more common locations cheaper however it's their pricing model, so their choice.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• I don't consider 4.99 eur for a 512MB KVM with 2GB storage to be LE* friendly.

Especially in common locations like Chicago.

Thanked by 1asf
    • NekkiNekki Moderator

JoeMerit said: Especially in common locations like Chicago.

LE* friendly is less than $7 really, it may not be your LE* friendly but it's the generally accepted convention.

Fair point in Chicago, but if that pricing allows for similar pricing in Russia, HK, Austria, Isle of Man etc, what's the problem really?

• 2G HDD is way too shabby, but maybe this is their strategy.

• vampireJ said: Maybe William was paid a lot

I don't think this was the case, specially considering the quantity of work he supposedly did.

elgs said: 2G HDD is way too shabby, but maybe this is their strategy.

They sell additional disk space with some crazy pricing :)

• He probably wasn't payed enough as it seems like he helped them expand in various locations and reach a wider marked (without him, would they have ended up in LEB, then reaching easily a global market?)...

The two GB probably allow a not too expensive SSD setup. If you add a lot of RAM it means you can stick many users per node...

• scy said: The two GB probably allow a not too expensive SSD setup

Pretty sure none of their VPS range use SSD.

• scy said: without him, would they have ended up in LEB, then reaching easily a global market?

Definitely not. And still EDIS didn't pay William enough for what he did. Such things don't happen here.

scy said: The two GB probably allow a not too expensive SSD setup. If you add a lot of RAM it means you can stick many users per node...

KVMs are not thin-provisioned. Everyone gets their guaranteed disk space & RAM which is not cheap when using high-reliable SAS disks and good, ECC RAM DIMMs.

me | I'm running a large amount of OpenNIC's uncensored, open and democratic alternative Tier2 DNS resolvers. Now with Anycast! | We also provide a lot of locations and providers on our Looking Glass

Lee said: Pretty sure none of their VPS range use SSD.

VRS SSD, but they were not sold anymore when i still was there - now it seems entirely gone from website.

Thanked by 1Lee
    • elgselgs Member
      edited September 2015

@Fusl said:
      KVMs are not thin-provisioned. Everyone gets their guaranteed disk space & RAM which is not cheap when using high-reliable SAS disks and good, ECC RAM DIMMs.

Right, but 2G HDD is still way too shabby.

• @elgs so don't order one.

• @tehdan said:
      elgs so don't order one.

I used to have one in Hong Kong with EDIS, but now I switched to HostHatch. Should I buy from EDIS again, the only reason I guess must be their Chile and Israel locations.

• TrafficTraffic Member
      edited September 2015

If you pay 3-5€ for a water bottle at an airport, you arent paying the water. :)

• Traffic said: If you pay 3-5€ for a water bottle at an airport

Your airports are cheap then!

Thanked by 1yomero

• @Lee said:

How much is it in there?

• LeeLee Member
      edited September 2015

I have seen bottle water @ £5.50 at London City. So what's that, about €7

It's not politeness the servers need at city airport, it's a mask and gun when they tell you how much it is.

Thanked by 2yomero Traffic

• @elgs said:
      Right, but 2G HDD is still way too shabby.

No, but you also pay support, the rest of the hardware, shipping, and whatsoever. If you need LE{T,B} prices for much resources, go with Waveride. I noticed, no matter how cheap the prices are (they can be even as low as €.01) some people on LET still complain how expensive someone is and YOU are one of them.

me | I'm running a large amount of OpenNIC's uncensored, open and democratic alternative Tier2 DNS resolvers. Now with Anycast! | We also provide a lot of locations and providers on our Looking Glass

• @Fusl said:
      No, but you also pay support, the rest of the hardware, shipping, and whatsoever. If you need LE{T,B} prices for much resources, go with Waveride. I noticed, no matter how cheap the prices are (they can be even as low as €.01) some people on LET still complain how expensive someone is and YOU are one of them.

Thank YOU.

• @Fusl said:

I've got a small 2 GB KVM VPS there in NL for +1 year now and it works very well. Does require thinking about what to install and whatnot, but the performance is very good, and it is very stable. Haven't had unplanned downtime yet.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      https://raymii.org - https://cipherli.st
    • Traffic said: If you pay 3-5€ for a water bottle at an airport, you arent paying the water. :)

I have to admit I wouldn't pay 3-5 eur for a water bottle.
      But airports aren't my world.

• 10% recurring coupon for their KVM plans: 8O2IWD1V

Thanked by 1elgs
    • zeitgeistzeitgeist Member
      edited September 2015

The problem is that they keep changing their plans faster than I can blink. It gives the impression that they haven't found their niche in this ever growing industry. It's annoying because it makes it difficult to estimate costs if you plan to expand in near future. If prices only went down, at least... but that's not the case.

I mean, check this screenshot taken just right now:

http://imgur.com/86TNxXR

KVM Smart is shown as being more expensive than KVM Starter. Huh? And KVM Starter and up have "TUN/TAP available"? That's a new one for a full virtualization solution. It all feels amateurish to me.

• @wrox said:
      10% recurring coupon for their KVM plans: 8O2IWD1V

Good Coupon. Testing OK

Thanked by 1elgs

Pingtest.eu : web ping test service an internet host from 60+ locations in worldwide
      StorageVPS.com : Large Storage VPS, 1000G disk just $20/month .....

• Where can I get a copy of William's payslip and bank statement?

• Software is like sex, it's better when it's free!

• MrX said: Where can I get a copy of William's payslip and bank statement?

So far he didn't give us an official statement about that, sadly; and we haven't been able to access said documents.

Either he was already working for them before and used the trick of "hey I discovered a nice host" to get them listed on LEB at a time where it took a while to get listed. Or he is an secret agent trying to spy on the Austrian people and using them as a cover.

We might know when a whistle blower give us those essential documents.

In the meantime, let dream that this was a real job and that he was underpaid as that's more romantic.

And we need some more romance, don't you think so @MrX ?

MrX said: Where can I get a copy of William's payslip and bank statement?

I earned around 1500EUR (after tax, net) at EDIS (which was sold to me as "what all here earn", which is factually simply not true) and my current bank balance (all accounts combined, minus purely debt accounts and specific credit lines) is -3200EUR.

scy said: Either he was already working for them before and used the trick of "hey I discovered a nice host" to get them listed on LEB at a time where it took a while to get listed

A.: Back then it did not take a while. Listing took 3 days max. with LEA. This went shit after sale to Liam and later to CC, i actually did bid myself to buy LEB at this time, as did various others.

B.: I did not work there before and lived nearly 500km away.

• NekkiNekki Moderator

William said: This went shit after sale to Liam

You mean Joel?

• zeitgeist said: http://imgur.com/86TNxXR

KVM Smart is shown as being more expensive than KVM Starter.

This shouldn't be. I have forwarded this to the right department. Should get changed soon.

• How much is lowend price?