Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS price becomes low end
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS price becomes low end

Surprised! EDIS price seems to become low end now.

Comments

• You mean the 4.99€ KVMs?

• @Traffic said:
    You mean the 4.99€ KVMs?

Right. Previously their price has never been below 8€.

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • tehdantehdan Member
    edited September 2015

Hasn't there always been a semi-hidden 'smart' Kvm and vserver option for €4.99?

• tehdan said: Hasn't there always been a semi-hidden micro Kvm and vserver option?

Where? Links?

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited September 2015

Looks like they're generally available on the main site now, I guess this is what @elgs is referring too? (Edited my post above its the 'smart' that's LEB price)

Thanked by 1Traffic
  • @tehdan said:
    Looks like they're generally available on the main site now, I guess this is what elgs is referring too? (Edited my post above its the 'smart' that's LEB price)

Right. I was talking about their KVM Smart. Seems it's new.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited September 2015

"again" is the right word - KVM/VRS SMART was available before for a long time (from start actually) but was removed from public sales in the meantime

Pricing seems wrong on all locations with markup though (HK, IM, IL, CL, LI)

• scyscy Member
    edited September 2015

They used to have low end prices. Then William got on board, they added many locations, and then prices went up (well, no more LEB offers).

Sounds like the LEB thing was a way to get the company known to the outside world, and that it worked quite well.

• Those €21/yr boxes EDIS did were awesome. The 512MB VRS I had was awesome too but in the end I didn't have a need for it and was able to go with something much cheaper

• @scy my recollection is more that they backed away from the LE market when @william left.

• tehdan said: @scy my recollection is more that they backed away from the LE market when @william left.

That was the whole idea of Waveride.net was it not? Keep the LE market away from Edis itself. That service was not great. But then the service at Edis was not really great for such a long time that I ended up leaving them aside from one service I could not get elsewhere.

• scy said: They used to have low end prices. Then William got on board, they added many locations, and then prices went up (well, no more LEB offers).

There was ALWAYS an LEB range offer available (though yes, not in all locations) - Either by using old coupons or by threads here.

• tehdan said: my recollection is more that they backed away from the LE market when @william left.

Maybe, was reading LEB/LET from time to time so don't know exactly when it did happen, but I remember that at one point there weren't any cheap offers anymore.

@William you were the one bringing EDIS to LEB, and you got to work for them right after that, isn't it?

William said: There was ALWAYS an LEB range offer available (though yes, not in all locations) - Either by using old coupons or by threads here.

But at one point the LEB offering stopped: old coupons didn't work anymore and the lowers plans weren't available. As their brand were known enough - and they expanded a lot thanks to you, they decided to focus on users willing to spend more money on a VPS...

• -.- 5€ for 256mb and no /64

Maybe if you need a VPS in Israel or Chile..

Thanked by 1scy
  • @scy said:
    old coupons didn't work anymore and the lowers plans weren't available

I purchased 2 KVM Smart VPS's while they were 'off the menu' in the past year or so, just need(ed) to find the right links.

• tehdan said: I purchased 2 KVM Smart VPS's while they were 'off the menu' in the past year or so, just need(ed) to find the right links.

Nice, didn't know that!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

@4n0nx said:
    -.- 5€ for 256mb and no /64

Maybe if you need a VPS in Israel or Chile..

That is one of their main selling points, you may never know how many people actually are looking for such things.

• Maybe William was paid a lot- so they have to jack up their prices!

Thanked by 1scy
  • Would be nice if EDIS become competitive again, offering something along the lines of what DO&Vultr offer at the price points they offer it at.

• @JoeMerit said:
    Would be nice if EDIS become competitive again, offering something along the lines of what DO&Vultr offer at the price points they offer it at.

Are they really uncompetitive now? KVM's at LE* friendly prices in a lot of harder to get locations?

Thanked by 1Lee
  • Nekki said: Are they really uncompetitive now? KVM's at LE* friendly prices in a lot of harder to get locations?

This. The locations that EDIS offer at ones the like of DO & Vultr would never touch as the cost ratios are far too high. They could probably offer more common locations cheaper however it's their pricing model, so their choice.

• I don't consider 4.99 eur for a 512MB KVM with 2GB storage to be LE* friendly.

Especially in common locations like Chicago.

Thanked by 1asf
  • JoeMerit said: Especially in common locations like Chicago.

LE* friendly is less than $7 really, it may not be your LE* friendly but it's the generally accepted convention.

Fair point in Chicago, but if that pricing allows for similar pricing in Russia, HK, Austria, Isle of Man etc, what's the problem really?

• 2G HDD is way too shabby, but maybe this is their strategy.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

vampireJ said: Maybe William was paid a lot

I don't think this was the case, specially considering the quantity of work he supposedly did.

elgs said: 2G HDD is way too shabby, but maybe this is their strategy.

They sell additional disk space with some crazy pricing :)

• He probably wasn't payed enough as it seems like he helped them expand in various locations and reach a wider marked (without him, would they have ended up in LEB, then reaching easily a global market?)...

The two GB probably allow a not too expensive SSD setup. If you add a lot of RAM it means you can stick many users per node...

• scy said: The two GB probably allow a not too expensive SSD setup

Pretty sure none of their VPS range use SSD.

• scy said: without him, would they have ended up in LEB, then reaching easily a global market?

Definitely not. And still EDIS didn't pay William enough for what he did. Such things don't happen here.

scy said: The two GB probably allow a not too expensive SSD setup. If you add a lot of RAM it means you can stick many users per node...

KVMs are not thin-provisioned. Everyone gets their guaranteed disk space & RAM which is not cheap when using high-reliable SAS disks and good, ECC RAM DIMMs.

• Lee said: Pretty sure none of their VPS range use SSD.

VRS SSD, but they were not sold anymore when i still was there - now it seems entirely gone from website.

Thanked by 1Lee
  • elgselgs Member
    edited September 2015

@Fusl said:
    KVMs are not thin-provisioned. Everyone gets their guaranteed disk space & RAM which is not cheap when using high-reliable SAS disks and good, ECC RAM DIMMs.

Right, but 2G HDD is still way too shabby.