Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New storage provider.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New storage provider.

Due to unfortunate events with Backupsy apparently not being redundant enough, I'm on the hunt for a 500gb+ storage plan that is KVM based. Does anybody have any suggestions as to another provider, maybe one with a bit more reliability then Backupsy?

Thanks!

Comments

• How about Vultr's Local Storage? They seem to offer the 500GB storage plan at $20/mo; same as Backupsy, but with higher memory and bandwidth.

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

if xen will work , we can figure out something for you

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

If KVM and RAID 10 in Dallas interests you then our plans might be suitable, $7/m for 500GB, 512MB RAM with 'storage30' coupon: https://billing.spartanhost.net/cart.php?gid=15

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

@Infinity might be able to sort something out if you don't mind Central London.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Delimiter has KVM storage plans - PM me with your requirements and I'll get you the relevant pricing.

We have both KVM + local storage or KVM + NetApp Storage.

• Thanks for the replies folks!

• Have IL, LA, TX and FL locations 500GB storage $20.00/mo can do 25% off first invoice.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member

@phillipmather said:
    I'm on the hunt for a 500gb+ storage plan that is KVM based. Does anybody have any > suggestions as to another provider,

Thanks!

SpeedyKVM.com storage plan #1 would work for you; 1GB RAM, 1 CPU, 500GB RAID storage, $7/mo after 30% discount with coupon "LEB"

• quadhostquadhost Member
    edited September 2015

We have some space on our DediStore range, its outside of LET pricing however.

• HostHatch (aff link).

• @SpartanHost said:
    If KVM and RAID 10 in Dallas interests you then our plans might be suitable, $7/m for 500GB, 512MB RAM with 'storage30' coupon: https://billing.spartanhost.net/cart.php?gid=15

bw?

• phillipmather said: Due to unfortunate events with Backupsy apparently not being redundant enough

Do explain more.

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Host Rep

We have plans based in US and EU as well.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

phillipmather said: bit more reliability then Backupsy?

You won't find anything more reliable than Oktay. It's an inevitable reality that things can fail. The whole "If something goes wrong once I must change providers" concept really isn't healthy. One backup server should never be a single point of failure for you.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Delimiter has KVM storage plans - PM me with your requirements and I'll get you the relevant pricing.

We have both KVM + local storage or KVM + NetApp Storage.

PM me your best price on a 4TB node, either type of storage as long as I can run R1Soft off of it for some personal servers of mine.

• singsingsingsing Member
    edited September 2015

Jar said: The whole "If something goes wrong once I must change providers" concept really isn't healthy.

Depends what went wrong. Downtime? Excusable, depending on the length of course. You sent a file to a backup service and they can't produce it anymore? Bye bye!

• singsing said: You sent a file to a backup service and they can't produce it anymore? Bye bye!

Can you describe your issue with backapsy? Did your files lost during storage? Packet loss? Wrong setup of R1? What is your issue?

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • KosherHamKosherHam Member
    edited September 2015

Backupsy has had some nodes go down quite a bit recently.
    That's the problem, and why I also was looking for a new provider.
    Twice in under 1 month. 24+ hours of downtime. They don't have a KVM on their machine, so they have to contact OVH each time their nodes crash.

Their storage hasn't been wiped though. It's just been down frequently.

While writing this my R1Soft node is dead again.

@phillipmather look at http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/63512/cheap-storage-server Dacentec frequently have $20 servers available.
    SpeedyKVM seems to be my choice though.
    I don't trust Vultr - no mention of RAID and they dodge all questions relating to RAID.

• @Incero said:
    SpeedyKVM.com storage plan #1 would work for you; 1GB RAM, 1 CPU, 500GB RAID storage

RAID5 with which type/capacity disks?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@EkaatyLinux said:
    bw?

2TB, increases 1TB per 250gb storage, $3 per additional TB overages.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited September 2015

singsing said: You sent a file to a backup service and they can't produce it anymore? Bye bye!

