Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ByteShack.net/DrServer.net Review - Absolutely fantastic (5 month review)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ByteShack.net/DrServer.net Review - Absolutely fantastic (5 month review)

edited July 2015 in Providers

Review of DrServer.net (ByteShack and Ninja brands)

DrServer.net was one of those companies who I've always liked the sound of, but never got around to trying until February this year. I've only tried the Dallas location, but I've been pleasantly surprised with the performance, even of the smaller virtual machines.

Pricing and features

The pricing of the ByteShack brand is competitive. When you realise you're getting Xen HVM, along with Raid 10 SSDs, it seems far more reasonable. The servers are solid and high performing too, but more on that in the next section.

I like the DrServer brands because they're memorable, and unique. The music on the ByteShack website is pretty awesome :)

Benchmarks

CPU model : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz Number of cores : 2 CPU frequency : 2266.824 MHz Total amount of ram : 487 MB Total amount of swap : 510 MB System uptime : 17 min, Download speed from CacheFly: 47.6MB/s Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 6.34MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 35.8MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 8.77MB/s Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 6.32MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 16.4MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 4.64MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 25.1MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 16.5MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 8.85MB/s I/O speed : 162 MB/s

That's the benchmark from my ByteShack.net server. Pretty fantastic network speeds globally, and very good IO. The sequential IO speed isn't representative of the fantastic random read/write performance of the SSDs though, in my opinion - it performs much better than these numbers would indicate.

Uptime

100% all time uptime according to Uptime Robot. However, my VM did experience some downtime (about 1 hour overall over the last 5 months, most of it one on occasion, with a few shorter issues of around 5 minutes), and I submitted a ticket to see what was going on.

The first reply took 15 minutes, then the next 6 minutes. They also notified me when the node was back online (about 10 minutes later), which is unusual, as most hosts simply leave you to find this out for yourself.

The one "curiosity" was that it looked like my ticket had been assigned to two support representatives, and I received duplicate replies, within about 10 seconds of eachother. Wasn't a problem, as there was no conflicting information, I just found it quite interesting (and amusing :) )

Support & Communication

I cannot express how fantastic the support is. At first, I had a small VPS, and the IO speed was slightly lower than I'd expected from Raid 10 SSDs. It wasn't slow enough to be a problem (115MB/s with dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync), but I thought I'd ask, just to see how he reacted. I was given a larger VM for testing, and the IO speed was much higher there. It turned out that it was due to the CPU priority of the smaller VM. I appreciated the honesty and kindness.

Andrej is amazing, kind, helpful, and spends massive amounts of time helping me. I have communicated with him on Skype various times, and he's been so helpful.

For my most recent purchase, I wanted yearly payment on something that wasn't available on the website on yearly payment, so I asked Andrej on Skype. After I'd gone through, and he'd activated the order, I got the message:

"I have doubled resources just in case"

It's so unusual for a host to do something like that, and it made me very happy. (I thought I should mention this, so LET doesn't think I'm withholding anything that could influence the review)

I am so grateful for their helpful and kind attitude.

Overall opinion

Fantastic. Great pricing, well performing product, fast and helpful support. I really couldn't want any more from a host.

I was using them to host a fairly large XenForo forum, and the performance was stunning. XenForo is database heavy, and the previous shared hosting from a different company often timed out under traffic. This VPS never exceeded 0.2 load, and many users commented on the vastly improved website speed.

Proof of ownership

Comments

• YellowHummingbird said: I like the DrServer brands because they're memorable, and unique

This is exactly why I like to check out the websites for each (new) @drserver brand!

• BradBrad Member

We're glad you're enjoying the service and thanks for the review!

YellowHummingbird said: The one "curiosity" was that it looked like my ticket had been assigned to two support representatives, and I received duplicate replies, within about 10 seconds of eachother. Wasn't a problem, as there was no conflicting information, I just found it quite interesting.

Can you PM the ticket # regarding this? I would like to see what really happened.

Thanked by 1YellowHummingbird
  • @Brad said:
    We're glad you're enjoying the service and thanks for the review!

• We are happy to see that you are enjoying your stay at drserver.

Again if you have any issues on our services or just simple enquiries don't hesitate in asking us, we have no problem in answering.

Thank you for choosing drserver :)

• edited July 2015

@Gadelhas said:
    We are happy to see that you are enjoying your stay at drserver.
    Thank you for choosing drserver :)

And thanks to all of you for providing a fantastic customer experience :)

• why every link in drserver.net is off?

• edited July 2015

@toirdaprr said:
    why every link in drserver.net is off?

I'm not sure, actually :/ I'm sure their staff will look into it soon for you, though, if they see this.

Here is a list of their brands that I can remember off the top of my head for now - you can see their offerings there if you want :)

http://byteshack.net

http://abusivecores.com

http://sugarvps.com

http://dirtcheap.ninja

http://www.xenstorage.com

You can also see a list of most of their plans (excluding specials) at https://drserver.net/drbill/?cmd=cart&action=add&id=136

I hope that helps :)

Edit: edited to fix formatting

• drserverdrserver Member, Host Rep

thank you for your review. however i have to apologize to everyone. After we have introduced 4usd / year hosting we are pounded with ddos ever minute for more than 48 hours.

Thank you

• Another 7 months along and the service is still fantastic.

I'm very much enjoying my Byteshack VPSs and haven't noticed any downtime or performance problems at all.

I did have to submit a ticket a while ago about some IPv6 issues, but they were resolved very well by the support staff - who are always kind, courteous and prompt.

Their DataMotel shared hosting is also performing well for one of my friends, who I recommended them too.

Thanked by 3Radi Brad Ndha
  • possible to have more disk on vanilla plan? @drserver

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Jazzy8999 said:
    possible to have more disk on vanilla plan? drserver

How much do you need?

• @Radi said:

120GB would be fits my need

• I'm using the Viking Layer brand, love it. Thanks for the review update!

• BradBrad Member

@Jazzy8999 said:

Open a ticket, we'll see what we can do.

• NdhaNdha Member

I'm using @drserver Byteshack LA for almost 1 year

can confirm great uptime, solid vm, great support/quote request

missing Andrej lately, maybe he is so busy lol..

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31230 @ 3.20GHz
    CPU Cores   : 2
    Frequency   : 3200.060 MHz
    Memory  : 1992 MB
    Swap        : 0 MB
    Uptime  : 331 day, 22:20,

OS      : Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel  : 3.13.0-24-generic
    Hostname    : 

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is 

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    99.5MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat  41.7MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   56.3MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   45.3MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   84.7MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   32.1MB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode  19.9MB/s 
    Singapore               Softlayer   9.88MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net    8.55MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands     Leaseweb      55.7MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 504 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 500 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 499 MB/s
    Average I/O : 501 MB/s

@Brad or @Radi can i req to change my RDNS?

cause at first time Andrej help me to setup it.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@ndha Sure you can, open a ticket or PM me with your IP and desired DNS. :)

Thanked by 1Ndha
  • NdhaNdha Member

@Radi said:
    ndha Sure you can, open a ticket or PM me with your IP and desired DNS. :)

I'll chat you in facebook then ;)

Thanked by 1Radi
  • sirmbhesirmbhe Member
    edited March 2016

I agree, they are great and Andrej is fantastic. Have about 3 vm, 2 years ago with them, and it is just great.

Thanked by 1Brad