Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net expiration
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net expiration

This month I've decided I was not going to pay for my Kidechire since I didn't need it anymore. I thought I could just let it expire, but few hours ago I got an e-mail from their technical support saying that if I won't pay the invoice it's going to be passed to a collection agency. So my question is - did I do anything wrong? I wasn't sure about the cancelation process with Online.net.

Comments

• Maniac said: I wasn't sure about the cancelation process with Online.net.

So you thought fuck it, just leave it and hope for the best...

Their cancellation is clear, you must cancel on or before the 20th to not be charged the next month.

Thanked by 3wych rm_ PremiumN
  • The T&C you agreeded to upon signup detail the fact you need to mark the server as cancelled before the 20th of the month you wish to cancel it by.

• Lee said: So you thought fuck it, just leave it and hope for the best...

That's exactly what I thought.

• Lee said: So you thought fuck it, just leave it and hope for the best...

To be fair, that is how you cancel OVH servers. It isn't a complete stretch of the imagination to make an assumption that Online.net might be the same way.

• Maniac said: That's exactly what I thought.

So pay for the next month or they pursue it, simple.

• @Maniac said:

Lesson learned, now you pay.

• wychwych Member
    edited September 2015

@kalam said:

Apples/Oranges.

few hours ago I got an e-mail from their technical support saying that if I won't pay the invoice it's going to be passed to a collection agency.

At least its only the 2EUR server, rather than say the 1,200EUR box ;)

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Aside from my ignorance, them threatening me with a bailiff for 2,45 EUR is ridiculous.

• @Maniac said:
    Aside from my ignorance, them threatening me with a bailiff for 2,45 EUR is ridiculous.

They should have sent Batman :D

• People should read Terms of Services.

• @host4Run said:
    People should read Terms of Services.

Why read when you can make your own? https://termsfeed.com/terms-service/generator/ :D

Thanked by 2sandro pechspilz
  • Maniac said: Aside from my ignorance, them threatening me with a bailiff for 2,45 EUR is ridiculous.

My dentist passes even the smallest bills to a collection agency (as in they don't even let you pay directly). I'd imagine online.net does that automatically,too, if payment somehow failed.

• Maniac said: them threatening me with a bailiff for 2,45 EUR is ridiculous.

Yeah but the thing it's not an idle threat. By the time the bailiff's get involved it's €150 + the €2.45 you owe them.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited September 2015

kalam said: To be fair, that is how you cancel OVH servers. It isn't a complete stretch of the imagination to make an assumption that Online.net might be the same way.

It's a complete stretch of the imagination that you think two totally different companies would have the same policy without actually checking. And that is only true of OVH if you do not set up up automated billing.

Thanked by 1wych
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Maniac said: Aside from my ignorance, them threatening me with a bailiff for 2,45 EUR is ridiculous.

The only one being ridiculous here is you, as for them they are just copy-pasting you the template they have put together for any non-payment cases, from 2 EUR to 2000 EUR.

@Radi out of curiosity, what do you want from him?

Thanked by 1wych

Perhaps, he could clear this up. $2.45 invoice to collections...

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited September 2015

Radi said: Perhaps, he could clear this up.

And clear what up? Refer to the original post:

Maniac said: if I won't pay the invoice it's going to be passed to a collection agency.

So are you asking a company representative to make it somehow happen that the OP doesn't have to pay $2.45 (that he owes solely due to his own mistake, for a service that was reserved for him)?

Ok, guess I didn't understand it right. My mistake...

• Well I"m not sure they'd really pass it to a collection agency for so little money.

You'd better remove your visa number from their website and sell the account to a fellow LET friend. You don't only save money, you earn some ;) (joke - don't do it!)

Good luck

• Lee said: Yeah but the thing it's not an idle threat. By the time the bailiff's get involved it's €150 + the €2.45 you owe them.

And how exactly do they enforce a payment of €150?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

They will keep adding fees to it, in the end will be way more and worth pursuing. A kidechire is almost a free service, they deserve better than leaving without paying the meager bill. This is a matter of principles, I stand with the company on it.

Thanked by 2Issam2204 Lee
  • They need to change their wording as it's misleading and threatening IMO (maybe intentionally, if so that's really bad practice). Sellingyour account to a collections agency is a little different than people who collect on unpaid CCJs (bailiffs) etc - things that have been through court.

• @Maniac said:
    Aside from my ignorance, them threatening me with a bailiff for 2,45 EUR is ridiculous.

Shoot them a ticket or a PM to see if they can clear it up for you. They have been responsive when I contacted them. They might be able to waive it since it'll probably cost them about the same either way. But on the other hand, the system is probably automated, so if they can't or won't, just pay for it and move on. Fortunately, its not too much to pay for a month. I just cancelled a bunch of Kidechire right before the cut off.

I've had a similar issue with another provider a little while ago and they weren't willing to do anything about it other than charge me an immediate cancellation fee. The way they handled it made me not ever want to use them again.

• At least they contact you before doing so, so that you can pay your invoice and then cancel before the 20th :)

In the meantime feel free to seed some linux ISO that needs seeders or just let the box idle a bit more...

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited September 2015

2 euro? Are you kidding me?.. And you cant pay it? lol.

But! :D. Last time i forget to pay an online.net invoice for half year. Then i paid after that.. but nothing happen. That was a 2 eur dedibox. So...

Too easy to forget about this.. "invoices" sometimes...

• @kalam said:

Re: ovh servers : does anyone know if the new kimsufi billing system adopt the 'cancel before 20th' rule too? Or just stop paying invoices?

• vimalware said: Re: ovh servers : does anyone know if the new kimsufi billing system adopt the 'cancel before 20th' rule too? Or just stop paying invoices?

All Kimsufi servers cancel themselves if you do not pay. That is unless you click the link to set up automated payments which you need to cancel by a certain point in the month to stop the billing.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • ZweiTiger said: Too easy to forget about this.. "invoices" sometimes...

Indeed it can happen, although in this case I hope Online see a perfect opportunity to make an example of someone.