Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subscribe to our newsletter

Advertise on LowEndTalk.com

Latest LowEndBox Offers

Update regarding offers on LowEndTalk
    New on LowEndTalk? Please read our 'Community Rules' by clicking on it in the right menu!

Update regarding offers on LowEndTalk

mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited August 2015 in Announcements

An important change has just been made to the way LowEndTalk handles offers posted by providers.

In order to be able to post in the 'Offers' category you now require a one-time approval by an administrator, after you will be added to a special group that may post in this category. This will ensure that providers that post offers have past the minimum requirements at least once. It may also benefit future changes to the rules.

The 'Community Offers' section has been introduced for community offers. These offers (like domain auctions) require a per-case approval from a member of staff before being posted. As community members are not providers per se, this was moved to a different category in order to prevent polluting the 'Offer-poster' user group.

If you are a provider and want to post an offer, please contact a member of staff to get added to the group.

I recommend Prometeus, the best provider ever!

Comments

• Good addition.

Different.

• LeeLee Member
      edited August 2015

This I like. Although what checks?

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• @Lee said:

successful payment of "corporate membership". didn't you get the offer email this morning?

free trial zilore monitoring

• successful payment of "corporate membership". didn't you get the offer email this morning?

Heaven forbid if LET even starts to think about that..

If the future of the webhosting industry is dictated by a corporate title tag.. we have a HUGE issue. Help make it stop by boycotting WebHostingTalk

• @Dillybob said:
      Heaven forbid if LET even starts to think about that..

You will have to update your sig

Different.

• Awesome move. Should also prevent people from posting in the Offers section without meeting the minimum requirements.

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• DillybobDillybob Member
      edited August 2015

@TinyTunnel_Tom said:
      You will have to update your sig

I really hope not, although... If hosting companies are being checked I don't have an issue regardless the amount they bought the title for. (Part of business). It's just when they start handing it out for a flat payment and not do any check ups on them is when I have an issue and that is EXACTLY what WHT is doing. Shameful to the hosting and business industry.

If the future of the webhosting industry is dictated by a corporate title tag.. we have a HUGE issue. Help make it stop by boycotting WebHostingTalk

• @Traffic said:
      Awesome move. Should also prevent people from posting in the Offers section without meeting the minimum requirements.

"community offers" perhaps is the place for those offers. maybe there's some new rules coming.

anyway, it's very VPSB. not that it's a bad thing.

Thanked by 1MannDude

free trial zilore monitoring

• @Lee said:

Whether they comply with our rules and guidelines. We don't test for quality or trustworthiness. Mostly whether they have a website etc.

Thanked by 1Lee

• jhjh Member

WHC required that their offer-posting members jump through quite a few hoops before gaining access and, with a few exceptions, it works well. The offer quality there is fairly high.

Greetings of the day!!!!

• XiNiXXiNiX Member, Provider
      edited August 2015

VPS BOARD also, has a nice system of verification.

Thanked by 1MannDude

XiNiX™ InfoTech Pvt. Ltd. : Virtual & Dedicated Servers in US / EU & India
      Our Very Limited Shared / VPS / Cloud & Dedicated , Promotional Offers > [ Special Offers ]

• Hey @mpkossen. For community offers why not expand it from just VPS. Say VPN

Different.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
      Hey mpkossen. For community offers why not expand it from just VPS. Say VPN

Not keen on VPN offers personally. But @Jar's mail hosting offers would sure be welcome.

Thanked by 1doghouch

vrtz.net Cheap VPS Servers Offers - now with EXCLUSIVE offers! (all links are aff links)
      $12/year HostUS Deal (768MB RAM+768MB vSwap)$11.29/year GestionDBI Deal (768MB RAM)

• @Traffic said:
      Not keen on VPN offers personally. But Jar's mail hosting offers would sure be welcome.

Sort of what I was thinking.

Different.

• @TinyTunnel_Tom said:
      Hey mpkossen. For community offers why not expand it from just VPS. Say VPN

That will be considered eventually.

• good addition

Favourite host in general: Ramnode (affiliate link)
      Favourite host for hourly billing/custom ISOs: Vultr ($50 free credit for new accounts, affiliate link)

• Fuck offers with zero post count.

Thanked by 3Traffic Lee netomx
    • LeeLee Member

No private whois either, I know it can be faked easy enough however the honest folks out there will not have an issue being just that, honest.

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt

• @Lee said:
      No private whois either, I know it can be faked easy enough however the honest folks out there will not have an issue being just that, honest.

We already require either a public whois or proof of registration. We could change that in the future.

• I'm here to collect your heart

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
      edited August 2015

If a member is part of the provider group, I think it's okay to remove their member title. It's kinda redundant and weird. Just like you are an administrator, you don't put member behind that.

• LeeLee Member

TheOnlyDK said: If a member is part of the provider group, I think it's okay to remove their member title. It's kinda redundant and weird. Just like you are an administrator, you don't put member behind that.

Makes it easier to see who is approved to post offers though.

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:
      If a member is part of the provider group, I think it's okay to remove their member title. It's kinda redundant and weird. Just like you are an administrator, you don't put member behind that.

+1 on this! I found it a bit wierd.... :P

Gestion DBI Inc. | IT Consulting, Telecommunications, Domotic/Security and Hosting provider.
      DeepNet Solutions | OpenVZ VPS for Cheap! | Only the best Cloud KVM VPS.

• @Lee said:

Time to read my friend. (I said remove the "Member" title, NOT the "provider" one).

• LeeLee Member

TheOnlyDK said: Time to read my friend. (I said remove the "Member" title, NOT the "provider" one).

My reading was fine however I accept and acknowledge my reply appeared out of context.

Just for clarity, I am not your friend.

