Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner entering the ARM market with servers from EUR 11.88 - EUR 23.88
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner entering the ARM market with servers from EUR 11.88 - EUR 23.88

AmitzAmitz Member
edited August 2015 in Providers

Seems as if Hetzner has now also entered the ARM market like online.net and others...

Press Release:

NEW: Low-priced, ARM architecture-based dedicated root servers

Hetzner Online has expanded its product portfolio even more to now 
include three dedicated root servers which all are based for the first time 
on new hardware architecture.

Despite its shrimpy size, the cunning ODROID-XU4 system packs a 
big punch at a spectacular price; it provides ample power and its 
energy efficiency is eco-friendly!

The basic model AX10 is equipped with a Samsung Exynos-5422 
Octa-Core processor, 2 GB LPDDR3 working storage and 32 GB Micro SD 
and costs a mere € 11.88 a month plus a one-time setup fee that is 
also only € 11.88. Ten TB traffic is included.

The models are furnished with Ubuntu 15.04 minimal operating system for ARM. 

Pricelist here:
https://www.hetzner.de/gb/hosting/produktmatrix/rootserver-produktmatrix-ax

Comments

• Amitz said: the cunning ODROID-XU4

Obviously Baldrick runs their marketing dept now.

• Odroid, what a nice change.
    Expensive though.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Yeah, expensive and not really useful for anything which I can think of.

For this price you can get some nice virtualization on a real server.

• @Nyr said:
    Yeah, expensive and not really useful for anything which I can think of.
    For this price you can get some nice virtualization on a real server.

I never fully understood the usage scenarios for those ARM servers, besides testing ARM related software. What do people do with those servers? Genuine question!

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Amitz said: I never fully understood the usage scenarios for those ARM servers, besides testing ARM related software. What do people do with those servers? Genuine question!

They could compete with density/pricing for example, but I'm not paying 10€/month for one of those chips with MicroSD storage when I can get a real HDD and Intel CPU for that price.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • berkayberkay Member
    edited August 2015

I was thinking like "Am I the only one who thinks that these have no real usage cause?" and it seems I'm not alone.

Thanked by 14n0nx
  • netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

As @Nyr said. I will not pay 10 euros for a server of I can get one for the same price. Arm should be cheaper

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Neat, 10TB and 11Bucks, good for a Tor-Relay.

• jenokjenok Member, Host Rep

Nice offer but too bad, MicroSD storage :(

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I wonder whose bandwagon this lot are trying to get on. A very useless bandwagon to say the least. Also, compare the pricing to something like Scaleway (where one of the workers admitted that "Online.net dedicated servers are better value" (FYI: Online is part of Scaleway)

• Calling this CPU 8 core is a little far stretch. You can't actually use 8 cores at the same time, can you?

• XIAOSpider97XIAOSpider97 Member
    edited August 2015

@rds100 said:
    Calling this CPU 8 core is a little far stretch. You can't actually use 8 cores at the same time, can you?

Actually, it should be called "4+4 core".

But similar to HT, IDCs call 4C8T "8 cores" too.

• wychwych Member

Setup fees kill it IMO.

Thanked by 1ucxo
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited August 2015

Amitz said: I never fully understood the usage scenarios for those ARM servers, besides testing ARM related software. What do people do with those servers? Genuine question!

There's barely anything special about "ARM server", it's not like you must have some special task designed for it, or run a special set of software. It's just a server that runs a normal server OS such as Debian. Might be not the fastest, might be comparable to Intel Atom. And there's a lot of things people do with Intel Atom dedis running Debian. Or are you puzzled about those too?

Their decision to use MicroSD on the other hand... I wonder if someone who is angry at Hetzner for whatever reason will rent a bunch of these and set them into a write loop, trashing SD cards one by one, probably won't take even a couple of days each. In any case I wouldn't expect a card to last more than a year in active usage, not to mention under something like a DB load... that's if anyone actually endures how tremendously slow it will be for that.

Online.net Scaleway is actually a better deal for the price, they at least use SAN-attached regular SSDs as storage, which are pretty fast and infinitely more durable.

• @rm_ the cost of the SD card is probably covered by the setup fee :) I wonder how they handle reinstalls though.

rds100 said: the cost of the SD card is probably covered by the setup fee

But they'll have to replace worn out ones at no extra cost to you.

• What is interesting to me is the best use for these things are either for compute instances (just need cheap CPU to burn) or for storage servers. I mean, sure, you can run a website or two off it without much issue, but I think they should have made larger storage an addon (2TB-4TB) as they would work well for small storage servers for offsite backup or similar. However, with the microSD it isn't really that robust for other uses. The one with Emmc storage may actually be the best selection, at least then you know your going to get a consistent 16M/sec write/30M/sec read.

Cool idea but I think they are a little behind getting this into production and the prices are a bit on the high side when you consider you can colo a RPi 2 for less. On the other hand, you may actually be able to get a decent throughput on Ethernet on these boards, so if you can actually utilize gigabit on them, that may be worth it for the extra cost considering the RPi's have 100M nics and usually only see an avg of 2-5M/sec.

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

• rm_ said: But they'll have to replace worn out ones at no extra cost to you.

All SD cards i have bought come with warranty from the manufacturer / supplier. It dies, you return it and get a new one. And i doubt there will be many people who would bother spending real money just so they can kill SD cards for fun.

• For 12 euros I can go to worldstream and a get a pretty decent G1620 with 2gb of ram and a 500gb hdd. So why would I use an arm server?

• @wych said:
    Setup fees kill it IMO.

How so with 10TB Traffic?

• true geek stuff

• @sc754 said:
    For 12 euros I can go to worldstream and a get a pretty decent G1620 with 2gb of ram and a 500gb hdd. So why would I use an arm server?

With 1/10th of the bandwidth, guess just down to individual needs, i doubt there expecting it to be their best seller. But to expand their range of services they offer.

• @MarkTurner said:
    Obviously Baldrick runs their marketing dept now.

Hahahahahahahaha :D

• wychwych Member

@jmckeag12 said:

But I don't need 10TB.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2015

I can push way more, my record on home connection is 110+ TB a month. I was in my last month on it so I was curious if they limit it somehow. Didn't even started the first day of the month as the idea came later.
    I suppose I could push way more on a server in a DC, even my online.net 2 Eur dedi with a pitiful CPU pushes 1 TB a day more or less.

• They also have a new VPS lineup https://www.hetzner.de/en/hosting/news/hetzner-online-launcht-neue-vserver-generation and a little bird told me that they will have a nice ddos protection next year (core-backbone) :)

edited August 2015

The basic packet with 1 vCore, 1 GB RAM, 25 GB SSD storage, and 2 TB traffic is a steal at a mere € 4.64 a month.

No it isn't. 1.5x more expensive than OVH VPS-SSD, also providing 2x less RAM and not unmetered.

• It's like a Linux phone with gigabit connection for 11.88EUR...

Not sure how they are racked in the DC, custom enclosure?

How does it perform compared to low end Atoms?

• Butters said: and a little bird told me that they will have a nice ddos protection next year (core-backbone) :)

I doubt hetzner would buy transit from their competition, especially as they have long term commits on their upstreams to get better pricing...