RAID arrays can fail same as anything else. Backupsy is a backup VPS, not a fully featured "backup service" like Dropbox that runs off S3 in the background. I don't think data loss is specifically an unforgivable thing on a VPS unless it is due to human error, human stupidity, or failure to act on signs of potential hardware failure. The rest is the risk you take when you put something on a computer.

But then that goes to my point, any backup VPS provider is going to have the same risks unless you're specifically paying for your data to be stored on more than just a single RAID array. So moving hosts every time one has an unfortunate issue, especially if you started on a host that is someone you can trust to do their best at all times, is not beneficial. That is to say "hardware failure is unacceptable and I will move hosts until I find someone immune to it." You won't, you'll just move for a while and get better dice rolls if you're lucky, or you'll move to a higher tier (and price) of backup service than just "backup VPS" where higher levels of redundancy are expected.

At least, while we're talking in LET price range I suspect my words to be true. If we're talking about a backup VPS provider that charges high enough prices to justify full node backups of a backup node, which is quite a task and cost given how much storage these nodes can hold, then certainly higher expectations might be reasonable.

Thanked by 2rds100 Infinity
  • KosherHam said: While writing this my R1Soft node is dead again.

If you need a R1Soft service then Delimiter's platform has been good:

http://www.delimiter.com/landingpage/r1backup/

• OnraHost said: PM me your best price on a 4TB node, either type of storage as long as I can run R1Soft off of it for some personal servers of mine.

It would be better to take the R1Soft service rather than run a VPS for it.

• SpeedyKVMSpeedyKVM Banned, Member
    edited September 2015

@vimalware said:
    RAID5 with which type/capacity disks?

on the "storage plans" it is 4x enterprise disks (usually we use WD RE) in RAID 5. The low number of clients per server will work well for our model, and keep performance high.

• @MarkTurner said:
    It would be better to take the R1Soft service rather than run a VPS for it.

I don't want to run off anybody else R1Soft install, I need a dedicated storage device first off. Secondly, I already have a bunch of dedi's and even backups 2TB for all under $50...way cheaper then your R1Soft system.

I was simply just asking for a dedi or VPS KVM/XEN that had those specs :)

• @OnraHost - If you're going to run your own R1Soft server, you want a decent enough dedicated server, hardware RAID, 4GB RAM per TB of storage, and some decent disks. You don't want to be doing this on L5420/L5520 especially during the consolidation it will paralyse your machine.

I would look at OVH's offerings, they are well priced and you get a fast enough CPU, hardware RAID and large enough amount of RAM to make a reliable R1Soft server. You don't want to skimp on specs, otherwise you'll be dealing with ever-so-common R1Soft server crashing or so slow you can't backup or restore.

Thanked by 2vpsGOD jnelson3149
  • OnraHostOnraHost Member
    edited September 2015

@MarkTurner said:
    OnraHost - If you're going to run your own R1Soft server, you want a decent enough dedicated server, hardware RAID, 4GB RAM per TB of storage, and some decent disks. You don't want to be doing this on L5420/L5520 especially during the consolidation it will paralyse your machine.

I would look at OVH's offerings, they are well priced and you get a fast enough CPU, hardware RAID and large enough amount of RAM to make a reliable R1Soft server. You don't want to skimp on specs, otherwise you'll be dealing with ever-so-common R1Soft server crashing or so slow you can't backup or restore.

I have and run over 10 (I think 12) R1Soft servers atm, located around the world Mark. I don't need a lesson on what is and isn't good enough, I know what works, what doesn't, and what I need. This is just something person for me, not production.

I simply ask for a price on something. Never thought it would be the difficult. Forget I ever asked smh...

P.S. Leave all the BS upselling talk to the newbies, not someone who runs a hosting company for the past 7 years -_-

• OnraHost said: P.S. Leave all the BS upselling talk to the newbies, not someone who runs a hosting company for the past 7 years -_-

What a strange response to someone wasting their time to give you information based on their expertise.

If you read what I wrote, It wasn't upsell. It was a *no sale, I recommended you went to OVH.