• TheOnlyDK said: If a member is part of the provider group, I think it's okay to remove their member title. It's kinda redundant and weird. Just like you are an administrator, you don't put member behind that.

What if a moderator or administrator was the part of provider group?

Thanked by 1Spirit
    • mikhomikho Member, Provider

@vedran said:

Check offer about LES. Should answer your question.

Get a LES NAT VPS! (or 10) in United States (3), Germany, Bulgaria, France, Norway, Australia (2), Singapore. | -> 500gb NAT Storage
    • This is what I have been doing on vpsBoard since it's beginning and it's a great system. Keeps (most) the riff-raff and garbage offers out. Glad to see other forums following.

-MannDude

• nuggets how now feed family? rice bowl empty. happy @kossen fix glasses.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/60997/rajasinet-cheap-vps-hosting-in-jacksonville

• HostMyBytesHostMyBytes Member
      edited August 2015

Pardon the ignorance, but what is WHC?
      Is it Web Hosting Column, from back in the day?

Jacksonville VPS with 99.9% Uptime from $2/m

Brisbane? Nuremberg? Los Angeles too? Even the UK? That's right! Tons of locations for shared hosting

• how about the same thing applies to signatures? No commercial offers in signatures without approval. How about no commercial offers in your signature unless you OWN the host that the offers are for. (Cutting out all the sig spamming affiliate middlemen.)

Thanked by 1rm_
    • wychwych Member

@JoeMerit said:
      how about the same thing applies to signatures? No commercial offers in signatures without approval. How about no commercial offers in your signature unless you OWN the host that the offers are for. (Cutting out all the sig spamming affiliate middlemen.)

Have you seen 'kossen's sig?

Taking a hiatus.

• ya he's one of the exceptions.. he doesnt post absolute garbage in threads just to spread his links around.

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
      edited August 2015

@vedran said:

A mod is a mod, different than a member. A provider is still considered a member of the community. Before we introduced the provider tag, we never had a mod as "moderator, member", it is just weird.

@Lee said:
      Just for clarity, I am not your friend.

Sure dude. I always thought that an extra friend is an extra path, sorry if I offended you by being friendly.

• DalCompDalComp Member
      edited August 2015

/me monkey

Thanked by 1NeoXiD

I'm here to collect your heart

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member, Provider
      edited August 2015

This is actually a pretty good idea. It really should have been implemented a long time ago.

• 30-day offer ban for those using the community offers without reading the rules.

• Nekki said: 30-day offer ban for those using the community offers without reading the rules.

First offense second offense give them a more permanent solution for a bit. People really need to start reading the rules around here. Most can't even conceive of the $7 rule anymore.

The Bun | Primary DNS | Small Web <--- Do not ask questions, just go for it.

• @Nekki said:
      30-day offer ban for those using the community offers without reading the rules.

I'm going a bit easy on people right now, as not everybody either notices, or bothers to read, the announcement.

Once the daily load of PMs has subsided a bit and this has been added to the Rules and Guidelines we may start imposing penalties eventually.

Thanked by 1Nekki

• komputerkingkomputerking Member, Provider

Is there an ability to display a link to this thread from the "Post Discussion" section if your account is limited? I failed to notice this in the new discussions section, and figured that my account was limited as opposed to needing to contact an admin to re-instate my ability to post in the offers section.

• @ftpit_cameron said:
      Is there an ability to display a link to this thread from the "Post Discussion" section if your account is limited? I failed to notice this in the new discussions section, and figured that my account was limited as opposed to needing to contact an admin to re-instate my ability to post in the offers section.

No.

We expect every member to take note of announcements. They're on top of the recent discussion list and marked as unread from the moment they're posted. The only way to miss it is to not pay attention or to skip the front page and go straight to the offers section.

To put it harshly: if you don't know, it's your own fault.

Thanked by 1HostMyBytes

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Provider
      edited August 2015

I think we should force all members to use Bing search engine, thus allowing them to post offers.

• @shovenose said:
      I think we should force all members to use Bing search engine, thus allowing them to post offers.

Bing is ugh

Thanked by 1shovenose
    • rm_rm_ Member
      edited August 2015

@mpkossen What about IPv6 in offers on LEB, http://lowendbox.com/blog/cloudieweb-4-50month-512mb-linux-or-windows-kvm-in-new-jersey/ has none. I thought you will require IPv6 from now on. Got 98 thanks at the moment: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1217197/#Comment_1217197

Thanked by 2Dylan bersy
    • wychwych Member

rm_ said: Got 98 thanks at the moment

98 99.

Taking a hiatus.

@rm_ said:
      mpkossen What about IPv6 in offers on LEB, http://lowendbox.com/blog/cloudieweb-4-50month-512mb-linux-or-windows-kvm-in-new-jersey/ has none. I thought you will require IPv6 from now on. Got 98 thanks at the moment: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1217197/#Comment_1217197

If I remember correct it was said that september would be an IPv6 month?
      Some offers had been queued formsome time and it wouldn't be fair to remove them when a post had been promised.

Get a LES NAT VPS! (or 10) in United States (3), Germany, Bulgaria, France, Norway, Australia (2), Singapore. | -> 500gb NAT Storage
    • rm_rm_ Member

mikho said: If I remember correct it was said

You can click the URL provided and read exactly what was said... nothing about limiting that to September whatsoever.

@rm_ said:
      You can click the URL provided and read exactly what was said... nothing about limiting that to September whatsoever.

Changes doesn't happen over night. New received/found offers will be ipv6.
      The queue will have to be cleared before that.

• rm_rm_ Member

@mikho are you the appointed spokesman on this issue? Because I remember asking @mpkossen, not someone else.

This discussion has been closed.